[0.22 - new build] Mercury Redstone, Atlas and Little Joe. Project Moho.

I somehow think Mulbin is going to go slightly overboard when he gets to Gemini. (Maybe something along the lines of two Mk-1 Pods clipped together to make two seats with separate hatches)

funny you'd say that. I've been playing around with the Gemini program for a while and always used the small pods..

screenshot174.png

screenshot178.png

But earlier this week i tried to make a 2 person Gemini space craft. gemini.JPG

@Mulbin

Very nice work

Think you have beaten my Ancient Launcher designs in every way.

regards

Thanks! That's a hell of a review your thread is the inspiration for many rocket builders! But I don't agree that my craft are better, just a different approach.... my designs are really about looks, I think your ships are much more efficiently designed. I get the impression you start out with the idea of making the ship ACT just like the real thing, and you get it spot on... where I start by making it LOOK just like the real thing, but I have to make compromises like using the wrong type of engine, or clipping the occasional fuel tank... or using far too many parts just to make them work. And of course you have made soooooooo many ships!

Also your craft don't melt computers :)

Edit - you were also the inspiration for adding launch pads to these craft. You are the master of launchpad design!

Edited by Mulbin

I'm so excited for Gemini! I can't wait to see what you've come up with! :)

Still fighting it to get the last DV in. At the moment you can get into orbit but the last few DV have to be done with the RCS on the service module. Which is a pain if you want to do Gemini 1 as that stayed attached to the second stage... ideally I need it to achieve a perfect 70km Orbit with the second stage still in place. So close, currently gets a 71km by 58km orbit! Fuel will still be tight in the finished thing :)

In other news... rocket is about 500 parts... plus launch tower! Will trim the odd spare strut as I go, still a lot lest than Munbug's 850 parts!

Also your craft don't melt computers

:)

You are the master of launchpad design!

i7 3770K @3,5Ghz

16GB Ram

Nvida Gforce GTX680

250GB SSD

...just runs with everything i need.....

yes the launchpads...hehe - hope they lead to better stock sollutions, would like to have one pad for every type of rocket i launch - just like reality....

regards

Very, very jealous of that setup. I'm on a bulldozer 6 core @ 3.8 (which is great for a cheaper processor - not as good as an i7 though) 8 gig Ram and an old GTX260 O/C I start to get slowdown at about 450-500 parts with full graphics. SSD is something I really want... but unlikely to be 250GB, that's massive!

A little off-topic, but I just noticed that my model of a mercury-atlas that I got from Florida 13 years ago has 3 engines on that stage-and-a-half thing. Is this just a terrible model error or is someone not telling me something?

A little off-topic, but I just noticed that my model of a mercury-atlas that I got from Florida 13 years ago has 3 engines on that stage-and-a-half thing. Is this just a terrible model error or is someone not telling me something?

Sounds like an terrible model error! It should have 3 main engines in total... 2 drop off with the half stage, the center engine stays.

Here's an awesome model of it....

1-48%20Mercury%20Atlas.jpg

So your rocket had 4 engines?

Oh god! It's worse than I thought! My Gemini-Titan has 4 engines on the bottom instead of 2! My whole life has been a lie.

Though these model changes could have been made so that they would stand up better and the creators figured that no one would notice...

Oh god! It's worse than I thought! My Gemini-Titan has 4 engines on the bottom instead of 2! My whole life has been a lie.

Though these model changes could have been made so that they would stand up better and the creators figured that no one would notice...

Ha... yes that's definitely wrong. If the model is all in one piece it should appear to have 3 engines... the center engine poked through the middle of the half stage, but didn't drop off with it.

• 2 weeks later...
I could not. Figure out. How to make. Those Redstone fins. And yet. You did it.

You freaking genius.

As Giggleplex say, they are inverted fins... you can do quite a lot with clipped fins, have a look at my early rockets thread (you can find it via my shipyard), the V2 has particularly interesting fins :)

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.