[WIP] KerbTown v0.13 Beta - Place static buildings, cities, launch sites & more!

Razchek

Just saying- KSP REALLY doesn't like overpasses- the camera tries to stay above them. And the kerbtown plugin seems to occasionally (rarely, but it has happened) cause vehicles in my game to flip out and either phase THROUGH the surface, or shoot off in an indeterminate direction.

Edit: Also, the last update (most recent) on the githhub was last month on the 30th.

Link: https://github.com/HoneyFox/KerbTown

Edited by Mekan1k

Just saying- KSP REALLY doesn't like overpasses- the camera tries to stay above them. And the kerbtown plugin seems to occasionally (rarely, but it has happened) cause vehicles in my game to flip out and either phase THROUGH the surface, or shoot off in an indeterminate direction.

Edit: Also, the last update (most recent) on the githhub was last month on the 30th.

Link: https://github.com/HoneyFox/KerbTown

I forgot to push the code changes of the latest version. :P

Changes are: lat/lon input & camera fixes.

Hoping that its just a glitch , but the link to kerbtown dl is deaded, discovered a pile of models from a game i modded a while ago but never released, fancied seeing them in Kerbtown, I believe form reading through the topic that it would be possible for me to add them.. or am I mistaken?

Hay guys, I noticed a major problem that came with ARM, the camera now snaps to the top of the topmost collider. For example if you want to look under the overpass, the camera will snap to the top of it, this screws a lot of things, such as going inside buildings, tunnels, and much more! This didn't happen before 0.23.5.

I can see why devs did this (to prevent camera going underground or through buildings) but it completely destroys the possibilities of what we were trying to do.

Here is a video of what's going on when I enter the tunnel:

I wish someone makes a mod that solves this problem, otherwise, Kerbin City is basically screwed.

Edited by nothke

So is there a version available (and downloadable easily) for .23.5? I've heard rumor that .23 broke compatibility and had problems.... Is this true?

It does work, the only thing is that the spawn points have moved because spawn point transform naming has changed, otherwise it works all fine with HoneyFox's update

It does work, the only thing is that the spawn points have moved because spawn point transform naming has changed, otherwise it works all fine with HoneyFox's update

Alright next Q, someone said that his link was all messed up.... Is it?

Link is quite hidden in the middle of all the posts :) it's an easter game on its own !

@HoneyFox and others: I found the guilty for the orbital launchpad control lock issue => VOID, for one reason or another, there is an uncaught exception with a NaN value and as KSP is not protected enough against plug-in failure, it does weird things. I've remove VOID, test a few times with some rockets, no issue.

EDIT: I'm wrong, VOID seems to be not guilty, as I have a flooding of

[untitled Space Craft]: ground contact! - error: 0.013m

with various error values. I'll try with putting spawn point a bit upper.

By the way, is there any way to get orbital speed for a given altitude ? Just to add it by default as for now, at 100 kms, anything "falling" from the launchpad start at 0 m/s, whereas at such altitude, it should be something between 1000-2000 m/s for a perfect circular orbit I guess.

Edited by Justin Kerbice
VOID is not guilty

I wish someone makes a mod that solves this problem, otherwise, Kerbin City is basically screwed.

It's annoying, but there's always IVA. Given the options now available thanks to RPM etc., that's not something I mind much. Flying with a stick makes IVA flight much nicer.

Hay guys, I noticed a major problem that came with ARM, the camera now snaps to the top of the topmost collider. For example if you want to look under the overpass, the camera will snap to the top of it, this screws a lot of things, such as going inside buildings, tunnels, and much more! This didn't happen before 0.23.5.

I can see why devs did this (to prevent camera going underground or through buildings) but it completely destroys the possibilities of what we were trying to do.

It's sad :sealed:

I don't think it's so screwed as you wrote, you, and all people involved in the project, first focus on making just building without thinking of the inside (it's not a GTA clone after all ;) ), it's something great to have buildings to walk around at least, driving in the street, ...

For the camera, it looks like you use ONLY the default one (free), have you tried the others ?

According to its behaviour on island runway anyway, KSP camera are not really a FPS/GTA style, and they behave weirdly (KSP don't know what to focus one and switch back and forth very fast between two points, one below and one above the hangar) "inside" the two hangars and also when you walk inside the huge control tower (in 0.23).

Also, someone made a 1st person view camera which may help here or not, it's worth to try.

There is also Hull camera mod which include a few new cameras which can be put on plane/rover and switch to it before going under/inside things.

Keep up the good work and don't let an idiot camera drag you down.

Is it possible to use Kerbtown to create duplicate KSC in different places that can be used as launch points?

Say for a Multiplayer save sharing game...?

If you just want to have multiple launch sites, it's possible by getting some pad/runway model and create instances all around the planet, then select which to launch via the list in VAB/SPH.

If you want these surrounding buildings in KSC as well... no, KerbTown cannot clone these stock buildings. But still you can find modelers to create other buildings that look similar to (or totally different from) them.

If you just want to have multiple launch sites, it's possible by getting some pad/runway model and create instances all around the planet, then select which to launch via the list in VAB/SPH.

If you want these surrounding buildings in KSC as well... no, KerbTown cannot clone these stock buildings. But still you can find modelers to create other buildings that look similar to (or totally different from) them.

I'm working on a set of buildings for just this purpose. About 60% done so far.

Awesome news. To the planning chamber!

I'm working on a set of buildings for just this purpose. About 60% done so far.

Also awesome news!

I really want to use this mod, but the link goes to http://localhost/files/KerbTownPlugin.zip

That doesn't work at all. it doesn't connect. please make a new mediafire link for me someone :(

Hmm yes, this is correct. I can download the manual however.

I really want to use this mod, but the link goes to http://localhost/files/KerbTownPlugin.zip

That doesn't work at all. it doesn't connect. please make a new mediafire link for me someone :(

The OP links are out-dated...

Grab the latest version by following the Ocean Odyssey Sea Launch Platform link in my signature. :P You should be able to find the updated KerbTown's link just below that post.

I think I heard you can specify whether a kerbtown object shows up in the Available Objects list somehow? So, eg, I can place an object, then for release I remove the object from the available object list so players have to go find where I placed it instead of just placing a fresh copy themselves.

I have now explored the Eve Easter Egg and on the note, thats on the wooden table, i read this:

>We´ve gone to southern Tylo - see you there!<

Is there another easter egg planed for tylo in the future?

oyOa6tq.jpg

Edited by KnutG