The COMPLETE KSP Blender Tutorial! [Video Back!]

yes, you use blender, or 3d deskmax heres a tutorial that will help better. Assuming you can read it. ;)

http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/~kerbalsp/wiki/index.php?title=Making_an_asset_from_start_to_finish

Ok, I have the dea file, the part.cfg file and the texture, butI don\'t know how to make the mesh file. Can someone tell me correctly a exactly how to do that, I from the Netherlands so my English reading isn\'t really good.

Ok, I have the dea file, the part.cfg file and the texture, butI don\'t know how to make the mesh file. Can someone tell me correctly a exactly how to do that, I from the Netherlands so my English reading isn\'t really good.

Do you mean the colliding mesh? because the dea file is a mesh...its the part model.

Do you mean the colliding mesh? because the dea file is a mesh...its the part model.

No, when you open a map of a part you see 4 things: textures map, dea file, cfg part file and mesh map. My problem is, I don\'t where you can make the mesh file (or I alredy maked one but I can\'t find them maybe).

Maybe you understand if you open my part map, here the attach:

No, when you open a map of a part you see 4 things: textures map, dea file, cfg part file and mesh map. My problem is, I don\'t where you can make the mesh file (or I alredy maked one but I can\'t find them maybe).

Maybe you understand if you open my part map, here the attach:

EDIT: Got her working! As far as I can tell at least, gotta add a command pod to my test version. The problem was that your '.dea' file was without a name. so it didn\'t match the 'highfueltank.dea' you set in the cfg file. But it looks like that wasn\'t the only issue. The textures seem to not be working...I\'m really not sure what the problem is there as I\'m still new to blender but at least I could load it up. I couldn\'t get mine to work for the life of me.

Oh I understand! The .meshs are made BY KSP during the loading process. They take the DEA file and export 4 or so meshes to the folder to cut down on load times and allow modders to release parts without releasing their actual work so to speak.

I looked at your file and everything looks correct, I\'m throwing it ksp and checking it now.

My part works good now, only one problem, the 2 green dots to stack on a part is far away of the part itself:

you need to edit the...one moment...Z axis? I\'m not pisitive but basically the UP axis in the CFG file. I haven\'t got into that much yet but basically I think you can take the heigh of your craft and divide by /2

then the number you get should be positive for the topnode, and - negative for the bottomnode

Example:

Your fueltank is 3 meters long /2 = 1.5 meters so...

node_stack_top = 0.0, 1.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -1.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0

node_attach = 5.01, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1

I think it works like this but I am unsure as I haven\'t delved into learning CFGs yet.

But I can provide you this link: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/~kerbalsp/wiki/index.php?title=CFG_File_Documentation

22893815.jpg

Tnx, i\'m now making my first mod pack. I only don\'t understand how you make the Node_collider from a complecated part and how you make textures from an other figure like a sphere. Maybe handy to make a small movie about how you do that.

Tnx, i\'m now making my first mod pack. I only don\'t understand how you make the Node_collider from a complecated part and how you make textures from an other figure like a sphere. Maybe handy to make a small movie about how you do that.

you don\'t understand how the node_collider is made?

And I don\'t understand your question abut the textures.

you don\'t understand how the node_collider is made?

And I don\'t understand your question abut the textures.

Well, in the movie you can see how you make the texture of a cylinder, but how you make a texture of other figures like a sphere or something.

And also, if you made a big model with al small thing on it, how you made then the node_collider, just copy or what?

Well, in the movie you can see how you make the texture of a cylinder, but how you make a texture of other figures like a sphere or something.

And also, if you made a big model with al small thing on it, how you made then the node_collider, just copy or what?

Well your not making the texture for something in that situation, only the UV coordinates. The texture is the art you use to color it.

I usually just do it the same way. I don\'t doo cylender projection or anything I just place them and its worked out fine...for the UV mapping that is.

As for a big model just make a shape somewhat similar. The idea is not to mimic every single surface of your model, just the rough outline.

rusty: got your part loading, its attached.

The main issue is Capitalization. module-types are case sensitive, as are node names in models.

The original:

Name = testpod

module = commandpod

needed to be:

name = testpod

module = CommandPod

As well, inside of your DAE file, you had the collider named Node_Collider - it must be node_collider in lowercase.

You also had improper caps here:

Manufacturer = Rusty

Description = blah

Fixing those left one final problem with loading, and I finally traced it back to:

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.5

note that the 7th parameter of node definitions defines the size of the node, and its just a flag, either 1 or 0. No other numbers are valid. You can do 1.0 and 0.1 if you want, but the decimals are not required:

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

1 gives you the bigger blue nodes, 0 gives you the tiny pink ones for smaller parts.

In the end I ended up editing the stock mk1pod cfg with your info, so I left out some of the extra things you had added to the edtior parameters and left the default values; some of them would have messed you up, and you can experiment now that its loaded to make changes as needed. Note that for all values less than 0, you need the leading 0, so use 0.5 instead of just .5 (just for readability sake, if nothing else)

Its not 'done' yet though, for some reason the top and bottom of your pod are transparent in game. I looked at them in blender, and they\'re UVMapped properly and the normals are pointed in the right direction, so I am not sure why they\'re transparent. I\'ll look at them again later if no one else figures it out.

Installed unity 3.5.3 + KSP PartTools 015 on my desktop: no problems, went exactly as shown in the C7 youtube video. I\'ve successfully imported my files in to the game.

Installed unity + KSP PartTools on my new laptop: unity installed fine, got the following error upon installation (double clicking) KSP PartTools:

shader warning in \'KSP/Bumped Specular\': Not enough temporary registers, needs 9 (compiling for flash) at line 22

Uninstalled Unity, deleted KSP PartTools, cold rebooted, reinstalled from scratch. Same error. Reproducible. Laptop is an i5-3320, 4GB RAM, Win7 Professional, brand new out of the box, 1366x768, Intel HD4000. edit: see edit at bottom

I\'m on extremely limited internet, so I apologize if this is table breaking

oLmT5.jpg

Can I just disable the flash portion of the compiler (other Unity forums seem to suggest doing this, but don\'t offer how to actually do it), since obviously KSP isn\'t a flash game? Alternately, can I just slurp up my correctly compiled toolset from my desktop (what file directory(ies?)) and put them on my laptop? I\'d really like to export and fly my jumbo jet :\'(

edit: looks like there\'s a problem with the code calling too many registers on the GPU at once and is fixable.

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/272704/how-to-reduce-temporary-register-use-in-shader.html

The GPU works like is a DSP (Digital signal processor) in a pipeline mode. It\'s designed to perform the same actions on a huge stream of data. Branches are a bad idea in a shader. Try to avoid them. It\'s way better to transform your 'condition' into a value that can be computed and used as multiplier.

Those:

if ((_cliprect[0]<0) _cliprect[0]=0;
if (_cliprect[1]<0) _cliprect[1]=0;
if (_cliprect[2]<0) _cliprect[2] = _ScreenParams.x;
if (_cliprect[3]<0) _cliprect[3]= _ScreenParams.y;

really should be done by your program and not by the shader for every pixel!! You should take care of valid shader parameters from outside.

• 2 weeks later...

So now that we\'ve got EVA in 0.16, there\'s a hatch on the command pods, is this something we can implement in .dae files? AFAIK it seems to be in the model file, it\'s not in the .cfg. If so, this thread needs some updating :D

So I followed the tutorial and made my part, but the furthest it let me do in KSP was the collision mesh I think... The object worked, had a shadow, but was clear... Really confused :/

Have you checked your textures? i.e. made sure textures are in there places, model is assigned the texture, texture format. I know it\'s been a week, but hopefully either you figured it out, or you found this useful!

So now that we\'ve got EVA in 0.16, there\'s a hatch on the command pods, is this something we can implement in .dae files? AFAIK it seems to be in the model file, it\'s not in the .cfg. If so, this thread needs some updating :D

Have you checked your textures? i.e. made sure textures are in there places, model is assigned the texture, texture format. I know it\'s been a week, but hopefully either you figured it out, or you found this useful!

Yeah turns out they weren\'t assigned properly :) cheers!

Hi, I\'ve made a model and texture, the model and collider and stacking nodes all work but the texture does not :(

This is how it looks ingame:

9rLlT.jpg

I tried loading the model in PartLab and get the error message:

'Cfg Parsing...

Warning: Texture file not found!

NullReferenceExeption: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

NullReferenceExeption: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

File Not Found

IndexOutOfRangeExeption: Array index is out of range.'

I have checked the part.cfg and the texture name is correct as far as I know.

I have attached the texture, cfg file and dae file. The dae and cfg is in the same folder and the texture is in a folder called 'texture' if that matters.

Any help would be appreciated

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.