I just bought this game in the Steam sale... No ships work for me?

A friend told me this game was fun to mess around with... I saw it in the Steam sale and grabbed it... My rockets won't fire and I don't know what I am doing wrong though... I have tried both building my own and loading default ships and nothing functions other than changing stages.

Like I load up the ship "Kerbal X" for example... I get on the launch pad, turn on SAS, and hit space bar... The rockets "go off" that is to say they make noise and the fuel indicator appears... But then nothing happens... I max out the speed modifier and weeks go by with the ship just sitting there making noise and nothing else happening, fuel isn't draining and it isn't animating any rocket exhaust, but it still makes noise and shows indicators. Pressing space bar again makes the ship then fall off of its launch stilts... And subsequent presses make stages fall off and the likes...

What am I doing wrong here, this happens on any ship default or otherwise and any type of rocket?

I have tried running in admin mode, safe mode, I have deleted and reinstalled, verified integrity of the game cache, etc...?

Thanks

I wonder what would have been faster.. taking a look in the options menu for key bindings or writing this whole post?

Tsk. Don't be harsh. Be welcoming instead.

OP, watch this in its entirety, and it will be very helpful.

Isn't there even a tutorial on this? In game?

Not yet. It's a game that is still in development. After they've added campaign mode then they'll probably turn their attention to tutorials. For now it is a learn by doing thing.

Not yet. It's a game that is still in development. After they've added campaign mode then they'll probably turn their attention to tutorials. For now it is a learn by doing thing.

There's the training, right above scenarios that'll at least get you off the ground.

Hey, I will cheerfully admit I did the very same thing on my first play of KSP and I think it's something about 90% of users experience. It's just one of those things you need to learn the hard way, like touching a hot pot on the stove. Ya don't smack the kid's hand away, let him touch it. Guaranteed he will never do it again or question your warnings.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Isn't there even a tutorial on this? In game?

There's the whole "Training" section under "Start game". The second one teaches you how to launch and fly a rocket. If anything the tutorials in KSP now are more comprehensive than most finished games...

This happened to me, too. Along with trying to use RCS thrusters without having RCS fuel... and trying to fly rockets without ASAS... good times...

I tend to have the opposite problem. I put RCS on my rockets, then never put any thrusters on.

I frequently put RCS, thrusters, and docking ports on my craft and then suddenly realize, wait, your not coming within a Gm of another craft you don't need that.

"You never know when you might need it! Going to a moon with vacuum? Bring a Barometer anyway! YOU NEVER KNOW! No probe cores? Bring batteries and RTGs and panels anyway, JUST IN CASE!"

In order to launch you need:

Some sort of control module (capsule or computer one)

fuel (if using liquid)

Rocket motor

Connection between motor and fuel (automatic if the motor is under the fuel tank)

On the launch pad:

1) "T" for ASAS

2) hold "left shift" to throttle up (little indicator on the left of the nav-ball) for solid fuel rockets, this isn't needed.

3) press "space" to activate the first stage.

4) crash many, many times

"You never know when you might need it! Going to a moon with vacuum? Bring a Barometer anyway!-snip-

I tend to always do this...

(except I need an rtg to power the life support mod.)

I wonder what would have been faster.. taking a look in the options menu for key bindings or writing this whole post?

I wonder what would have been faster... writing your reply, or actually answering a newcomer's question? (See what I did there?) :cool:

there's a built in tutorial. the forum shouldn't have to answer this kind of stuff

And your problem with helping new players is? Just yesterday I was commenting in a different thread, saying that out of all the gaming forums I've signed up for, KSP has by far the most helpful and friendly community out there. Then I see the smart-asses in this thread and it's some of the first evidence to the contrary. Maybe some of you need to climb down off of that mile-high horse you're on and remember what it was like the first time you started the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.