How is eve so purple?

fenderzilla

Cold LAVA, as in "no longer molten" ... Aaargh!

Stop nitpicking on me when it is 32° C outside with a disgusting level of humidity! :P

"I've had it with you, I've had it with ALL THIS! I want ROOM SERVICE!"

Now ... that's better ... snacks?

Grape juice vapor, rock candy, and radioactive mud.

I knew it! D:< my kerbals, after washing them, put chunks of eve rocks in the snacks compartment. they say it tastes like grape rock candy.

My theory is the Kerbal system is based on food for the most part.

Moho Chocolate. It's close proximity to the sun, Moho could use a hard outer shell to keep it from melting.

Eve Grape. Contains Anthocyanin.

Gilly Swedish meatball.

Kerbin Earth counterpart. No known food counterpart.

Mun Moon counterpart. Swiss cheese maybe but the color's off.

Minmus Mint green frosting or icecream. Leading Kerbal scientists are still hotly divided over this. Even within the pro icecream side it has fractured into arguments (food fights) over whether it's sherbet or sorbet.

Duna Mars equivalent.

Ike Lump of coal and not food at all.

Dres Snowball?

Jool Watermelon most definitely.

Pol Pollen spore.

Bop Italian meatball. Slightly larger than Swedish (See Gilly).

Tylo Swiss cheese again? Maybe Mun is Baby Swiss?

Vall Horned Mellon? Well that could be a bit of a stretch since they are orange in color.

Laythe Unknown. Just water and sandy beaches. Maybe an indirect link to those adult beverages with their fancy glasses and the little umbrellas. Just need to add a few beach chairs and some Tiki huts.

Eeloo Jawbreaker candy.

This MIGHT be True, But my kerbals eat eve anyway. my kerbals run out of snacks sometimes. they will need more snacks. snacks are life supports to my kerbals.

Serious part (I might be wrong in any or all of these):

Random Replies to random ideas.

Argon: No, argon is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. (and a gas)

Mercury: Possible, But it would need something to make it purple. if it was pure mercury, it would be silver when a rover went under (a underwater rover can be made with rocket(s) pushing it down)

Potassium permanganate: I dont think so, i think that stuff is like an oxidizer, and also that must mean the liquid is water.

Thats all, FOR NOW

Edited by Firenexus13
Added serious part.

dude, google image search for argon.

Try not to use the word "dude" when correcting people, it makes you sound less credible. Normal argon is colorless. You need to apply high voltage to make it glow, which is how they use it in lighting.

• 2 weeks later...

what about manganese phosphate and cobalt violet? they're very purple minerals.

it could also be a complex organic compound like tyrian purple, which could have formed spontaneously from amino acids in eve's atmosphere. it doesn't sound likely, but keep in mind that it's not unheard of for complex organic molecules to form abiotically (I wouldn't be sitting here if it weren't for pheneomena like this)

New discovery in real-world to help you!

Aug. 5, 2013  Using infrared data from the Subaru Telescope in Hawaii, an international team of astronomers has imaged a giant planet around the bright star GJ 504. Several times the mass of Jupiter and similar in size, the new world, dubbed GJ 504b, is the lowest-mass planet ever detected around a star like the sun using direct imaging techniques.

"If we could travel to this giant planet, we would see a world still glowing from the heat of its formation with a color reminiscent of a dark cherry blossom, a dull magenta," said Michael McElwain, a member of the discovery team at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "Our near-infrared camera reveals that its color is much more blue than other imaged planets, which may indicate that its atmosphere has fewer clouds."

Cite: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130805163608.htm

It's not a stupid question at all, and the answer is actually a bit complicated. Firstly having red and blue mixed together won't make purple. Purple is an illusion caused by our eyes picking up both red and blue wavelengths of light, yes, and believing that the true color of the incoming light must be purple, a color which does not actually exist. But to make purple light come in, the gases must allow red and blue light to enter the atmosphere. Simply having red or blue substances might cause them to reflect the red and/or blue light, which might lead to only green shining through. So the way to make clouds that are purple on both sides like EVE's clouds, is that they must absorb green wavelengths and scatter red and blue wavelengths without completely interfering with them. I'd suggest using a device to see a wider variety of wavelengths and finding as many gases as possible that are white overall, and checking which ones have a narrow green absorption band.

• 1 year later...

The purpleness might signal biological activity. I've red somewhere that if a planet is purple, that could mean life is thriving on the surface. Eve might have a toxic atmosphere with higher air pressure and temperatures, but it could be a great place for some microorganisms to survive there.

Think I'll just stand here for a bit waiting for one of those "Holy Necro!" or "Yo, August 2013 is the last post. Do you even read??" or "Please, don't necro posts. The dead become restless" comments to be posted. They should be happening along any minute.

(Hayhaa, I'm sure it was an honest mistake.)

Edited by Voidryder
Typo