Black and White Nav Ball and User Selctable Icons (For Colour Blind Players)

So is the black half, outer space or the ground? I'm guessing ground.

I like the customizable colors idea. :)

Actually neither... It's actually aligned to the gyros. Remember if the gyro is set with black as ground on one side of the planet then white will be ground when the spacecraft is on the other side of the planet. The gyros are just there to lock the display to a fixed frame of reference. There is no up in space after all.

Edited by NeoMorph
I must learn to speell

I've been looking at some more instances of attitude directors and the reason they are blue and brown is to denote sky and earth. As the sky in space isn't blue I think that is why they went with black and light grey... and no, neither of them denote ground, UNLESS the ship is using ORDEAL mode.

In space between the Earth and the moon they locked the nav ball to the onboard Inertial Measurement Unit or IMU. When in orbit of Earth or the Moon they used ORDEAL which stands for Orbital Rate Display Earth And Lunar. This was a box of tricks that worked out the angle of the orbit the ship was at and then rotated the 8-ball so that the pilot was shown as if the ship was horizontal to the ground. It let the pilot keep the attitude of the ship parallel to the ground.

Actually when the ship was in the IMU config they pointed the ship vertical to the ecliptic. The ecliptic is the plane that the solar system is on. They then started a slow roll which was commonly called the Barbecue Roll as one side of the ship that was in the sun was baking hot while the other side was freezing cold. To even out the temps and not freeze or boil their fuel and oxygen they did the life saving roll.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
There's a mod for that available now. Not that something similar shouldn't be stock, but if you can't wait and don't mind a mod.

Edit: A picture:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61004449/KSP/mSSTO/HCNavball.png

+1 to the suggestion.

I have problems with manuever marks and numbers, specially in the blue zone.

Where is that mod or how is it called? I was looking for it but I could not find it.

I saw there is a mod called advance navball or something like that, but i didn't see you could change colors in that. Only change navball size, which i already can do without mods.

Please. i'm interested in this mod. If someone knows how it is called, please, tell me.

I really hope the navball color custimization is added in vanilla any day sooner or later :-) .

Edit: I see Enhanced Navball mod has as intended featured indicators customization and hight contrast navball. I don't know how it is going to be done, but still, I think colors should be customizable by picking colors from a color pallette or color chooser. And again, if it was in vanilla it would still be better.

Edited by Jorbrasken

+1 to the suggestion.

I have problems with manuever marks and numbers, specially in the blue zone.

Where is that mod or how is it called? I was looking for it but I could not find it.

I saw there is a mod called advance navball or something like that, but i didn't see you could change colors in that. Only change navball size, which i already can do without mods.

Please. i'm interested in this mod. If someone knows how it is called, please, tell me.

I really hope the navball color custimization is added in vanilla any day sooner or later :-) .

The mod itself is in the fourth post of the thread I linked, here's a better link. You can look through the thread to find a texture that you like to replace the stock one. I prefer white top/black bottom navballs, I use the texture in this post.

• 9 months later...

I use texturereplacer to change the navball color but what I really need is a way to change the color of the node marker. That default blue color is nearly invisible to me!!

There's a mod for that available now. Not that something similar shouldn't be stock, but if you can't wait and don't mind a mod.

Edit: A picture:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61004449/KSP/mSSTO/HCNavball.png

GREAT another mod I now MUST have :D......ohhhhhh this list of mods is growing large again lol

oh shot for the post very useful

I am colorblind, and I would like the ability to customize all of the colors on the navball (and other parts of the interface as well...but the navball is so important to piloting that I think it's the most important thing to have this option).

So a Navball Colors section in the settings menu would be great, with color selector boxes next to text identifying different parts of the navball:

Sky color

Ground color

Text on sky color

Text on ground color

Target marker color

Etc...

(Along with some pre-set color combinations that the user could select from).

There are many variations of color vision, so giving the user the option of customizing colors would be best.

All that having been said, I (with my red-blindness) do fine with the standard colors of the KSP navball.

...although I may not be as efficient as I could be because I might not notice some of the markers as readily as you non-colorblind people can.

Edited by Brotoro

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.