The new A/SAS

Ok can someone clarify what the new command pods, and A/SAS do?

I've seen videos where the craft is heading locked yet doesn't seem to have an ASAS on it, yet from what I've seen these parts are still in.

Do the new pods have a built in ASAS and if so what do the old A/SAS do? :P

All I know is that docking fuel pods to my space station will no longer resemble vaguely waving a rubber dong in the general direction of a docking port that might be somewhere nearby.

ASAS is essentially the same in terms of the functionality it provides to your craft, with a couple of differences

>Command pods have ASAS included in them by default, so you won't need that part at all unless your vessel is controlled by a part without it (like probe cores)

>The performance is greatly improved, so it shouldn't thrash like the current one (although aerodynamically unstable craft may experience difficulties)

>Command input will override ASAS in whichever axis input is being received on (allowing you to change direction, and ASAS will resume control as soon as you release manual input)

SAS will now be a reaction wheel, these can be added to a craft to give it more rotational power for control, but it will consume electricity to provide rotational force (the force supplied by Command Pods will also require electrical charge).

NoMrBond: Thanks for clearing that up. :) I new about the improved ASAS performance and still being ale to control your ship but I didn't know whether it was still a separate part.

Pity the probe A/SAS hasn't been implemented as that is needed more than ever now.

You'll just need to include Reaction wheel (RW)/ASAS parts on your probe rockets (I'm assuming the L/S remote control parts will have the built in ASAS/RW functionality to distinguish them from the much lighter probe cores)

The amount of rotational force the command pods can produce has also be reduced, no enumeration on how much it's been reduced by (that 1-2CM and cupola could wag the whole dog before), but you might want, or need, reaction wheels on your craft for 0.21 even with a command pod

ASAS is essentially the same in terms of the functionality it provides to your craft, with a couple of differences

>Command pods have ASAS included in them by default, so you won't need that part at all unless your vessel is controlled by a part without it (like probe cores)

>The performance is greatly improved, so it shouldn't thrash like the current one (although aerodynamically unstable craft may experience difficulties)

>Command input will override ASAS in whichever axis input is being received on (allowing you to change direction, and ASAS will resume control as soon as you release manual input)

SAS will now be a reaction wheel, these can be added to a craft to give it more rotational power for control, but it will consume electricity to provide rotational force (the force supplied by Command Pods will also require electrical charge).

Didn't SAS already give more rotational control, just without power? Don't you mean extra torque, as that's what you need when your pod/probe is to weak on its own to turn your ship quickly?

Seems to be getting more and more difficult to build a compact ship. :( Now batteries, SAS and power generation will be needed.

Actually they got slightly smaller, at least for manned flights. ASAS is now included. There are now inline batteries of all three sizes (0.625, 1.25 and 2.5), which aren't as thick as the ASAS was. SAS will be still have to be used as much as it did before (so for some designs not at all). Power generation is probably not going to be needed for short missions (Kerbin orbit, Minmus/Mun landing) if you bring a decent battery.

Edited by CaptRobau

Probes have always needed power though, otherwise they become unresponsive. I don't think a small ship with a CM would need anything more than some solar panels to replenish its power, its own RW force and power storage should be enough to not need a specific RW part (power draw scales with force)

Not sure if probe cores will have a small amount of reaction force in line with their current weak force, but there are probe size (0.625m) size stack parts and things being added in 0.21 as well

Didn't SAS already give more rotational control, just without power? Don't you mean extra torque, as that's what you need when your pod/probe is to weak on its own to turn your ship quickly?

Yeah the existing SAS part doesn't take any power, although I can't remember how to interpret the Ki/Kp/Kd values for what it could do, but it uses Torque, while the CM's use lin/rotPower.

Possibly, I just remember one of the Devs saying that the current method was being depreciated in favour of the new RW system

Edited by NoMrBond

Most of the video previews I've seen of 0.21 have indicated that there is no probe-sized ASAS.

Does anyone know any different?

I would raise it in the Development forum in the hopes of getting it included in this update, but it'll just get closed under the 'no new parts' discussion rule.

the new ASAS has a few changes.

1) they removed (I'm going to assume) almost all wobble

2) you can turn while ASAS is on

the command pod reaction wheel now needs electricity to operate(I think it doesn't if you have wings but I'm not 100% sure) so if you have just a pod and want to spin it you now need to use electricity.

Most of the video previews I've seen of 0.21 have indicated that there is no probe-sized ASAS.

Does anyone know any different?

I would raise it in the Development forum in the hopes of getting it included in this update, but it'll just get closed under the 'no new parts' discussion rule.

most of the stuff being added is from the KSPX parts since it's developer now works at squad

Actually they got slightly smaller, at least for manned flights. ASAS is now included. There are now inline batteries of all three sizes (0.625, 1.25 and 2.5), which aren't as thick as the ASAS was. SAS will be still have to be used as much as it did before (so for some designs not at all). Power generation is probably not going to be needed for short missions (Kerbin orbit, Minmus/Mun landing) if you bring a decent battery.

You don't even need a huge battery - if you slap two RTGs on your command pod, you should be fine. Even if you run out of power, it'll recharge reasonably fast.

I suspect a lack of the probe ASAS being added is because they no longer are requiring separate ASAS parts to use that system, it's built into the cores and pods, apparently.

And beacuase, if you think about it, it didn't make much sense.

If balanced allowed, I'd often use the small ASAS on larger ships, and it was no different than the big one, apart from itw weight.

They'll bee a few of those to take of for me when it comes to stripping of parts when transferring craft from 0.20 to 0.21.

^ yeah, I know... which makes the probe ASAS all the more conspicuous by its' absence.

I almost only uses the probe asas and sas now, Put them on the small strut connector at the side of rockets.

The 2.5 meter version is to heavy and I only use the 1.25 meter if I have an small probe lander and need more height to mount stuff on.

All I know is that docking fuel pods to my space station will no longer resemble vaguely waving a rubber dong in the general direction of a docking port that might be somewhere nearby.

Haaaaahahahahaha...I lol'd hard at that. And now I'll never be able to dock a wobbly rocket again without that analogy in my head. Thank you..... I think?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.