No Quicksaves

IllicitMedic

OF COURSE they should remove the debug menu from career mode. I read your post, and read it again, and all you're doing is defending a list of cheats for use in the career mode, when there is a sandbox mode for you to play with them in already.

OF COURSE they should remove the debug menu from career mode. I read your post, and read it again, and all you're doing is defending a list of cheats for use in the career mode, when there is a sandbox mode for you to play with them in already.

Well, if you can't understand all I can say is that you got it wrong.

I seriously don't want to enter a discussion on what I meant.

This game is in the alpha stages still. The game has bugs. You can and will lose progress to these bugs. Quicksave is insurance against that. Don't use it if you don't want to, but there is no shame in using it for when the game decides to produce a bug and ruin your work.

Oh, not this again. If you don't like quicksaves, just don't use them yourself. But don't try to force your playing style on everyone else.

The same logic applies to you, if you don't like the idea of no-quicksaves then keep playing in sandbox mode, Career mode is suppose to give a challenge, if you can just ignore said challenge by quicksaving then whats the point of playing Career mode in the first place?

Edited by Alguien

The same logic applies to you, if you don't like the idea of quicksaves then keep playing in sandbox mode, Career mode is suppose to give a challenge, if you can just ignore said challenge by quicksaving then whats the point of playing Career mode in the first place?

This

10 characters!

I always quicksave BUT.... (and it's a big BUT)... I never use the save if it is my fault. If I mess up I mess up. If the game engine crashes though it is legit to restore. No harm, no foul. It's just a safety net for the Alpha version of KSP. Maybe once the game reaches release and is stable I will do away with quicksaving but until then I will save a LOT.

Remove mods? Now why would you want to do that?

Probably because there are certain overpowered mods which would completely remove any challenge. Getting to orbit with a mainsail that has an Isp of 150000 is a bit ridiculous and there should be measures to prevent people from doing that and yelling "LOOK WHAT I DID GUYS" which would then cause arguments.

I hope quicksaves are disabled for career mode as well. I'd miss them, sure, but I think immersion is more important. Sometimes rockets fail, and after enough failures your government would decide that space simply isn't worth it.

That should be up to each player to decide. Forcing this on you would be a bad idea I think.

I for example would like to have a quick save in case of game breaking bugs like having your spacestation/colony explode due to a bug or vanishing completely which is something that I have experienced myself.

You can just not use quicksaves as no one forces you to use them.

And surely immersion would be ruined more if your spacestation that you might have spent tens+ hours of building just vanishes due to a bug.

Edited by boxman

I don't use quicksaves. I try to build all of my craft with enough redundancy for a safe landing in event that something goes wrong. I've had quite a few kerbals stranded somewhere because of this, requiring complex rescue missions, but I've actually lost very few.

The same logic applies to you, if you don't like the idea of no-quicksaves then keep playing in sandbox mode, Career mode is suppose to give a challenge, if you can just ignore said challenge by quicksaving then whats the point of playing Career mode in the first place?

Career mode doesn't exist yet. We have no idea what it will be like. Or are you a secret developer?

My understanding of the current quicksave is that it was added because the game is alpha, so to help mitigate the effect of bugs. We don't know what the game will be like in this regard on full release.

NASA does not have quicksave but NASA have supercomputers and advanced simulations to test all things before anything has been done. Spacecrafts have clear control panels and much more information for pilot and much more advanced autopilot functions than even Mechjeb. Implementing such things in game is impossible, but quicksave acts as a poor man's simulator. If you talk about reality, absolutely no-one will ever build a spacecraft making maybe some basic delta-v calculations with pocket calculator and send it to land on planet. They uses thousands of engineers and simulate millions of scenarios. They simulate everything starting from structural strengths to large set of different orbits for different problem situations.

I hope that they keep quicksave. You can then choose which way you want to play. This is just a game, fun and entertainment, not an official competition under strict rules. KSP would be very boring game for beginners, if they need to wait 10 times when spacecraft flys from Kerbin to Tylo instead of saving situation in Tylo's orbit.

When I start my new game in 0.21 I'm gonna play without quick saving

Good to see that you are setting your own boundaries and (hopefully) sticking by them.

However, you may want to still quicksave, but only quickload when hit by a bug in the game. A nasty one I have seen many times is the trajectory prediction somehow missing a Tylo encounter... and i'm not talking about grazing the SOI, once I was on a direct collision course. You don't want to spend hours assembling a craft in orbit around Kerbin and taking it to Jool only to splat into Tylo through no fault of your own.

It's a simple question of maximising utility.

Let's say that you don't want to use quick saves in career mode, whilst I do want to use them (I actually rarely do, but for the sake of the argument.)

Now we can have two scenarios: Either the game does allow quick saves, or it does not.

In the first scenario, you can play the game the way you want by not using them, so your utility is maximised. And I can play the game the way I want by using them, so my utility is also maximised.

In the second scenario, you can still play the game the way you want, so your utility is still maximised. But now I can't play the game the way I want, so now my utility has been reduced significantly.

Given this choice, we should select the first scenario, because that allows the utility of the game to be maximised for both of us, whilst the second scenario does not.

EDIT: Essentially, scenario one gives us the equivalent of a Pareto efficient situation. The same goes for other issues like "no mods in career mode" etc.

Edited by Lanfranc

I started in .20, and I actually played the first two weeks or so unaware of the quicksave function. Boy was my heart pounding when I went in to land after a long mission... and boy did I end a lot of missions prematurely. Haha.

Now I justify my quicksaving by telling myself that NASA plans for their missions for months, while I plan mine in like 2 minutes. Sometimes I just gotta give myself some slack.

A case of, i play it this way, so everyone should play it like me..

Not a praiseworthy attitude..

Some like mods, if you dont, dont use them..

Some like Quicksaves, if you dont, dont use them

Some like Mechjecb, if you dont, dont use it..

How hard can it be too understand this..

I always quicksave BUT.... (and it's a big BUT)... I never use the save if it is my fault. If I mess up I mess up. If the game engine crashes though it is legit to restore. No harm, no foul. It's just a safety net for the Alpha version of KSP. Maybe once the game reaches release and is stable I will do away with quicksaving but until then I will save a LOT.

Yes this is exactly how I'm doing it. Game hiccup? Reload, not my fault. If it is my fault? Tough **** lol.

This argument comes up again and again when ever there's any game which attempts to simulate at least some aspect of reality; and it's always, always ruined by people who insist they're more hardcore realistic than thou. Except none of you will ever even be close to the reality; you're sat in a comfy chair with a refrigerator with refreshing drinks within walking distance. No matter what HOTAS etc set up you have, you won't experience even the slightest gravity change as you fly or plan your virtual adventures; not even if you rock your chair about with your feet or really haul hard on the stick. In real life, you're too fat, too short sighted, too unfit, too born-in-the-wrong-country to ever be part of the programs you simulate; you don't have to spend months training up to standard before they even let you into the simulator for the simulator, and in the case of Apollo flights, you don't risk coming down with a simple cold at the wrong time and missing the chance of a lifetime for the actual mission. You're not limited by the national budgets, national leadership decisions... and when things go horribly wrong or underfunded, no one comes and shoots you in real life because you failed to save your pilot in a computer game and you personally have to pay the price.

All of you, ALL OF YOU are nothing more, and nothing less than people engaged in a little escapist fantasy. So don't begrudge others when they chose to fantasize a slightly different way to you; In real life, you're living in perhaps the best times there will ever be, when people in some parts of the world have the disposable income and time to indulge in fantasy... whilst right now on your own planet, in your own time there are people who have to walk miles for drinking water which may or may not be full of parasites, but they'll drink it anyway just because they have no other choice. So be grateful you get the chance then to dream. And don't try and take anyone else's dreams away. Because the kind of people, the kind of civilization that can't learn to co-exist will never get off their own planet in real life. They certainly won't be picking argumentative elitists for missions to Mars in real life... They'd sooner have married couples than you.

Quicksave or not, it's up to you. As long as you all are chasing your dreams and having fun.

Ah, another "Play the game the way I play it!" thread.

When I started, I didn't know there was a quicksave, so every time I crashed my Mun lander I had to restart from the ground, which is fine for a relatively short hop to the Mun, but if I'm doing a long interplanetary mission with a ship built piece-by-piece in orbit you can bet I'm going to quicksave to avoid being eaten by the kraken, losing an engine because I accidently hit space twice or crashing because I hit the wrong button when trying to de-warp.

You may find that abhorrent but, frankly, I play KSP for fun. I already have a job where I need to check and double check every number thrice, I don't need that in a game.