[BUG DATA COLLECTION]: ASAS. Come in, fill out the form, let's give the devs data

Ok. We all know that something weird is going on with ASAS for some folks.

There's another thread on this, with folks affected and unaffected loudly arguing over the cause. While this is helpful in that it alerts Squad that something is up, it is completely useless as a means of helping them track this bug down. But we can help.

How? We've got numbers. Let's all throw a post on here. Copy and post this form, removing my answers and adding your own.

[Operating System]: Windows 8

[Memory]: 8GB

[ASAS Trouble (Y/N)]: No

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: None

[Mods installed, post-patch]: None

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: N/A

It is my belief that if we get enough people to post this information in this thread, a clear pattern may emerge and help the devs pin this one down. And if I'm forgetting something that may be relevant in the form, let me know.

And in closing, I ask you keep the chatter out. Forms only. There's about five other threads this can be discussed in amongst ourselves. Let's keep this productive.

Edited by Whackjob

<--CAN BE IGNORED-->

[Operating System]: Windows 7

[ASAS Trouble (Y/N)]: Yes

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Yes, [Remote Tech], [Kethane Mod]

[Mods installed, post-patch]: Yes, [Remote Tech], [Kethane Mod]

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: ASAS doesn't help much [dot on the nav-ball still seems to drift away, but slower] (possibly because of the Remote Tech "Smart A.S.S" or because of the larger ship size)

[Operating System]: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

[Memory]: 16GB

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: N/A (fresh install)

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: SAS controller settles on a heading different from the heading upon releasing manual control. Settling on new heading is quite slow. Does not maintain heading in space under thrust.

[Operating System]: OSX 10.8

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: None, clean install

[Mods installed, post-patch]: KAS, Ioncross Crew Support, Kethane

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: N/A

[Operating System]: Windows 7 (64 bit)

[Memory]: 6GB

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: ASAS is 'spongy' and tries to settle on velocity vector instead of selected heading; eventually ends up settling midway between old velocity vector, and desired heading, as velocity vector moves to catch up, and ASAS moves towards velocity vector, resulting in the 'snapback' people are describing.

[Memory]: 8GB RAM

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Yes

[Mods installed, post-patch]: No (I did a clean reinstall for 0.21)

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: SAS works fine on planes from very limited flight time experience, but on rockets and ships in space is extremely sluggish, doesn't hold course, and doesn't use the full gyroscopic power that the craft has.

[Operating System]: Windows 7 HP x64

[Memory]: 4GB

[ASAS Trouble (Y/N)]: Yes...ish

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Subassembly Loader

[Mods installed, post-patch]: Subassembly Loader

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: There are fairly severe problems with course control on the spaceplanes I tried. However, those spaceplanes were ones I constructed myself, prior to patching. Prior to 0.20, even, at least the basic aerodynamic shape. Once in space, the course is held rather well, shuttlepods handle perfectly with unbalanced RCS, and a more modern spaceplane design handles much better in atmosphere too. I am suspecting the core of the problems I have is in the designs themselves. The ASAS performance also seems to vary between launches of the same design, however.

[Operating System]: Windows 7 pro

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: None (fresh install on Steam)

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: heading drifts uncorrected like SAS isnt activated.

[Operating System]: Windows 7 pro 64bit

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Mechjeb, Engineer but did a clean install for .21, nothing saved

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: Problems are intermittent. Wandering off course straight up at launch, not holding a heading to a maneuver node marker in vacuum either under thrust or not.

Additional Hardware info:

i-5 2500k @ 4.3ghz

Nvidia GTX 670 2gb

STEAM install

[Operating System]: Windows 8

[ASAS Trouble (Y/N)]: yes

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Mechjeb

[Mods installed, post-patch]: None, deleted all files then reinstalled (steam)

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: Heading drifts like there is no sas on, however when stabilizer is added the drifting goes away. afther i found this out no more problems.

Edited by muckratz

[Operating System]: Windows 7 64bit ultimate

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: yes, engineering redux

[Mods installed, post-patch]: yes, engineering redux, however the parts are not used in final ships. Steam update, save files updated from 0.20

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: Works like it is described

[Description of problem (keep it short)]:

- The system won't hold the heading that was last targeted, it will drift away or 'try' to hold the course with a offset.

- The angels are not held and adjusted individually like in the feature description.

- It does not seem to use RCS as a control method.

- Overall it seems not to really work in space, at least not with the pre-built SSTO space-plane I tried it with.

- Testing with a rocket in space, it doesn't seem to stop rotation or hold a course.

- To achieve something, a lot of micro management with course corrections and crap are needed, I don't think this is intended.

[Operating System]: Mac OS X 10.8.4

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: SubAssembly Loader

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: The dang thing refuses to hold the heading desired, will drift off (I want it to stubbornly stick in place like it used to, along with the improvements such as no wobbling + allowing user input). In terms of stabilization, works beautifully.

Edited by DannySwish

[Memory]: 12GB

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: ASAS Drifts in space. Works better as a plane "Auto-Pilot". Not sure if related but the spacecraft on launch and in space will not rotate. Even with RCS. I cannot get it to spin, and once it starts spinning during launch there is no hope in stopping it.

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: Several-Mechjeb, protracter, KW Rocketry, KAS, ISA MapSat etc

[Mods installed, post-patch]: Mechjeb, few parts

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: On rockets ASAS does not hold a course but drifts off, even with gyro and pod torque on the ship. (much like an Avionics package).

On planes (with an old ASAS, now gyro) it cannot hold the plane steady like the old ASAS, but works like a VERY week Avionics package. Flying upwards at a 40~ angle, makes the nose drop, unless manually adjusting trim.

Edited by Conzolax

[Memory]: 16 GB

[Mods installed, pre-patch]: 5

[Mods installed, post-patch]: 0 ( 3 fresh installs after .21 in an effort to fix things.

[Description of problem (keep it short)]: SAS eighter give too mutch or too little torque resulting in unkontrolled spin. Some launches everything goes good and some other goes ape****. Totally random as far as i can see. Tried with stock ship several times (over 20) and with self built rockets. Tried to get rockets stable for 8 hrs now and i give up.

I know C7 has worked hard on this and I have full confidence in his skills, the following is intended as positive FYI type player feedback, not a grumble! But you need to know how it plays and I want to tell you :)

[Operating System]: Windows 7 x64

[Description of problem (keeping it to the point)]: Steam updated 2.1 instal with fresh new sandbox game started and fresh built 2.1 spaceplane craft. If I attempt to adjust roll or yaw using Q-E or A-D keys, an Inline Advanced Stabilizer on a spaceplane fails to maintain pitch attitude when engaged : eg at 45° pitch up the space plane loses pitch attitude control when adjusting roll or yaw manually and pitches down to horizon without using the small ailerons on the craft to pitch up to their maximum potential.

If I set trim to pitch up and disable SAS the plane will pitch up fine so pitching up is well within capability. After a series of adjustments when SAS is engaged expert (fine) control is on and trim is adjusted away from zero in any axis, pitch tends to drift and sink without any manual input with SAS on and SAS seems to lose any traction at all. The SAS becomes more able to hold a heading again if I AltX to zero pitch and exit expert mode but heading is not one chosen by me, it is not set to craft attitude when I cease manual input and seems to be set to craft vector, which I dont want. Also the drifting of SAS set pitch heading during yaw or roll adjustment remains.

As a player I would expect SAS to grab the heading from craft attitude (and not vector) when I cease manual input and correct to that with the full power of the attitude control systems on the craft if necessary. I also would expect it not to adjust other axese set heading if I am adding manual input on one or two axese.

TLDR

• Craft cannot maintain a heading using its full potential.
  • SAS heading drifts and is not set by player.

I also tested a rocket and when correcting roll I observed the SAS correction applied was not done the way I would correct and seemed to be proportional to angle of deviation rather than to rate of deviation which would make more sense IMHO. 2c

I right now have no access to my pc and ksp so i can not test my idea, but i saw a video that makes the engines seem to have little upforce pulling the nose of the rocketaway from the prograde marker in orbit.

My idea: has somebody tried to invert the engines in vab if use more than one.

For example: put one on normaly and rotate the other one by 180º. I think they schould cancel the forces of each other. One pulling up, one pushing down. Could somebody test that? 2 engines could make your rocket spin in this configuration. Maybe make it so, that one pulls left, the other one to the right.

The idea behind is this: http://imgur.com/1zOSbQg.png

Sorry this is drawn on my phone.

Circles = engines

Red = force of the engines

Blue = resulting force

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.