An ocean of lag...

I'd Just Like to add and let everyone know that Kerbal Space Program does not currently utilise GPU's at all

Well. It does, just only for graphics. If it wasn't using the GPU at all and doing software rendering, those lovely fragment shader effects would kill anything up to and including a supercomputer core.

For what it's worth, I've not seen the ocean lag issue on any graphics card newer/faster than an Ati 5750, though that card can jerk a bit if you turn the graphics settings up too high. My upgrade to an Nvidia GTX650 fixed that problem, kind of proving the old adage that if brute force doesn't fix it, you aren't using enough.

As for Jwenting's post, part count isn't the issue here. Take a computer with a lower end GPU (an otherwise-decent netbook or laptop with some cheap Intel chipset might do the trick) and send up a 5 or 7 part rocket. Everything will run smoothly until you look at the horizon and then boom, flickbook-o-vision.

I could have sworn the devs said water lag would be fixed in 0.23. If anything, it's worse now than before. Launches (and landings) are extremely tedious unless I'm looking straight up or straight down.

Changing the delta physics slider helps a little, but not nearly enough.

the ocean lag isn't a matter of part counts. iirc it affects AMD GPUs moreso than NVIDIA too

I call bullcrap. I run on an NVidia GeForce GT550M and the ocean lag is so bad that I've given up on trying to build practical SSTOs because I can't have a fuel depot below 160km for them without lowering the part count limit by 150. Cross the 160km ocean unload threshold, and I can add almost 200 more parts. Which is why 200km is the minimum orbit for my space station building.

For what it's worth, I've not seen the ocean lag issue on any graphics card newer/faster than an Ati 5750, though that card can jerk a bit if you turn the graphics settings up too high. My upgrade to an Nvidia GTX650 fixed that problem, kind of proving the old adage that if brute force doesn't fix it, you aren't using enough.

I have a GTX670M and while the problem does not occur during launches, I get it when I've spent a lot of time around Kerbin (Say, an hour flying). That was enough for me to do the fix. Rare ugly oceans is a good tradeoff to not being able to play.

the ocean lag is so bad that I've given up on trying to build practical SSTOs because I can't have a fuel depot below 160km for them without lowering the part count limit by 150. Cross the 160km ocean unload threshold, and I can add almost 200 more parts. Which is why 200km is the minimum orbit for my space station building.

Why not do the fix? Takes moments, barely affects the look of the game, and makes it so much more playable.

maybe if you didn't build 10.000 part stations and instead used sensible numbers of parts you'd, like the majority of users, not have any trouble.

I've no lag because of any oceans, flying my normal sized ships of a few hundred parts.

Hardly any of my stations or ships are ever over 70 parts (most are less than 60). So it's not part-count. This is a well-known issue, and there is even a "fix" for it explained by the devs, though it creates invisible water as a side-effect...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.