[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

Something I was reading other described the truncated spikes, where they diverted like 1-2% of the exhaust through the spike nozzle to 'prime' or guide the rest of it into the proper shape. This was on the larger linear aerospike engines (maybe the venturestar one?) but I think the toroidal spikes can be done this way too.

I never really got the model changed in a way I really liked, so I\'ll probably leave it fully truncated for now unless anyone has a better idea. I still wanna clean up the rust and heat scarring, though

I\'m sure the way exhaust is modeled in KSP you could just have a separate \'truncated flow\' nozzle, that has a few extra units of thrust...the truncated flow in real life describes a gas flow system to create a high-pressure area at the end of the spike to keep the exhaust gas in line. If you somehow found a way to model that for real it would probably make some peoples CPU\'s turn in to slag :P

Well right now its all just visual cues on the mesh itself, even having the moving nozzles along the rim would require a custom plugin, and I can\'t imagine that modeling the exhaust dynamics would add anything to KSP. I was more concerned with making a visually interesting engine (since this one has been around since like August) but if its best left as-is, so be it. :)

Okay, I have all of Slug\'s parts I intend to add, finished and working. In the end I only skipped the UFO and the signal flare (since it can be implemented with actual lights via plugin now, even if the persistence icons aren\'t enough)

U2lPT.png

mciEJ.png

Pretty much all I have left is to tweak the decouplers in the pack to separate properly again, and then see about finishing a little something I haven\'t shown yet. Since 14.1 is coming out with the bugfixes, I wanna get this released, so soon hopefully. :)

Well right now its all just visual cues on the mesh itself, even having the moving nozzles along the rim would require a custom plugin, and I can\'t imagine that modeling the exhaust dynamics would add anything to KSP. I was more concerned with making a visually interesting engine (since this one has been around since like August) but if its best left as-is, so be it. :)

I think the entire point of the aerospike engine is that you don\'t need moving nozzles at all. You can vector the thrust just by altering the fuel flow on a per-nozzle level.

I pulled it out because they really didn\'t work too well with the other SIDR files, and I was trying to trim down any extra \'junk\' since I was getting ready to merge 2 pretty large packs.

The intention was that I\'d perhaps polish them up as standalone auxiilary parts, or expand them into a full pack like the SaturnV pack, but Nova said he was gonna revisit them at some point, so they were shelved.

I believe Nova has decided he has too many other things going on, so that is on hold again. I am not sure if I\'ll have time to go all out on an N1 mod with this one and TiberDyne, but I can at least get the parts out and whip them into a standalone configuration so you don\'t need to dig through SIDR to get them.

It would need quite a lot of additions to make it a standalone Munrocket (like all of the actual \'mun\' parts)

Actually, it sounds like he\'s going to use it as-is.

There are several problems with the set notably balance (It\'s not balanced for current versions of KSP).

Another thing is scale, it\'s too small for such an impressive rocket. I think that the top should be 1.75m, since there\'s a fairing (which, I suspect, was supposed to house the lander) above the 4th stage.

2_N1_on_pad.jpg

The very top of the rocket should be 1m in diameter. Yes, I\'m aware that this would make the 1st stage engine 4m in diameter. I think it should go: 1.75m->2m->3m->4m. That would about match the Kerpollo.

Another problem is lack of good engines for it. I don\'t know which engines were supposed to be used with it, but now, engines from NP don\'t fit. I know that making engines would be a lot of work, so you could add some more nodes on the decouplers to make them usable with multiple engines.

Most of these changes don\'t require actual modeling, only a little rescaling and config editing.

Yeah I already made some suggestions in his community post; maybe he\'ll start a thread about it soon;

I was looking at: http://www.russianspaceweb.com/n1.html

Definitely agree on the scaling up, and the need for the correct engines; they\'re supposed to be 8x and 4x nozzle engines.

Though most of the work would be in making LOK/LK spacecraft replicas. I\'ve never tried to model actual replicas before, so I\'m not sure how much help I\'d be.

I don\'t think a replica is needed, since it\'s not going to use the N1\'s (planned) mission profile anyway, as we don\'t have docking.

Just make an approximation, and take liberties where you need.

I cannot keep the rockets i make with this straight. they always tip right or left and maunal contol cant help. It even happens on the rockets included in the pack. :( Help?

I cannot keep the rockets i make with this straight. they always tip right or left and maunal contol cant help. It even happens on the rockets included in the pack. :( Help?

So it\'s quite easy. Insert more SAS/ASAS to your spaceceaft, OR use more winglets, OR use RCS tanks and thrusters. And don\'t build very long ships. It\'s good remix pack, I landed Mun with these parts, without bigger problems. How we say, 'Repetition/trying is mother of wisdom.'

You\'re overlooking it, yep

The HH-90909 is the 1.75m->2m structure, and the HH-90908 is the 2m->1.75m structure. They\'re not hollow decouplers or shrouds, just flanges.

the 1st one is on the 3rd tab, and is the 6th listed NovaPunch part (at least here..) and the 2nd one is exactly one page later.

Kerbalnaut: Are you turning on the ASAS modules? I tend to launch with it on and then turn it off to make heading changes. I also add vernier pods to big rockets (they are the little side-mount thrusters) as they give you a lot of steering control.

You\'re overlooking it, yep

The HH-90909 is the 1.75m->2m structure, and the HH-90908 is the 2m->1.75m structure. They\'re not hollow decouplers or shrouds, just flanges.

the 1st one is on the 3rd tab, and is the 6th listed NovaPunch part (at least here..) and the 2nd one is exactly one page later.

Thank you for that... Can be a little hard to spot in that mess of a parts category...

Anyway, I can make do using a hollow 1.75 meter decoupler with the 1.75 to 2m decoupler below that, but I must say that a hollow 1.75m to 2m decoupler shroud would be a very welcome addition. The hollow 1.75er adds quite a bit of uneccessary length to the stack, and the art style clashes with the 1.75 and 2m tanks above and below it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.