[1.0.2] NovaPunch 2.09. - May 6th - 1.0 Compatibility Update

Tiberion

i haven't heard anything about 0.21 that makes it sound like it would break it. since they have the new (and presumably mostly final) mod system in place, hopefully mod developers won't ever be so impacted again.

One little question:

The Odin/Thor Mun rocket system... Are you keeping that? I REALLY liked using them in .19. I loved how it was a slightly more streamlined version of Apollo.

As long as the decoupler will actually work this time.

I can answer that.

NovaPunch 2.0 Alpha (Test release) is uploading to Mediafire right now. Its only received a bit of testing, so if you don't want to deal with bugs you might want to wait until the final release (which hopefully won't be too long, barring any major issues reported.

And uploaded: http://www./?c67gyyccx5gx4s2

Edited by Tiberion

I really enjoy Novapunch parts and am really excited to see them come back, but I have noticed massive memory use by the new novapunch pack. I did a fresh install with no mods and found the game crashing every time I tried to load any rocket. On my other install, I have B9, KW, AIES, KSPX, and about 20 other smaller mods installed and don't notice any memory issues. With just novapunch installed I notice massive spikes in RAM usage. I have no idea why, and hopefully this issue can be resolved because novapunch is by far favorite mod for KSP. Thanks again for all the effort you have put into this pack Tiberion; updating all those parts must have been a daunting task.

If you feel like testing something, try removing the "engines" folder inside of GameData/NovaPunch2 and see if the RAM usage is lessened. Then replace Engines and take out the Fueltanks folder.

Engines are the old hi-detail PNG textures frizzank made, while the tanks are new TGA compressed textures with medium detail.

I would be interested in seeing which has a bigger affect on your system (I suspect the old PNG textures from the engines)

Alright I did some testing as you suggested. With the engine parts removed but with the fuel tanks still in less memory was used then with the fuel tanks removed but engines still in. As you predicted. In both circumstances though the fairly complex mun landing rockets I built (essentially replicas of each other just either stock engines or fuel in the place of the missing novapunch part) still launched and got to orbit fine without crashing or lag. When I put both the engines and fuel tanks back in though not only was memory usage greater (as expected), but the same design utilizing both novapunch engines and fuel tanks would result in a crash to desktop and memory error. If anyone else could report on how the novapunch pack is working for them it would be great, because I don't want Tiberion to go on a wild goose chase for memory issues if it is just an problem for me; he's already put in enough time.

Edited by 15nelsoc

I experienced the same results as 15nelsoc did.

CTD with the engines and fuel tanks. Memory issue lessened with only the tanks.

Error log after CTD if it might help. Unfortunately I am unable to read it. I can build a 600 hp engine, but know nothing of code....

(lots of mods running, same ones as I was using in .19. I would try it with a vanilla version, but it's 01:00 and I am out of time....);

computer is AMD Phenom II N970 Quad core 2.20 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Win 7 64 bit, AMD Radeon HD 7400M

Edited by pslytely psycho
Edited out the error log as it isn't useful here. Putting it where it will be of use. Thanks Tiberion for letting me know.

Yeah we don't really need the error log, it would really only be useful to the people who develop Unity more than likely? Can you remove the text and toss it into a pastebin link?

The cause of the crashes is somewhat known - KSP (which runs on Unity) isn't properly managing its memory allocation and on systems with certain confgurations, it hits a memory limit and then crashes randomly when trying to go beyond the limit.

The only thing I can do is try to find a balance between textures that keep enough quality and textures that do not increase the memory load of KSP when installed, and it seems like the engines are the main culprit right now. Not too surpring; 15 tank parts is only 8MB worth of files, while 14 engines amount 55MB. We'll have to see about exporting them in a more reasonable format, though they are only placeholder until there's time to make new engine models and textures.

For people trying to trim things down, the Fairings folder is another set of parts that has some old PNG textures. So if you find yourself not using NovaPunch fairings then you can pull those out too (The example ships won't load without them of course.

Thanks for testing that out guys, and keep the feedback coming.

philly_idle: can you be more specific about what you were launching? Just having a single part on a ship shouldn't be causing the memory issues. Is it a specific part that's doing it?

philly_idle: can you be more specific about what you were launching? Just having a single part on a ship shouldn't be causing the memory issues. Is it a specific part that's doing it?

Yeah I think I know what caused it. I was using an install that included B9 Aerospace and KW Rocketry which was simply too much for my system to handle. The rocket that caused the crash was the big orange tank from KW with two SRBs attached by your decoupler (i.e. Space Shuttle without the Shuttle :wink: )

I tried a fresh vanilla KSP install with nothing but your pack and it works flawlessly :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.