[.21.1] Is Avionics Package completely useless now?

Moon Goddess

To answer your question: yes, it's 100% useless at the moment. I'm assuming they didn't want to just delete the models, they took time to make and it would be wasteful to throw them away. Now that the old SAS unit has ASAS built in as well (check the part description, it really surprised me) it makes the ASAS part completely useless, as it's identical to the SAS, just heavier.

They've just finished a huge overhaul of the SAS system, and it will probably take another update or two to clean out or repurpose all of the now redundant parts.

To answer your question: yes, it's 100% useless at the moment. I'm assuming they didn't want to just delete the models, they took time to make and it would be wasteful to throw them away. Now that the old SAS unit has ASAS built in as well (check the part description, it really surprised me) it makes the ASAS part completely useless, as it's identical to the SAS, just heavier.

They've just finished a huge overhaul of the SAS system, and it will probably take another update or two to clean out or repurpose all of the now redundant parts.

Squad is keeping the parts in the game so existing .craft files with these parts won't break.

It's the most compact solution to adding SAS to podless shuttlebikes using the command seat. It's also a fancy nosecone and the best "warhead" for unguided rockets. As for something special, since it's an avionics package, it could add a "follow horizon" function, so that whatever course the aircraft holds is adjusted for the planet's reference frame, preventing gradual pitch-up on long flights.

- The way it used to work - input dampening. I think that could still be useful, even with the new ASAS.

- Or some handy avionics feature, like set pitch angle relative to navball, so that you could easily set cruising altitude fro your craft that would keep say 10 degrees inclination. Or even something super advanced like "keep prograde vector on the horizon", witch would automatically adjust for speed and air thickness.

- make it a probe core, giving you the option to use it as a command pod.

They took the time to make the old VAB, SPH, Launch tower, etc. I disagree that getting rid of old assets is wasteful when it either has no purpose or has been superceded by a better model.

I hope they get rid of the ASAS at some point, as I've never liked the model. Perhaps if they switch to modular/scalable tanks. That would be awesome.

The Avionics Package seems to be completely useless now, all it does is add a SAS computer, but all Probe Bodys and Command Pods have SAS built in, so it's not doing anything completely decorative.

What should they change it to, in order to give it some use?

I'm thinking about turning mine into a probe-pod.

the avionics + reaction wheel is lighter than ASAS module for giving control to something light that just has a chair or something. Well if the probe body itself doesn't do it for ya. :)

My rover weighs about 2t, that extra .2t is a huge deal.

Probe body doesn't use flaps/gimbal/rcs, you need ASAS or avionics.

edit: I guess that vid doesn't prove the avionics worth because i had the RCS off, just probe body SAS and a reaction wheel is doing that.

just pretend it's on. lol

Edited by automcdonough

Perhaps we can make it into a device that can give out Apoapsis/Periapsis readings without the need to go into map view. I can see such a device being incredibly useful, where I don't have to keep flipping between map view and stage view during launch phases.

I never realized it HAD a use before now, honestly...

Maybe it could be converted into an all-in-one sensor? Thermometer, accelerometer, barometer, and gravioli detector all-in-one?
I'd love it if the avionics pack gave you some more readouts, like radar altitude without having to go IVA.

Both of these are great suggestions.

Basically this part should have an aircraft related function that the new SAS doesn't. I suggest the ability to pin it to a point on the NavBall, rather than whatever reference frame the standard SAS uses. This way we might, for example, pin it to the horizon so that the aircraft doesn't nose-up as it moves across the globe as it will with the current system. Of course, this should be separately toggelable (either action group, context menu, or as a separate key) , as needs might change when, say, your SSTO reaches orbit.

Make it a probe, make it expensive and durable (impact tolerance of 100-200 m/s) and give it some sensors. There you have a perfect impactor probe, hitting planetary surface at high speeds and analyzing the dust around it afterwards.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.