Connection Nodes Disappearing in VAB .21.1

I am running a stock .21.1 through steam on Windows 7

I have had this issue in the past but never got a response to it.

Bug is a bit complicated to describe but basically when using the 6 way hub in the VAB sometimes the connection nodes will disappear on it.

Video:

Reproduction of the bug is hit or miss but I have managed to recreate it on about 4 different ships and the common component is the 6 way hub.

1. Attach the same object (batteries with an item on top seem to be the best for recreation) to the 6 connection nodes.

2. Save the craft and launch it.

2a. Alternately you can close the game and reload the craft file and it should do the same thing.

3. Return to the VAB and start pulling the objects attached to the hub off. One should pull the connection node off with it. This part is the hit or miss part. It doesn't always happen.

I have two craft files that the bug is reproduced on but I am not sure how to attach them to the post for download.

Hmm, most odd. You're actually having two bugs here: I have encountered the second bug once or twice but I never found a way to reproduce it reliably, if you could that would be a big help. I'm talking about the fact that you're picking up parts that shouldn't be attached to eachother.

That is not so much a bug as it is a limitation from the parent-child structure KSP uses for parts. Actually, the top and bottom nodes should both work while the radial nodes should not.

Didnt quite get that - what are the other four sides for then?

I am getting this too. I can reliably get this if I attach the radial port parts, or add/remove a part from a node enough time. I have a couple of mods, so I suspect they help break things.

edit: I tried building a space plane in the SPH and sometimes the root part seems to disappear in the sense that when I detach a part the game doesn't recognize an active root part in use.

Edited by Stratoroc
additional information

I've also had the same issue, but this is the only thing I've been able to reliable reproduce every time in 21.1. I'm not sure if it's related

-Choose a command capsule

-attach something to it, then remove

-click on the command capsule, and it will not release anywhere, no matter what. Only way is to select to create a new project, or load, etc.

this bug is all over the game in various shapes and sizes

it happens to me with normal attachments, just tried putting a normal 3m tank under a pod, it clicked on/off and the attachment node dissapeared... deleting the part and trying again does the same thing

i am running a modded game, but from fiddling around with it most likely its not really a mod problem unless the behavior of the whole game was changed regarding part handling, its been happening to my stock parts too

I think I'm seeing something similar with the 2.5 to multiple 1.25m adapters when they're inverted. Imagine the new 4 way adapter with 4 engines in it, add 4 1.25m decouplers at the bottom of the engines, and then add an inverted 4 way adapter to those. While all of the nodes show green, in game only two are actually connected.

I have seen this vanishing connection nodes two or three times with unmodded 0.20.2 on Linux. Haven't encountered it yet in 0.21.1, but I also haven't built any really complex ships since the upgrade.

I've tried recreating the grabbing multiple unconnected parts without the loss of connection nodes but it seems impossible. The loss of connection nodes often indicates that the multi-part grab is present.

I did notice that when I tried to undo removing the parts the game acted as though every part on the rocket was disconnected and then reconnected and that the connection node would reappear if I only hit undo once and I had only grabbed one part. if multiple parts were pulled off hitting undo would not cause the connection nodes to reappear.

• 1 year later...
I am getting this too. I can reliably get this if I attach the radial port parts, or add/remove a part from a node enough time. I have a couple of mods, so I suspect they help break things.

edit: I tried building a space plane in the SPH and sometimes the root part seems to disappear in the sense that when I detach a part the game doesn't recognize an active root part in use.

Yes! I have recently started getting this issue as well. I go to either construction site to edit a previously-constructed craft, and the system thinks it has no root, so removing any item from the construction is fatal (including the original root object, which now acts like a child [mini-lol 'acts like a child' ]) because one cannot reattach it anywhere. Also, the craft is suddenly called 'Vessel Name', and the Exit, Save and Load buttons suddenly cease to function, meaning a hard reset of the program is the only solution. It strikes randomly and is a horrible bug because the craft in question can never be edited or used again.

I am running a (32-bit 0.24.2) modded game with an exhaustive list of mods, but I hear people running vanilla are having a similar issue.

Edited by Stephanie the Viking

• 7 months later...

I have had this bug here and there since I started playing in 2013. I have also had it recently.

Removing a part results in the attachment node of the receiving part, to disappear.

Generally if I undo the part attachment, attach a new version just to be safe, then test it by removing it from the part again. Sometimes you can duplicate it and the node still disappears, but sometimes it doesn't.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.