Virgin Galactic style space plane [Stock]

As I'm sure many of you know Virgin Galactic will be launching the firstconsumer available trips to space. They will be using the ships 'White Knight Two' and 'SpaceShipTwo' to give customers a sub orbital weightless experience for 20 minutes. With the system 'White Knight Two', a purely atmospheric plane, carries 'SpaceShipTwo' up to a high altitude. Then once they are high enough 'SpaceShipTwo' disconnects from 'White Knight Two' and uses its rocket engine to reach the edge of space for a short sub orbital flight.

So even though building a launch system like this would be challenge enough this is KSP, which means we have to do everything bigger! So

The Challenge

Build a orbit capable space plane that is 2 separate stages. One with only atmospheric engines and one with only rocket engines. The atmospheric engine portion must decouple not just turn off. Both stages must be able to land on the runway by themselves. (This will require two flights, one to show the space plane, and one to show the atmospheric plane.)

Extra Rules

- The space plane portion can have everything except the two atmospheric engines (this includes all srb's and separatrons)

- The atmospheric plane portion can use only atmospheric engines

- Landing is required but not necessarily on the runway

- Orbits don't have to be even but both ap and ep must be greater than 70km

- The planes must originally be launched horizontally and with no launch clamps (like a plane)

- No parachutes at all

- As the title says, stock parts only (this also means no mechjeb)

Scoring

+10 points for each 10km above 70km (circularized)

+20 points for docking with a space station

+5 points for unpowered landing

+30 points for landing on runway (15 per half)

-2 points per extra radial air intake

-5 points per extra other air intake

-10 for needing part clipping

My example

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This craft would get a score of 29

Anyway, can't wait to see any entries. Also This is my first challenge thread so please leave feedback. :D

Edited by Coccalime

• 2 weeks later...

Darn, I made a nice model of SpaceShipOne and the White Knight in 0.19. Both flew quite well; but the thread disappeared in the Great Forum Crash and I don't have the pictures anymore.

Also:

Space ship one uses a solid rocket engine and was designed for suborbital trips to space for tourists but are you suggesting that we should try and make an orbit capable one not just a replica.

This seems like a fun challenge though I might try it

SpaceShipOne actually used a hybrid rocket engine (solid fuel, liquid oxidizer.) Unfortunately, we don't have these in KSP.

Sounds like a fun challenge!

Can you clarify a couple things, please?

- You mention "the two" atmo engines in the rocket section, but don't specify a number in the plane section. Are we limited to 2, or can we use more? Hard limit, or point penalty?

- We get -2 points for each "extra" air intake - how many do we get for free?

- You say orbit doesn't have to be circularized, but also that we only get points for altitude if it is? May I suggest awarding altitude points for either apo or peri alone - preferably apo, since that would give tourists the most time in space.

Also, a suggestion: can you make a points category for number of Kerbals carried? Seems to me that carrying more tourists should be a plus...

"The rocket may not use the two atmo engines."

I'll spell it out for you, the turbojets and normal jets aren't allowed on the passenger module because it's supposed to be replicating the Virgin Galactic craft. (AND ITS SPACE, WHY WOULD YOU USE THEM IN SPACE) There's no hard limit to airplane engines on the actual airplane, read the OP first please.

-snip-

OP reads as if there are 2 engines in the plane stage, not that the two types of atmo engine are restricted (though that is also implied).

I would assume that you get one intake per engine, and as OP says, the Kerbals have to do it bigger and better, meaning that you need to get to orbit, not just suborbital hops. Beat the competition, don't just match them.

Edit: I would like clarification on the engine/intake rules, can I put 10 engines and 10 intakes then turn off 8 of the engines and still not lose points?

Edited by Bean

"The rocket may not use the two atmo engines."

I'll spell it out for you, the turbojets and normal jets aren't allowed on the passenger module because it's supposed to be replicating the Virgin Galactic craft. (AND ITS SPACE, WHY WOULD YOU USE THEM IN SPACE) There's no hard limit to airplane engines on the actual airplane, read the OP first please.

Actually, the OP's post is very ambiguous. You can read it multiple ways, especially since his craft has two atmo engines. I'm just asking for clarification.

No need to be a dick about it.

Here's my (first) entry, I'll do the points, show the gallery and then leave feedback below it.

Orbit: 460km = 390 points

Unpowered landings = 5 points (or 10?)

1 runway landing = 15 points (although I did hit the runway bit hard and lost 2 engines)

No extra intakes

No clipping

So my score would be 395 (if I don't get points for my banged up landing and only 5 points for one landing) or up to 415 if I get the banged up landing + 5pts per unpowered landing.

Feedback: I think the points system is slightly flawed, mainly because altitude is cumulative. Also I'd say you gain more than 5km altitude for your orbital craft per extra intake. With a bit of tweaking I should be able to make a craft capable of leaving the Kerbin system, or orbiting inside it at great distance. My first entry as you can see didn't use extra intakes, if I put in a few extra I could save fuel off my orbital craft and get quite far. I have several crazy ideas, but not sure I'll bother unless this challenge picks up speed.

Even so, quite a fun challenge.

Also Coccalime it would be nice with a leaderboard in your opening post.

Good challenge, I've made a few of these style of plane, this is my mock up of White Knight and SpaceShipOne.

IiYekIQ.jpg?1

The "Not quite a Virgin!" Spaceplane

originally named after my X and called the "Dirty Slapper" but renamed due to an impending law suit!

As for points? Meh, not a clue, its clipped and has multiple air intakes, all of which could be mitigated by orbiting a few Km higher (which i easily had fuel for). So i dunno in the interest of fairness lets say i got Zero points :D

If you're interested in the craft file its simply a click >>>HERE<<< away :D

Adapted a Space Plane I originally made for lols hence its strange tri-plane appearance!

However I decided to adapt it due to its lack of any clipping and its high lift.

I present the Fokker Branson.

120Km orbit = 50 points

land on runway = 15 (Space plane overshot runway and ditched :( )

um I ditched unpowered so... 5?

Total 65 or 70

I may tinker for a higher score later on, maybe crack the space plan unpowered landing.

Edited by RickRastardly

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/723chvrgwd4621p/eMFlZwtPa3

Dropbox Link for full album

I made this yesterday. I have not yet tested the mother-plane to see if she can land under power. I was so focused on the concept and getting the ship into space. Mine can go fully orbital. I have a version that does not use air-hogging of intakes, but the version that does use clipping is so much easier to fly. It is my favorite plane to date.

I did not make this with the challenge in mind. Heck, I didn't even know this challenge existed. Someone pointed me here from my show-off thread, and I thought I'd take a look around. :)

((edit))

Let me see if I can add up my points:

+430 for 500x500 orbit

+20 for docking with a refuelling vessel.

+5 for glide landing.

+30 for landing perfectly on runway.

-10 part clipping

-6 since I have 4 intakes per engine, or should it be (6x4) -24 points.

TOTAL = 451

I went back and played with my mother-plane, and I've not got her to where she can land as well. I hadn't really paid attention to that side of the operation, but now we are FULLY OPERATIONAL!

istwxBu.jpg

3cfgW3s.jpg

Essentially, we just needed a few struts. The original design had both halves of the mother-plane connected only by an octo-strut. Some additional regular struts welded the two halves together.

Edited by mellojoe

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.