Track IR support

• 2 months later...

It's a way of panning a camera using your head. In KSP it would be nice in IVA view, particularly when (if) we get more functional IVA spaces. (By functional I mean "can actually be used"... several of the cockpits have an obscured window if you attach any parts to them, even then ones that are obviously designed to have parts attached to the front)

I'm not exactly sure what you are suggesting here. What is it supposed to do?

Track IR is a somewhat absurd way of controlling the camera. I know that a lot of people use them for flight sims because it's important to be able to easily look around, but the appeal seems a little more limited here. It could be useful though.

Here's a description of the system: http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-how-TrackIR-works.html

That video is what i use to show people what trackir is and what it can mean to a game. He uses arma2 to demo it, but the same camera control capabilities apply pretty much anywhere you can move one way while looking another.

It is a HUGE increase in immersion for FPS and sims that support it because you stop using the keyboard or mouse to look around, YOU look around. Generally situational awareness will shoot through the roof in such games, and situational awareness in such games is often the difference between surviving and dying.

That video is what i use to show people what trackir is and what it can mean to a game. He uses arma2 to demo it, but the same camera control capabilities apply pretty much anywhere you can move one way while looking another.

It is a HUGE increase in immersion for FPS and sims that support it because you stop using the keyboard or mouse to look around, YOU look around. Generally situational awareness will shoot through the roof in such games, and situational awareness in such games is often the difference between surviving and dying.

That's sounds horrible.

How the hell would it be better to try and look at your screen from the corner of your eye, than to move a mouse? I get immersed just fine. In the real world I don't turn around by turning my head either

Might be nice for VR glasses, but looking at my screen only works comfortably when I point my head AT the screen. Anyway, to each his own weirdnesses I guess.

With regards to KSP: It looks like something that would take abit of specialization to implent. So if it were to come, it's probably something for near the final version, when they finetune the controls and everything

That's sounds horrible.

How the hell would it be better to try and look at your screen from the corner of your eye, than to move a mouse? I get immersed just fine. In the real world I don't turn around by turning my head either

Might be nice for VR glasses, but looking at my screen only works comfortably when I point my head AT the screen. Anyway, to each his own weirdnesses I guess.

Probably better if you understand it before you trash it, hey?

You set sensitivity curves, it's not a one to one mapping. For example, when I'm playing DCS A10 my sensitivity is set such that when my nose is pointing at one edge of the mointor, my in-game view is looking back over my shoulder. When I look at the top edge, my in game view is looking straight up.

You may not understand why it's vastly, vastly, vastly superior. But you've obviously never tried it.

Is it useful in KSP? Not for external view or map view. But as I said it would be useful for internal views if they were further developed to the point where you could actually use them. Since you can't really use them now I don't think track IR support is going to be very high on the list of priorities.

In the real world I don't turn around by turning my head either

but looking at my screen only works comfortably when I point my head AT the screen

you definitely aren't fully getting the concept, and it shows in how you chose to word your position against it. Did you watch the video by chance, he demos exactly what it is, and isn't, and how it works.

in particular at 1:55 when he shows the software used to control sensitivity.

http://youtu.be/OtK29Xu7e4g?t=1m55s

in the real world you turn your head to change where your looking. you can move your eyes as well, but if you look to your right you turn your head as well right? In enabled games, for example arma2, turning your head doesn't turn 'you', it turns your head, which means your view. You can stay facing forward, yet look left or right.

You also never stop looking AT the screen, nor does one need to turn their head so far as to have to use the corners of your eyes. The sensitivity settings let you define how much you turn your head to achieve a certain amount in game. So you could setup having a 20° turn of your head, which is about the same as looking at the edge of a 27inch display, result in a 120° rotation of the camera, so that looking at the edge of your display gets you looking over your shoulder.

Flight sims: can't see over the dash? sit up. Seriously, just sit up, raising your head raises the camera position as well, giving you a better view over the dash. Need to zoom in on a specific dial, lean in and down towards it. Again, the sensitivities determine how far you need to move to get the effect you want.

Its biggest advantage would be in first person EVA, or IVA I think. That and definitely not worthy of a priority just yet....if ever. But it would be cool.

you definitely aren't fully getting the concept, and it shows in how you chose to word your position against it. Did you watch the video by chance, he demos exactly what it is, and isn't, and how it works.

in particular at 1:55 when he shows the software used to control sensitivity.

http://youtu.be/OtK29Xu7e4g?t=1m55s

in the real world you turn your head to change where your looking. you can move your eyes as well, but if you look to your right you turn your head as well right? In enabled games, for example arma2, turning your head doesn't turn 'you', it turns your head, which means your view. You can stay facing forward, yet look left or right.

You also never stop looking AT the screen, nor does one need to turn their head so far as to have to use the corners of your eyes. The sensitivity settings let you define how much you turn your head to achieve a certain amount in game. So you could setup having a 20° turn of your head, which is about the same as looking at the edge of a 27inch display, result in a 120° rotation of the camera, so that looking at the edge of your display gets you looking over your shoulder.

Flight sims: can't see over the dash? sit up. Seriously, just sit up, raising your head raises the camera position as well, giving you a better view over the dash. Need to zoom in on a specific dial, lean in and down towards it. Again, the sensitivities determine how far you need to move to get the effect you want.

Its biggest advantage would be in first person EVA, or IVA I think. That and definitely not worthy of a priority just yet....if ever. But it would be cool.

Yes, I watched it. He turns his head to turn the view, and thus has to move his eyes and look out of the corners. Or half corner. And yes I watch the vid, he DOES move his eyes

I don't care how small the angle is, that is less comfortable than looking right ahead.

And yes I tryd it. I got sick of it pritty damn fast when I turned my head slightly and had to move my eyes to still look at the center of the screen

In the real world you may turn your head to watch, but the thing you watch at is still directly infront of your head. NOT to the side of it. That's the whole point of turning your head. Make it so you don't have to turn your eyes to much.

And like I said, I break from immersion if I move.

Stop defending it like it's the Messiah of gaming. It's not.

Would be pritty neat if you had a 360 degree screen though

(exact same reaction to allmhuran)

• 3 weeks later...

Recently started playing this great game. I frequently find myself wishing TrackIR was available.

Besides the immersion effect (which may work for some and not for others), it is also just another useful input device. I play with my hands and feet on full flight-sim controls. TrackIR is a GREAT way to also be able to change camera angle/pan/view/whatever without having to stop flying to grab the mouse and look around.

• 2 months later...

I'd love to see this in ksp, though scene as how clueless the majority of the community appears to be about head tracking I doubt it will. Its incredibly useful in many situations when IVA.

I have my own DIY headtracking device and use freetrack, you'd be able to roughly implement it locking the head movement to mouse (iv'e done it before on battlefield 3) though there wouldn't be any translational head movement in the cockpits without scripting.

Here's another vote for TrackIR integration. And another one for banning ignorant posters! ;) Don't worry, you aren't the first and won't be the last forums users that don't get it. This happens for every game, even the obvious use cases, and it keeps on going despite your lack of understanding.

From a dev point of view, this should be an easy sell. It not only adds immersion BUT it gets you on the TrackIR supported list. This is a good way to drive heavy sim users (generally people that can afford to buy $30 games...) to the game even if they've never heard of it before, and this is a game for simmers if there ever was one!

• 2 weeks later...

I second this. I miss using my trackir EVERY time I do EVA or landings in tight spaces or docking tight things, flying planes or driving rovers. Probably a million other uses. This would make me happer than anything else I am currently waiting for in the game. I have all my simulations set up with the same controls, except KSP. It is missing TrackIR only. I fly a lot of stuff and it kind of hurts not having the same view control. PLEASE add support for this underrated device.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.