Now, where are you guys from?

Xeldrak

I'm English by birth but now live in rural Spain.

Without water at the moment because the pump which takes our rainwater from the collection tank into the house has broken. I'll try and fix it tomorrow, but please don't feel too sorry for me - I've got beer in the fridge :D

I was born in a hospital in Tokyo's Shinjuku ward, and lived for a time in a small (air quotes) fishing town called Choshi in Chiba prefecture. It's a big place for sardines and soy sauce, apparently. This was all before I was 2.5 years old, so I don't remember any of it myself, but most of the remaining family I've known live across the ocean from me  the other half live in north Florida.

Currently, I live in the SF Bay Area. Specifically the South bay: used to be peach orchards, but nearly all you'll see now is the product of gross suburban sprawl and in turn (so I've heard) veteran migration in the wake of WWII.

• 2 months later...

Necro post!

I'm from the village of Killyman (Irish for "Church of the women"...don't ask), in Northern Ireland. We have a church, two primary schools, and a post office.

Northern Ireland, I'm sure you know, has a bit of an unfortunate history. Having suffered thrity years of terrorism, not to mention the odd dubious act from the police, I'm glad that I was born when the peace process (the drive to turn Northern Ireland into a functional realm) was well underway. By the way, if you're ever going to break your arm, you should do it in Belfast. People getting their bones broken was such a comman case during the Troubles, that Belfast boasts some of the finest surgeons on Earth.

One of the last things I did this summer was spend a day touring Derry-Londonderry with my dad. "Stroke city" (so called because of it's proper names pronouncing as "Derry stroke Londonderry") was a particularly brutal area, but when me and Dad walked about, it was a wonderfull place, a city of culture, even if some of that culture was a little rough around the edges. At no point was I scared of being stabbed, or blown up. I even noticed a lot of international tourists, traveling halfway round the world to visit tiny Ireland. On the train, I noticed some Japanese students. Thirty years ago, nobody would touch Northern Ireland with a ten foot pole, let alone send their kids here, to university. Sometimes, you forget to appreciate how beautiful a place you live in, until someone comes along and reminds you. :)

My real name is Aaron. I looked it up on wikipedia, and apparently, it's descended from Hebrew (it does make sense, Aaron was the brother of Moses). That wasn't the reason I was called Aaron, though. My Mum wanted to call me Arnold, after my grandfather. He protested, saying that Arnold was no name for a baby. I am willing to bet money that my Mum pulled out a baby name book, and chose the first entry.

I'm from a decent sized town in central Michigan, we've got a university, a couple 'o schools, and some fast food restaurants, and that's about it. Funnily enough, i have a sneaking suspicion i live in the same town as Nova.....

Anyway, did you know that Michigan is home to the world youngest murderer, the worlds largest school killing, and, Tim Allen!

Irish here, born in Dublin, moved to the north for half of my childhood, came running back to Dublin as soon as I could. Thankfully the situation in the north has improved rather dramatically in the last decade or so.

Originally from here:

uk.png

Spent my first years here. You know the one with the Queen and tea and complaining and bad weather?

A bit from here as well.

grmap.jpg

Never lived there though.

Now I live here.

map-cyprus.gif

Very sunny. Cool beaches. Sunny. Makes the best Halloumi on the planet. Likes Kebabs. A lot. Still can't figure out computers.

Originally from potato land situated between a pig farm, a chicken farm and a cow farm, then my parents moved to Milton Keynes. Famous place noted for having concrete cows and no soul.

Sometimes people paint the cows. This was for halloween.

_63482515_photo2.jpg

Rijeka, Croatia.

It's on the northern coast of the Adriatic sea. Built around the ancient roman town Tarsatica and has quite a history behind it. The city changed states around 5 times in the 20th century alone and was once split in half by the state borders. Austro-Hungaria, the kingdom of yugoslavia, Italy, communist Yugoslavia, Republic of Croatia, and at some point it was also a pirate city-state with it's own army and laws (in other words, a drug-infested smuggler haven).

Most of today's Rijeka was built by the Austro-Hungarians including the railways, the port and pretty much everything downtown, so the centre mostly consists of neo-baroque edifices and dead industrial facilities. No really, some parts of the waterfront look as postapocalyptic as scenes from HL2, including the old Torpedo factory, where - funfact - the torpedoes as we know them today were first invented and built.

Today with the industry dead, the city is slowly collapsing. There's a steady outflow of population, few jobs (if the shipyard goes bankrupt soon, that won't really help as well), but for some reason, that wouldn't be your first impression with all the cafes always full and people driving pretty nice cars. I'm quite upset with that kind of mentality and the overall local political lazyness, so I call it a village with skyscrapers, but the place itself ain't too bad. It gets obnoxiously hot and humid in the summer ,but there's literally clean beaches a local bus ride away and the nearest ski park is a bit more than 30min away (if driving). I'd say that's pretty unique...

Hey all,

I'm from Christchurch City, New Zealand.. - Current population is around 341,469 (it dropped a lot after all the earthquakes we had) - Anyway, a picture of the city before the Quakes hit.

onba.jpg

And here's one just as the first big one hit..

rpa0.jpg

But hey, we stil here, and are rebuilding the city piece by piece :)

Hey all,

I'm from Christchurch City, New Zealand.. - Current population is around 341,469 (it dropped a lot after all the earthquakes we had) - Anyway, a picture of the city before the Quakes hit.

But hey, we stil here, and are rebuilding the city piece by piece :)

Dang that looks nasty...- The earthquake destruction i mean, the city and mountains behind it are beautiful. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.