[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Hi everybody. First time post, got an odd thing happening and I wonder if it's a bug in the plugin / the game, or just a bug in my brain.

I have KSP 023, KSPI and a bunch of the planet packs from kerbal universe active.

Running the AIM reactor - reactor shows ~0% active when turned on, even when under load. It will power up initially to ~100% and then drop off to zero. I assume that it is supposed to throttle to zero when there is no power required however, it does not throttle up again in line with power requirements.

I noticed this when the ship has a microwave transceiver:

- With the microwave transceiver turned ON (in either send or receive mode) - If I time warp for a while, it will activate at 99%, then go back to 0 very quickly.

- With the microwave transceiver turned OFF and with no other load, after time warp it will function correctly when put under load. If I then turn on a microwave transceiver (in either send or receive mode) it will again fail and go back to 0%.

- Without using time warp, the reactor will remain at 0% regardless of the power configuration, occasionally perking up a little, i.e. to 0.0001%.

- If the ship does not have a microwave transceiver then the reactor doesn't seem to work at all.

I've tried a clean install of KSP and KSPI with a blank sandbox save, but that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any ideas / has anyone experienced the same problem?

AIM? Do you mean the anti-matter induced fusion? Do you have fuels needed, specially the Helium-3 as its a Deuterium/Helium-3 fusion reactor in its basics, altho uses small amount of anti-matter and uraniumnitride.

thanks,i noticed that in the last updates that the notes sed fixed anti matter tank electric charge handling this could have something about it:huh:

No, I haven't found a solution to my liking yet.

edit: apparently I'm losing my mind. I've disabled charging to be the default state. I haven't added the tweakables in the VAB yet.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

Has anyone come across this problem?

When I start a rocket with and Argon tank(the large trunk with the model of an inline Xenon tank) and launch it or even leave it on the launch pad an switch to something else and come back the tank becomes tiny like a Xenon tank. All parts attached wobble but still function and stay together.

Has anyone come across this problem?

When I start a rocket with and Argon tank(the large trunk with the model of an inline Xenon tank) and launch it or even leave it on the launch pad an switch to something else and come back the tank becomes tiny like a Xenon tank. All parts attached wobble but still function and stay together.

Was that tank the root part of the vessle? I've had a few times where I started with an argon tank and built the vessle around it where that happend, resulting in some very wobbly joints. I've never had it happen if the tank wasnt the root of the vessle. The root part is the first one you click on to place in the buildspace and attach everything else to btw.

Has anyone got a Module Manager cfg to make the Near Future radiators work for Interstellar? Don't get me wrong, I love zzz's work, but I want radiators that look a little less futuristic for one of my stations.

I'm going to cross post this in both threads...

Has anyone got a Module Manager cfg to make the Near Future radiators work for Interstellar? Don't get me wrong, I love zzz's work, but I want radiators that look a little less futuristic for one of my stations.

I'm going to cross post this in both threads...

@PART[whatevertheNFradiatorsarecalled]:Final
MODULE
{
name = FNRadiator
animName = a1
radiatorTemp = 1350
radiatorArea = 400
originalName = Mo Li Heat Pipe
upgradeCost = 10
upgradedName = Graphene Radiator
upgradedRadiatorTemp = 3500
upgradeTechReq = experimentalElectrics
}

RESOURCE
{
name = WasteHeat
amount = 0
maxAmount = 2500000
}

I've no idea what the Near Future radiators look like, so you might have to change the area, temperature, name and max waste heat amount to something suitable, this was just copied from the medium deployable radiators.

Edited by ObsessedWithKSP

I've no idea what the Near Future radiators look like, so you might have to change the area, temperature, name and max waste heat amount to something suitable, this was just copied from the medium deployable radiators.

Doesn't seem to work. I swapped in the animation details from the parts as they were, and they'd deploy, but then bork the reactor's electricity/MJ output.

Adding isDeployable = false makes everything work, but stops the radiators from being able to be folded out.

Doesn't seem to work. I swapped in the animation details from the parts as they were, and they'd deploy, but then bork the reactor's electricity/MJ output.

Adding isDeployable = false makes everything work, but stops the radiators from being able to be folded out.

You'll need to change the "animName = a1" field to match the name of the animation name of the part you're trying to convert, otherwise the code will be trying to use an animation that doesn't exist and that will cause you problems.

that was my first thought but it did't seem to give the option to turn the tanks off that why i think it something buggy:huh:

You can't turn the tanks off when they have antimatter in them, having a button that would let you do that would be more or less equivalent to a self-destruct button. Given that KSP only shows you units in increments on 0.01, it could appear to the user that their tank was empty while it actually still contained enough antimatter to blow their ship apart.

Anything different would result in this thread being full of the same question, "why did my ship just explode?"

Edited by Fractal_UK

Fractal_UK, what units is wasteheat measured in? Ergs or something? Joules?

Nominally they're in Megajoules but the storage capacities aren't really meaningful, it's only the rate of change that is of real significance.

Bit confused. I set up a 2 part mothership which will head to Jool as an antimatter microwave station.

QYSSDh2.png

The problem is:

I have a 3.75m antimatter reactor and electric generator in the lower part of the ship. The microwave transmitter is set up in the upper part. A senior docking port serves as connector and the upper section also features an alcubierre drive.

However, even if the large reactor/generator is running, no power gets beamed out.

ttBWK4h.png

What am I doing wrong? Also, why is my "current power" showing as only 800KW despite having a functioning 3.75m antimatter reactor?

New to the interstellar mod...sorry if those are stupid questions :wink:

Bit confused. I set up a 2 part mothership which will head to Jool as an antimatter microwave station.

http://i.imgur.com/QYSSDh2.png

The problem is:

I have a 3.75m antimatter reactor and electric generator in the lower part of the ship. The microwave transmitter is set up in the upper part. A senior docking port serves as connector and the upper section also features an alcubierre drive.

However, even if the large reactor/generator is running, no power gets beamed out.

http://i.imgur.com/ttBWK4h.png

What am I doing wrong? Also, why is my "current power" showing as only 800KW despite having a functioning 3.75m antimatter reactor?

New to the interstellar mod...sorry if those are stupid questions :wink:

Do you have any antimatter already collected? That is the fuel used by the antimatter reactor. There's not a whole lot of antimatter floating around kerbin, so those collectors aren't going to collect much useable power. You can probably set your array to receive mode and charge up your drive enough to get you into the jool system, where you'll be able to collect a lot more.

Do you have antimatter?

Shipped a ton over from Jool, both large tanks are pretty full. Definitely enough to power the reactor.

The reactor seems to be running just fine.

It's a bit weird because I'm using a very similar but much smaller setup for my SSTO with an alcubierre tugger.

I also have a small UF4 reactor on there to power the tanks. It runs at full capacity and nets the microwave beamer around 2.42MW. So it seems the beamer isn't getting any of the power from the antimatter reactor.

EDIT: Problem solved. Switched to the space centre and back again...that did the trick. Looking at a beautiful 242GW of power. Time to move this thing to Jool.

Edited by John Crichton

I have 2 quick questions concerning the planet factory mod.

First of all, I shouldn't need to do anything for the planets to have antimatter correct?

Secondly, if I wanted to add Argon to planet XXXXX for example, would adding this to the atmosphericresourcedefinitions.cfg work? (and for planetary resources I'll just copy and rename a random .png from the WarpPlugin/PlanetResourceData folder.

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION[XXXXXArgon]
{
resourceName = Argon
}

You'd need to define the abundance and body. I'm not sure how it would handle total abundances for a body over 100%. Hopefully it don't check or depend on that in anyway. Would be a simple test though.

The mm would need to include all these parameters I believe.

ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = EveCarbonDioxide

guiName = Carbon Dioxide

celestialBodyName = Eve

abundance = 0.6217

}

You only use the filter, [XXXXXArgon]to modify an existing node. If it doesn't exist, you need to define it. The atmo resource def. in the warpplugin folder are adding resourcename parameters to resource definitions that already exist in the openresourcesystem plugin.

So if the example above doesn't exist, it would look like:

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = EveCarbonDioxide

guiName = Carbon Dioxide

celestialBodyName = Eve

abundance = 0.6217

}

Atleast, I believe that it how it should work.

That is assuming you are making an MM file to modify the resource definitions. If you want, you can just edit them into the file directly (without the @) in the openresourcesystem folder. The MM solution is probably better since you don't need to worry as much about updated mods overwriting your changes. I keep a separate folder in my gamedata for my mm configs.

Land resources need a planetary definition and .png map referenced in that definition.

Edited by WaveFunctionP

You'd need to define the abundance and body. I'm not sure how it would handle total abundances for a body over 100%. Hopefully it don't check or depend on that in anyway. Would be a simple test though.

The mm would need to include all these parameters I believe.

ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = EveCarbonDioxide

guiName = Carbon Dioxide

celestialBodyName = Eve

abundance = 0.6217

}

You only use the filter, [XXXXXArgon]to modify an existing node. If it doesn't exist, you need to define it.

So if the example above doesn't exist, it would look like:

@ATMOSPHERIC_RESOURCE_DEFINITION

{

name = EveCarbonDioxide

guiName = Carbon Dioxide

celestialBodyName = Eve

abundance = 0.6217

}

Atleast, I believe that it how it should work.

Awesome thanks! I knew what I wrote didn't look right. What about the antimatter? It's procedurally generated based on the planet's mass right?

Either i don't understand the heat system or its broken for me:

According to the cooling information panel in the VAB, my cooling fins can dispel 1.3GW of waste heat from my 2x500MW reactors, but when I actually it and extend the cooling fins, My waste heat still goes up. Why?

Either i don't understand the heat system or its broken for me:

According to the cooling information panel in the VAB, my cooling fins can dispel 1.3GW of waste heat from my 2x500MW reactors, but when I actually it and extend the cooling fins, My waste heat still goes up. Why?

The max radiation is at the maximum temperature the radiators can handle. If you aren't at that max, you won't radiate that much. Since you do have enough capacity, your waste heat should settle to an equilibrium where you radiators are hot enough to radiate as much waste heat as you are producing. If the thermal helpers shows you yellow numbers, you are good, if it green you are great. Red, and you need more radiators or you will always overheat. (Assuming that you aren't using a thermal receiver, because that throws everything off.)

Awesome thanks! I knew what I wrote didn't look right. What about the antimatter? It's procedurally generated based on the planet's mass right?

Looking at the code, it appears to depend on mass, radius and rotational period(inversely). But I'm not certain.

I have a Orbital Fusion station pumping out something like 35 gw of power but if I turn on the microwave transmitter is sends out all the megajoules and they shut down. Is there a way to limit how much the transmitter will put out? That way I can have it set to just above the limit of what my reactors need to stay online.