[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Any way to get the radial scoops to work on the pre-coolers, or way to make them not over heat as much N Kaaboom. It just about kills every way i would like build my craft.

You can delete the module manager entries that add heat to your engines. In gamedata/WarpPlugin, edit b9aero.cfg and rapier.cfg and remove the sabre heating module from your jet engines. You'll still need them for thermal jets, but at least regular jets won't explode.

Directly attached? Crud. Looks like I'm throwing two sections off my station.

Is there somewhere I can find out details like this? I checked the wiki and it didn't seem to have this kind of info. Maybe I was looking at an out of date one, or in the wrong spots...

It seems like really good idea to test such things on launchpad or LKO before actually attaching them to the station, it will save you a lot of time.

Also you can read wiki to get some basic info.

You can delete the module manager entries that add heat to your engines. In gamedata/WarpPlugin, edit b9aero.cfg and rapier.cfg and remove the sabre heating module from your jet engines. You'll still need them for thermal jets, but at least regular jets won't explode.

Thank you O so Very much.!!!!!:cool:

I've created a surface base connected via KAS and mined some Alumina. When trying to electrolyze it, power and Alumina is consumed but no Aluminium or Oxidizer is produced. I have proper storage set up for both resources, what could be going wrong here?

I've created a surface base connected via KAS and mined some Alumina. When trying to electrolyze it, power and Alumina is consumed but no Aluminium or Oxidizer is produced. I have proper storage set up for both resources, what could be going wrong here?

You'll want to show us your base; it's almost always a problem with the fuel lines.

You'll want to show us your base; it's almost always a problem with the fuel lines.

Do I need a direct linkage from the Refinery to my Aluminium storage? Currently the pipe connects to what I'm trying to fuel indirectly, through another object with no storage capacity for Aluminum which I think may be the problem.

If that is, though, that doesn't explain why there's no Oxidizer being produces as the refinery does have a direct connection to various parts with Oxidizer tanks.

Edit: I've connected my refinery directly to an aluminium container, as shown in the image below. Still no resources being produced from electrolysis, only consumed.

6uTuJ.jpg

Edited by mossman

Well dude, when he asked for pictures he didn't mean a picture in complete darkness.

If it was complete darkness, it would look more like this:

dans_le_noir.jpg

Thank you for helping me diagnose my problem! I really appreciate your contribution to the discussion.

Thank you for helping me diagnose my problem! I really appreciate your contribution to the discussion.

The reason he asked for pictures was so we can see the little arrows on the fuel lines. Without seeing those arrows the picture is not much better than you explaining it in text form.

The reason he asked for pictures was so we can see the little arrows on the fuel lines. Without seeing those arrows the picture is not much better than you explaining it in text form.

These aren't conventional fuel lines, they're KAS pipe connectors. They don't have anything to indicate direction if indeed they do have a direction.

Edit: I've solved the problem in a way by editing the refinery's cfg to include a small amount of Ox/Al storage. I can now manually transfer the relevant resources to where they're needed, though I still fail to understand why that step was necessary.

Edited by mossman

These aren't conventional fuel lines, they're KAS pipe connectors. They don't have anything to indicate direction if indeed they do have a direction.

Edit: I've solved the problem in a way by editing the refinery's cfg to include a small amount of Ox/Al storage. I can now manually transfer the relevant resources to where they're needed, though I still fail to understand why that step was necessary.

I don't think KAS pipes support fuel crossfeed the way that fuel lines do, they simply connect two objects together and allow manual transfer. For the refinery to transfer fuel to the tanks, it needs a proper crossfeed connection.

I've just been experimenting with new fusion reactors, the modelling is by me so it's no surprise they aren't zzz quality but hopefully you can forgive that given that you've all been asking for them for so long! These are the upgraded versions, running in Sandbox mode, so don't expect to be so wonderfully endowed with power so quickly in career mode.

These Tokamak fusion reactors (2.5m and 3.75m) are a bit different to the smaller ones, they are really geared towards Deuterium/Tritium power and consequently have an onboard supply of Lithium and Tritium-breeding is their default behaviour. During normal operation, you'll see Deuterium and Lithium get used but the Tritium should only be being lost to radiaoative decay. Their ongoing power requirements are in line with their smaller counterparts relatively speaking but are, in absolute terms, vastly larger due to power scaling - indeed the 3.75m fusion reactor requires more power than the total output of a single 1.25m (upgraded) fission or (un-upgraded) fusion reactor just to heat its plasma to fusion temperatures.

If you want, you can switch the fuel types over to Deuterium/Helium-3 or Helium-3 but this will up the power requirements even further and substantially decrease the reaction rate. The only advantage of this is that, due to the increased energy density of Deuterium/Helium-3 reactions, the upgraded 3.75m fusion reactor can produce ~4GW in this mode for more than 10 years if fully fueled.

Both the 2.5m and 3.75m reactor are heavy, similar in mass to their fission counterparts. Indeed, unlike its fission counterpart, the 3.75m reactor is even suitable for SSTO rocket operations once upgraded. (By this I mean vertical takeoff rocket SSTOs with thermal rockets, you can obviously use thermal turbojets particularly coupled with aircraft to achieve the same thing earlier), in fact the rocket below was launched as a single stage using LOx augmentation to accelerate off the pad, followed by a low-power limp to orbit using LiquidFuel.

The new DT fusion picture:

dt6hkTK.png

YprwvzH.jpg

PSHpMrV.png

Edited by Fractal_UK

I've just been experimenting with new fusion reactors, the modelling is by me so it's no surprise they aren't zzz quality but hopefully you can forgive that given that you've all been asking for them for so long! These are the upgraded versions, running in Sandbox mode, so don't expect to be so wonderfully endowed with power so quickly in career mode.

These Tokomak fusion reactors (2.5m and 3.75m) are a bit different to the smaller ones, they are really geared towards Deuterium/Tritium power and consequently have an onboard supply of Lithium and Tritium-breeding is their default behaviour. During normal operation, you'll see Deuterium and Lithium get used but the Tritium should only be being lost to radiaoative decay. Their ongoing power requirements are in line with their smaller counterparts relatively speaking but are, in absolute terms, vastly larger due to power scaling - indeed the 3.75m fusion reactor requires more power than the total output of a single 1.25m (upgraded) fission or (un-upgraded) fusion reactor just to heat its plasma to fusion temperatures.

If you want, you can switch the fuel types over to Deuterium/Helium-3 or Helium-3 but this will up the power requirements even further and substantially decrease the reaction rate. The only advantage of this is that, due to the increased energy density of Deuterium/Helium-3 reactions, the upgraded 3.75m fusion reactor can produce ~4GW in this mode for more than 10 years if fully fueled.

Both the 2.5m and 3.75m reactor are heavy, similar in mass to their fission counterparts. Indeed, unlike its fission counterpart, the 3.75m reactor is even suitable for SSTO rocket operations once upgraded. (By this I mean vertical takeoff rocket SSTOs with thermal rockets, you can obviously use thermal turbojets particularly coupled with aircraft to achieve the same thing earlier), in fact the rocket below was launched as a single stage using LOx augmentation to accelerate off the pad, followed by a low-power limp to orbit using LiquidFuel.

http://i.imgur.com/dt6hkTK.png

http://i.imgur.com/YprwvzH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PSHpMrV.png

I can't wait! The models aren't bad, and you can tell just by looking that their a different type of reactor which is a good thing.

Any chance of a Dev version drop so we can try testing it out for you?

Also, the decay rate on Tritium?

I am getting htis error on load it hangs

[LOG 20:21:37.978] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Command/computerCore/part/computerCore'

[LOG 20:21:37.998] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Command/scienceModule/part/scienceModule'

[LOG 20:21:38.011] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/AntimatterCollector/part/AntimatterCollector'

[LOG 20:21:38.019] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/AntimatterReactors/AntimatterReactor125/AntimatterReactor125'

[LOG 20:21:38.030] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/AntimatterReactors/AntimatterReactor250/AntimatterReactor250'

[LOG 20:21:38.041] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/AntimatterReactors/AntimatterReactor375/AntimatterReactor375'

[LOG 20:21:38.051] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/circradiatorKT/part/circradiatorKT'

[LOG 20:21:38.072] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/circradiatorKT/part2/circradiatorKT2'

[LOG 20:21:38.092] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/circradiatorKT/part3/circradiatorKT3'

[LOG 20:21:38.112] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/ElectricalGeneratorsL/Brayton2/Brayton2'

[WRN 20:21:38.117] Could not create PartResource of type 'ElectricCharge

[LOG 20:21:38.124] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/ElectricalGeneratorsL/Brayton3/Brayton3'

[WRN 20:21:38.128] Could not create PartResource of type 'ElectricCharge

[LOG 20:21:38.136] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/ElectricalGeneratorsS/Brayton1/Brayton1'

[WRN 20:21:38.140] Could not create PartResource of type 'ElectricCharge

[LOG 20:21:38.145] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/ElectricalGeneratorsS/tinyBrayton/tinyBrayton'

[WRN 20:21:38.150] Could not create PartResource of type 'ElectricCharge

[LOG 20:21:38.156] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/HeatRadiator/radiator0/radiator0'

[LOG 20:21:38.164] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/HeatRadiator/radiator1/radiator1'

[LOG 20:21:38.172] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/HeatRadiator/radiator2/radiator2'

[LOG 20:21:38.182] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/NuclearReactor1Sphere/25-1500/NuclearReactor375'

[LOG 20:21:38.242] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/NuclearReactor1Sphere/25-300/NuclearReactor250'

[LOG 20:21:38.297] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/NuclearReactor3Spheres/25-1-125/NuclearReactor0625'

[LOG 20:21:38.311] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/NuclearReactor3Spheres/25-25/NuclearReactor125'

[LOG 20:21:38.357] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/RadialHeatRadiator/radial/RadialRadiatorzzz'

[LOG 20:21:38.365] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/RadialHeatRadiator/radial2/RadialRadiatorzzz2'

[LOG 20:21:38.376] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/SmallFusionReactor/Fusion0/FusionReactor0625'

[LOG 20:21:38.388] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/SmallFusionReactor/Fusion1/FusionReactor125'

[LOG 20:21:38.398] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/WarpDrive/WarpDrive/WarpDrive'

[LOG 20:21:38.408] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/WarpDrive/WarpDrive2/WarpDrive2'

[LOG 20:21:38.419] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Electrical/WarpDrive/WarpDrive3/WarpDrive3'

[LOG 20:21:38.428] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Engines/AluminiumHybrid/part/AluminiumHybrid1'

[ERR 20:21:38.429] PartCompiler: Cannot clone model 'Squad/Parts/Engine/solidBooster/model' as model does not exist

[ERR 20:21:38.430] PartCompiler: Model was not compiled correctly

[ERR 20:21:38.431] PartCompiler: Cannot compile model

[ERR 20:21:38.431] PartCompiler: Cannot compile part

[LOG 20:21:38.432] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'WarpPlugin/Parts/Engines/MethaneEngine/part/FNMethaneEngine'

[LOG 20:21:38.436] Added sound_rocket_hard to FXGroup running

[LOG 20:21:38.437] Added sound_explosion_low to FXGroup flameout

[LOG 20:21:38.440] Oxidizer not found in resource database. Propellant Setup has failed.

[EXC 20:21:38.441] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[LOG 20:26:01.410] RemoteTech: ModuleSPU: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.411] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.412] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.412] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.413] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.414] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.414] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.415] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.416] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.416] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.417] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.418] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.418] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.419] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.420] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.420] RemoteTech: ModuleRTAntenna: OnDestroy

[LOG 20:26:01.421] RemoteTech: ModuleSPUPassive: OnDestroy

[WRN 20:26:01.428] [Kethane] Saving settings

These Tokomak fusion reactors (2.5m and 3.75m) are a bit different to the smaller ones, they are really geared towards Deuterium/Tritium power and consequently have an onboard supply of Lithium and Tritium-breeding is their default behaviour. During normal operation, you'll see Deuterium and Lithium get used but the Tritium should only be being lost to radiaoative decay. Their ongoing power requirements are in line with their smaller counterparts relatively speaking but are, in absolute terms, vastly larger due to power scaling - indeed the 3.75m fusion reactor requires more power than the total output of a single 1.25m (upgraded) fission or (un-upgraded) fusion reactor just to heat its plasma to fusion temperatures.

http://i.imgur.com/dt6hkTK.png

http://i.imgur.com/YprwvzH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PSHpMrV.png

Looking really good Fractal_UK :)

Glad to hear the fusion reactors are getting upsized- even though I've not yet progressed far enough in my Career Mode game to utilize them (I've followed a sort of slow, logical progression in technology- so I still haven't yet discovered fusion power... I've also been far more focused on establishing a sustainable Dunar colony with pre-fusion technology than on racking up Science Points...)

Now what about a couple other requests I've seen knocking around in here for a while, or even suggested myself: bigger thermal turojets (to utilize with the larger reactors), and better ways to store nuclear fuels?

I mention the fuel storage issue because HexCans simply don't cut it. They don't hold enough for large-scale mining operations (I'd like to see at least some sort of 2.5 meter storage container- maybe even a 3.75 meter variant, since I know a lot of the volume would be radiation-shielding...), forcing part-spam; and they're annoying in having to attach them radially and having no way to simply seat them firmly on the ground without landing legs (and the extra part-count that entails) like I could a short 2.5 meter fuel tank on its attachment node side...

For that matter, I personally would also like to see larger storage containers for water, ammonia, and the other resources... Re-rextured versions of the stock 2.5 meter fuel tanks are fine- basically all that's needed is something inline and in the 2.5 meter size...

Regards,

Northstar

@Northstar using Real Fuels you can already have Ammonia (water would need to be added, though using toroidal / spherical tanks by Tal you could have it already; or if you use TAC Life support you could already have it); water and Ammonia can be added to Modular Fuel Tanks with a simple config edit (then you wouldn't need to worry about weird storage dimensions with the trapezoidal storage tank included here).

What I find odd, however, is the density and mass per unit volume of Argon here though. Not sure where the calculation is coming from or how it's being stored to mass so much compared to RF's implementation.

@Northstar using Real Fuels you can already have Ammonia (water would need to be added, though using toroidal / spherical tanks by Tal you could have it already; or if you use TAC Life support you could already have it); water and Ammonia can be added to Modular Fuel Tanks with a simple config edit (then you wouldn't need to worry about weird storage dimensions with the trapezoidal storage tank included here).

What I find odd, however, is the density and mass per unit volume of Argon here though. Not sure where the calculation is coming from or how it's being stored to mass so much compared to RF's implementation.

Argon packs pretty densely in cryogenic form (much more densely than cryogenic hydrogen, which this mod takes Liquidfuel to represent). Actually, I;m surprised all the other implementations don't make it much denser...

As for the Thermal Turbojets, apparently somehow I missed the addition of 2.5 meter variants in the latest updates to this mod. Now what about 3.75 meter variants? :)

More seriously, though, there NEED to be 2.5 meter versions of the RAM intakes, to provide sufficient atmosphere for the 2.5 meter Thermal Turbojets... Otherwise, they're only useful in very dense atmospheres, with B9 Aerospace's 2.5 meter SABRE intakes, or with part-spam on the stock RAM intakes...

Regards,

Northstar

Question: I've recently unlocked the Plasma engines and I was curious exactly what I needed to get any real thrust out of them. I've built the tiniest craft I can with them (Quite literally a command pod, paracute, liquidFuel, generator, reactor, and engine) and I can't get any kind of TWR, most of the time I'm lucky to get .01. What am I doing wrong?

You are doing absolutely nothing incorrectly. Compare Plasma thrusters to stock ion engines. Don't compare them to thermal nozzles or turbojets. The only way to get solid amounts of thrust out of them is by using antimatter reactors or many thermal receivers on the craft with multiple transmitters in low Kerbol orbit (the sun, not the home planet). Otherwise consider them oversized ion engines.

EDIT: Off topic; that's exactly what I mean Northstar. I know cryogenically Argon is rather dense. Which is what I don't get. The tankage mass is massive in comparison to the actual storage capacity of the container here (looks like a rescaled xenon container). Looking at the mass per unit volume (unless the actual argon container inside the toroidal tank is a dang welding canister) it makes no sense. Makes me wonder what the storage unit for it is; as it sure as hell isn't any standard I can think of, not with its mass density being 0.005 compared to 0.0001 (stock game) for Xenon; a much heavier element. It just confuses me to no end.

Edited by Shad0wCatcher

You are doing absolutely nothing incorrectly. Compare Plasma thrusters to stock ion engines. Don't compare them to thermal nozzles or turbojets. The only way to get solid amounts of thrust out of them is by using antimatter reactors or many thermal receivers on the craft with multiple transmitters in low Kerbol orbit (the sun, not the home planet). Otherwise consider them oversized ion engines.

Ah, ok. So I need to set up a power transmission array in Low Kerbol Orbit to be able to beam that power anywhere in the system. Thank you!