[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

Yea found a formula on Fractral's wiki.

If thermal power does not affect ISP then all I have to do is:

1: raise core temp till I get the desired ISP

2: raise thermal power to bring thrust back up to where it was

3: Adjust radiators to compensate for higher thermal power

I could go through and do it all experimentally but there's got to be a formula sheet somewhere that'll allow me to adjust everything just by looking at the cfgs.

EDIT:

Okay here's the data I collected on an un-upgraded 3.75 Molten Salt:

Core temp: 1674 Kelvin?

596.2s - 3142.7Kn

Core temp: 1674 x 2

843s - 2222.2Kn

Core temp: 1674 x 4

1192.4s - 1571.3Kn

Now I just need to curve fit it.

Isp is proportional to the square root of the core temperature, with coefficients that are different for each possible fuel. If you mouse over a thermal nozzle in the VAB, you'll see the coefficients for all supported fuels.

I dug a little bit and I can't seem to find a good answer - but the thermal rockets seem to have a graphic that is "always on" - like it looks like it's firing in the VAB. Any idea what might cause this?

Improper install of, or not using, WaveFunction's experimental version, Fractal is MIA and version in OP does not work on .24.

Link for experimental is in WaveFunction's signature, he just posted a few posts up. DO NOT install over old Interstellar, delete your WarpPlugin and ORS folders before installing the experimental version.

FYI Wave is working on a new v.12 and will be releasing it in a new thread soon, it is going to change allot of stuff and will break saves that use parts from the current version.

At present it would be KSPI and TAC Life Support, making other mods compatible, like KW rocketry, Near Future Tech and B9. The mod that would bring it all together is Real Fuels.

Then it's just some other minor mods that add tanks/engines, etc.

on the list is once more Uniwersal Storage

Edited by sober667

So I've been going through the configs and in order to get the 3.75m Gas Core's Isp up to 5863 (2.1 times default Isp for Real Solar System) the core temperature needs to be 119000K. Is that even (theoretically) possible?

Edit: Never mind. It's kind of high but it's only a little greater than what the wiki article says for whatever that's worth.

Edited by The Pink Ranger

I just installed KSPI in version .24.2, and all the thermal engines (rocket nozzles and turbojets) are constantly running their engine exhaust, nozzle animations, and flameout effects (in two iterations, one pointed out of the nozzle like normal and one pointed perpendicular to the engine) constantly, regardless of what my throttle level is or whether I'm in flight or in the SPH or VAB. The engines do produce thrust when hooked up properly (unlike the B9 SABREs which also have their effects running in the SPH and VAB), but their 'propellant type' field has nothing in it and I don't appear to be able to switch what they're burning. This mod worked fine in .23 and multiple reinstalls haven't helped; is there any known issue that causes this?

Hi all, I have a problem on the engines and I don't know what's the error.

I have 4 engines and 4 reactors but only 1 works (wy) they all are connected the same way but only 1 reactor is showing use all other are on but off, they are all in use but for some reason only 1 is giving power.

Any ideas ??

Best regards.

Here is a image

eng.problem.jpg

Here is another

HaR.jpg

Edited by custume

I just installed KSPI in version .24.2, and all the thermal engines (rocket nozzles and turbojets) are constantly running their engine exhaust, nozzle animations, and flameout effects (in two iterations, one pointed out of the nozzle like normal and one pointed perpendicular to the engine) constantly, regardless of what my throttle level is or whether I'm in flight or in the SPH or VAB. The engines do produce thrust when hooked up properly (unlike the B9 SABREs which also have their effects running in the SPH and VAB), but their 'propellant type' field has nothing in it and I don't appear to be able to switch what they're burning. This mod worked fine in .23 and multiple reinstalls haven't helped; is there any known issue that causes this?

That's a known issue in fractal_uk's last release. On 0.24, you need to delete fractal's build of KSPI and ORS and install WaveFunctionP's branch from https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar/releases .

Issue is your trying to install a .23.5 mod into a .24 game. the official release hasn't been updated as the modder is MIA right now. get the experimental version by wavefuntion, uninstall the old KSPI compleatly and then install the experimental and it should work.

https://github.com/WaveFunctionP/KSPInterstellar/releases

edit

ninja'd :P

I have 4 engines and 4 reactors but only 1 works (wy) they all are connected the same way but only 1 reactor is showing use all other are on but off, they are all in use but for some reason only 1 is giving power.

Any ideas ??

My best guess: it's because thermal power has an ALL_VESSEL flow mode. Everything that uses thermal power (generators, thermal rockets, thermal turbojets) checks whether it's connected to a reactor, but as long as it's attached to a reactor it can draw thermal power from anywhere on the ship, even if the reactor it's physically attached to isn't producing any. It looks like all four jets are producing thrust -- can you confirm that they are?

Apparently the reactor throttling code, noticing that any reactor can supply any demand for power even if the stack-attach requirement suggests otherwise, prefers to bring one reactor up to full before it starts any of the others. In your screenshot, the reactor that's on is at around 8%. If you increase throttle until that reactor reaches 100%, you should see a second reactor come on.

In your screenshot, the reactor that's on is at around 8%. If you increase throttle until that reactor reaches 100%, you should see a second reactor come on.

If I set the power to 100% that reactor will go to 100% but all other will stay at 0% and the engines well they show thrust but after takeoff the plane will drop like a stone, I see the speed gage go from 190 to 20 in a sec, but the engines will show thrust (lots of it)

Regards to all

Temperature increases isp, and isp decreases thrust. By messing with temperature you'll be boosting thrust on the thermal engines. The engines in kspi are more complex than stock style engines. They will not be compatible with a simple isp scalar.

Hey Wave its been a while. I was wondering, are you planning on "developing" your experimental branch further in Fractal's absence, or are you simply maintaining your current version? I ask merely out of interest, as I am a long time user (Of your experimental build) and would hate to see it just sitting there :)

Hey Wave its been a while. I was wondering, are you planning on "developing" your experimental branch further in Fractal's absence, or are you simply maintaining your current version? I ask merely out of interest, as I am a long time user (Of your experimental build) and would hate to see it just sitting there :)

I think that "yes" would be an understatement at this point. :P

I worked out all of the values for all of the Molten Salt/Gas Core reactors, the Fusion Reactors, and the AIM reactor and it all works fine in game. Now I'm trying to figure out MM which I should have done from the start. Just wanted to run this MM config by someone who knows what he's doing.

This is supposed to alter the core temp and the thermal power, see anything wrong with it?

@PART[NuclearReactor375]

{

@MODULE

{

@ReactorTemp = 12782

@ThermalPower = 6300

@upgradedReactorTemp = 118944

@upgradedThermalPower = 19200

}

}

I worked out all of the values for all of the Molten Salt/Gas Core reactors, the Fusion Reactors, and the AIM reactor and it all works fine in game. Now I'm trying to figure out MM which I should have done from the start. Just wanted to run this MM config by someone who knows what he's doing.

This is supposed to alter the core temp and the thermal power, see anything wrong with it?

You need to specify the name of the module you're altering. Look for the "name =" line just below the opening bracket of the MODULE block, and put it in the MM config file like @MODULE[FNReactor] (I think FNReactor is the name of the module that hosts those values).

The experimental version from WaveFunctionP seems to crash my game :( I believe theres an issue with compatibility with other mods... Ive spent the last hour manually adding one mod in at a time and reloading the game. Does anyone have any potential fixes to assist?

Edit - Update: I believe I've identified the mods that conflict. Obviously this is purely speculative at this point but I believe its a conflict between the Interstellar Mod's "OpenResourceSystem" contents (unsure what specifically) with those contents of the MKS-Master's "OpenResourceSystem" contents. Additionally... this may be the wrong spot but MKS-Master's Firespitter.dll seems to conflict with the B9 AeroSpace's Firespitter.dll.

Update 2: It seems the Interstellar mod and the B9 Aerospace do not work with one another either. The 3 mods I've listed here do work independently of one another with the remainder of mods I have loaded. Its unfortunate as all 3 of these mods add features to the game I'd love to see work together.

Also... as Im a newer player, is there an issue with loading too many mods in the game? Any advice / assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by GrimT

You need to specify the name of the module you're altering. Look for the "name =" line just below the opening bracket of the MODULE block, and put it in the MM config file like @MODULE[FNReactor] (I think FNReactor is the name of the module that hosts those values).

Hey thanks yank, worked like a charm. I haven't done the antimatter or particle bed reactors yet (I'll get around to it tomorrow) but I linked the MM cfgs in my sig if you or anyone else wants them. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to get my ahhs to mahhz.

mars-ass.png

Edited by The Pink Ranger

The experimental version from WaveFunctionP seems to crash my game :( I believe theres an issue with compatibility with other mods... Ive spent the last hour manually adding one mod in at a time and reloading the game. Does anyone have any potential fixes to assist?

Edit - Update: I believe I've identified the mods that conflict. Obviously this is purely speculative at this point but I believe its a conflict between the Interstellar Mod's "OpenResourceSystem" contents (unsure what specifically) with those contents of the MKS-Master's "OpenResourceSystem" contents. Additionally... this may be the wrong spot but MKS-Master's Firespitter.dll seems to conflict with the B9 AeroSpace's Firespitter.dll.

Update 2: It seems the Interstellar mod and the B9 Aerospace do not work with one another either. The 3 mods I've listed here do work independently of one another with the remainder of mods I have loaded. Its unfortunate as all 3 of these mods add features to the game I'd love to see work together.

Also... as Im a newer player, is there an issue with loading too many mods in the game? Any advice / assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ok we need a little more information.

First what version of KSP are you useing? .23.x or .24.x, 32 bit or 64 bit?

Next when does the game crash? what does it do? can you post your output log?

Specifically what version of the mods do you have? some mods have both dev and release threads, sometimes the dev threads are no longer used, like in MKS, if you download the one from the dev thread you willl have much sadness.

Improper ORS dlls and duplicate resource keys is a know cause of sadness, both MKS and KSP-I use ORS, make sure to use the one from KSP-I, MKS will run with it.

If you are running .23 or the 32bit version of .24 then there is essentially a limit to the number of mods you can use, since the game is only able to access 4GBs of RAM, so mods that have allot of parts and HD textures use allot of RAM, like B9. There are ways to mitigate this though; Mods like Active Texture Management will compress and help manage textures and can enable you to run lots and lots of modes, I run the aggressive version on my 32 bit game, the KSP folder is just at 4GBs, it loads over 1900 MM patches at start up, aside from taking forever to load it runs fantastically on my 3 year old laptop and I'm sure there are people running way more stuff than me. :D

(sigh) i cant get KSPI to work with 64 bit, fresh install, threw waves exp in, started 64 bit and crash as soon as I create a new game. keep getting this damn

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'InterstellarToolbar' from assembly 'InterstellarToolbar'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 78210.

Total: 111.455925 ms (FindLiveObjects: 5.721956 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.402622 ms MarkObjects: 103.590683 ms DeleteObjects: 0.176488 ms)

UnloadTime: 4

I would pay for the game x3 over to get my old .23.5 folder with all my mods back..

Edit 1: okay so I tried lowering my graphics to nothing @.@, switching from fullscreen, changing resolution. At one point KSP didnt crash, I was even able to start my career and launch a rocket, so to double check and see if the changes I made really effect it, I restarted kerbal, and suprise... crash. The unity crash is completely uneffected by mods/graphics/resolution/memory.. This is ....ing abnoxious that 64 bit is so unstable.. Am I the only one having these Unity crashes?

Edited by Crim1

Any ideas ??

Best regards.

Make sure your in air breathing mod.... If not you will suck down your fuel alot faster in atmo. Also pointing engines at parts of your craft is a bad thing.

So I'm running into an Interesting set of errors. The game runs fine but most of KSPI pieces are buggy. First the science lab has enjoyed taking flights on its own without any propulsion (it literally just starts lifting off the launch pad). Second the UI, when brought up, has the listing of operational activities but has no output on the activities (say the reactor wont show how much energy its producing amount all the other activities having blank outputs. and Third, many parts disassemble from the structures I have put together on load.

Now the science lab floating away was just a "sit there" structure with some girders to balance everything. Upon loading it was fine but, when I extended the solar panels, it starts floating away, the girders on the bottom swinging around like wild tentacles.

The displays are funky, like some part of the plug in didnt start. With no output values, I thought that it was cause I hadn't selected an operation but when I click on one nothing happens. no retro-fitting, no research, just nothing works. it doesnt effect all parts, nor all parts the same, and ill put a list at the bottom of unaffected, partially affected and affected parts

The disassembling always happens on load in onto the lauch pad or air strip. So two things happen. First upon load the parts will disconnect from each other. Second they then will fall into each others physical space (and the launchpad), occasionally exploding from physic updates.

affected Parts (to observed):

Science lab

1.5m-3.5m reactors

Partially affected:

.625m reactor (it doesnt disassemble but only the retro-fit button works, nothing else)

Unaffected:

Microwave transmitter

Microwave reciever

Please help!

Working off the steam client version. is that the 64bit one?

Edited by Ars Techne

(sigh) i cant get KSPI to work with 64 bit, fresh install, threw waves exp in, started 64 bit and crash as soon as I create a new game. keep getting this damn

AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'InterstellarToolbar' from assembly 'InterstellarToolbar'

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/d63dfc6385190b60/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 49)

Unloading 0 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0 / Dirty serialized files: 0)

Unloading 0 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 78210.

Total: 111.455925 ms (FindLiveObjects: 5.721956 ms CreateObjectMapping: 1.402622 ms MarkObjects: 103.590683 ms DeleteObjects: 0.176488 ms)

UnloadTime: 4

I would pay for the game x3 over to get my old .23.5 folder with all my mods back..

Edit 1: okay so I tried lowering my graphics to nothing @.@, switching from fullscreen, changing resolution. At one point KSP didnt crash, I was even able to start my career and launch a rocket, so to double check and see if the changes I made really effect it, I restarted kerbal, and suprise... crash. The unity crash is completely uneffected by mods/graphics/resolution/memory.. This is ....ing abnoxious that 64 bit is so unstable.. Am I the only one having these Unity crashes?

Yeah 64bit is buggy as all hell, I wasn't able to get it to run stably with the mods I wanted installed, and honestly you really don't need it. After it just kept crashing and crashing on me, always at random times, no real correlation as to what crashed in any of the logs, I just deleted it, downloaded the 32bit version, redownloaded all my mods and it's been smooth launches ever since, and I've downloaded more since then.

With ATM I am currently running on a 3 year old laptop:

KWRocketry

B9

KSP-I

MKS/OKS

Karbonite

All the other USI packs

ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads

Near Future (all of them)

SpaceplanePlus

EVE

Astronomers Visual Pack V.3

HexTruss

IR

KAS

RT

RPM

ALCOR

ProcFairings

SCANsat

Station Science

Tal Cargo Solutions

Texture Replacer with alternate sky boxes and a bunch of suites

Squad Re-Texture Project

and those are only the ones that add parts or other textures to the game, so unless you are planning on installing every single part pack mod out there you should be fine with 32 bit, best leave 64 until squad can get it more stable. :D

So I'm running into an Interesting set of errors. The game runs fine but most of KSPI pieces are buggy. First the science lab has enjoyed taking flights on its own without any propulsion (it literally just starts lifting off the launch pad). Second the UI, when brought up, has the listing of operational activities but has no output on the activities (say the reactor wont show how much energy its producing amount all the other activities having blank outputs. and Third, many parts disassemble from the structures I have put together on load.

Now the science lab floating away was just a "sit there" structure with some girders to balance everything. Upon loading it was fine but, when I extended the solar panels, it starts floating away, the girders on the bottom swinging around like wild tentacles.

The displays are funky, like some part of the plug in didnt start. With no output values, I thought that it was cause I hadn't selected an operation but when I click on one nothing happens. no retro-fitting, no research, just nothing works. it doesnt effect all parts, nor all parts the same, and ill put a list at the bottom of unaffected, partially affected and affected parts

The disassembling always happens on load in onto the lauch pad or air strip. So two things happen. First upon load the parts will disconnect from each other. Second they then will fall into each others physical space (and the launchpad), occasionally exploding from physic updates.

Science lab

1.5m-3.5m reactors

Partially affected:

.625m reactor (it doesnt disassemble but only the retro-fit button works, nothing else)

Unaffected:

Microwave transmitter

Microwave reciever

Please help!

Sigh if you were to look back over the last couple pages you would find the answer to your problem.

Fractal has been MIA for awhile now, so the version that is on the first page is only compatible with .23.5

WaveFunctionP has been working tirelessly to update it to run on .24, there is a link to his experimental version in his signature, he posted a couple pages back, download his experimental version, delete everything from KSP-I and install his, and you will have much happiness.

EDIT: sorry to sound like such a condescending a%$ it's early and I haven't had enough coffee, I have to be at work on a Saturday :mad:

and I think I have answered that question like twice a day for the last week, and that's just me, there is all the other wonderful people on the forum that have been answering it as well.

Some advice since you appear to be new to the forums:

First before you post it is always a good idea to look through the last 5-10 pages to see if the issue you are having has already been addressed, if you can't find anything then use the thread search feature. Up at the top of the page, just above the first post on the page and just below the bar to select the page number is a little arrow that says search thread, this allows you to search for key words in the posts on this thread specifically. If you still can't find a solution to your problem then it is time to post!!!

When it comes to reporting issue or seeking support the more information you can provide the more likely it is some one can help you. In the case of your problem it was a pretty well known issue and you did provide allot of information as to what the game was doing, however there are some key bits that you left out that can help if you encounter other problems in the future.

What version of KSP are you running and what platform, .24 32bit windows, .23 64bit linux etc.

What version of the mode are you using?

If you hit alt f12 in game it will open up the debug window, here there is a debug tab that will give you a log, look for any text that isn't white and include that with your post.

What other mods are you using?

These are just a few things that can greatly help us help you. :D

Another thing since the OP says .23.5 the first thing you should do before you even install it is try and find out if it is supported on .24 or if someone has made a patch to make it work.

Cheers and happy moding!

Edited by Akira_R

Science lab

1.5m-3.5m reactors

Partially affected:

Unaffected:

Microwave transmitter

Microwave reciever

Please help!

Working off the steam client version. is that the 64bit one?

The Steam version should have installed both the 32 and 64 bit versions and defaults to the 32 bit version. So it shouldn't be a 64 bit issue unless you added the extra commands in Steam to force it to launch in 64 bit.

It sounds more like you're not using the experimental version of the mod.

Now to an issue I just noticed with the experimental version. Upgrading parts costs science not Kerbucks. So not only do I have to spend 1000 science to unlock the upgraded generators I then have to spend a few hundred more science per generator to upgrade them. I currently have 4 beamed power stations in orbit of Kerbin, each with 2 Sethlans 2 generators that need upgrades that will cost me a total of 1760 science (220 each) to do the upgrades. Plus the generators I have on other ships, which I didn't check on their total costs to upgrade yet.

I didn't even both figuring out how much I'd need to upgrade all the radiators, primarily because I disabled waste heat in the .cfg file due to the ridiculously high number of radiators needed to get the generators working at more than 10% efficiency. Even with waste heat turned off the generators still only get up to 24% before the upgrade and 42% after the upgrade even though the descriptions list 30% and 60% for thermal power and 85% for direct conversion. I saw the same numbers before turning off waste heat no matter how many extra radiators I added after the numbers turns green (at green the generators were only around 9-10% efficiency at 100% power).