[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

I didn't even both figuring out how much I'd need to upgrade all the radiators, primarily because I disabled waste heat in the .cfg file due to the ridiculously high number of radiators needed to get the generators working at more than 10% efficiency. Even with waste heat turned off the generators still only get up to 24% before the upgrade and 42% after the upgrade even though the descriptions list 30% and 60% for thermal power and 85% for direct conversion. I saw the same numbers before turning off waste heat no matter how many extra radiators I added after the numbers turns green (at green the generators were only around 9-10% efficiency at 100% power).

Radiator behavior is confusing and complicated and not properly messaged to the player, so I am not surprised if you are having issues. You can turn off waste heat, but that will just stop modules from shutting down due to buildup. Modules that use efficiency calculation will still continue to behave in the normal manner no matter the setting. Your issue is unupgraded radiators and I'm gonna guess fusion, since fission seems to work fairly well with unupgraded radiators. The immediate solution is to get experimental electronics for the radiator and generator upgrades.

I did just get Experimental Electronics, than ran into the issue of not being able to upgrade anything, because the upgrade costs are in science not Kerbucks. After researching the tech I had 34 science left and every one of the Sethlans 2 generators listed upgrade cost 34/220.

Still, the basic radiators shouldn't need such a ridiculously high number of them when used with the basic reactors. In other words, if an upgraded reactor only needs 10 of a certain size radiator, then the basic version of that same reactor should only need 10 of the basic version of that same size radiator, not 100 of them.

I did just get Experimental Electronics, than ran into the issue of not being able to upgrade anything, because the upgrade costs are in science not Kerbucks. After researching the tech I had 34 science left and every one of the Sethlans 2 generators listed upgrade cost 34/220.

Still, the basic radiators shouldn't need such a ridiculously high number of them when used with the basic reactors. In other words, if an upgraded reactor only needs 10 of a certain size radiator, then the basic version of that same reactor should only need 10 of the basic version of that same size radiator, not 100 of them.

I happen to agree, which is why I remove upgrades and buffed radiators in my next version. You'll even find the radial radiators are actually useful in general applications.

This mod looks very interesting. I'm thinking of adding it, but my mod list is getting large and, like a house of cards, I worry the next mod might break something. Can anyone tell me if there are any incompatibilities/conflicts between KSPI and the following mods? Does KSPI use up a lot of memory? (running 32 bit)

Toolbar

Active Texture Management

Chatterer

Community Resource Pack

Deadly Reentry

Editor Extensions

Engineer

Environmental Visual Enhancements

Fineprint

Rastor Prop Monitor

Kerbal Attachment System (with JeffersonFlight's patch)

KIDS

Infernal Robotics

NEAR

Final Frontier

ORS

Part Catalog

Precise Node

Procedural Fairings

Real Chute

RT2 (dev version)

Scansat (dev version)

Science Alert

Ship Manifest

Soundtrack Editor

Station Science

Texture Replacer

TAC Life Support

Alarm Clock

MKS/OKS/Karbonite

This mod looks very interesting. I'm thinking of adding it, but my mod list is getting large and, like a house of cards, I worry the next mod might break something. Can anyone tell me if there are any incompatibilities/conflicts between KSPI and the following mods? Does KSPI use up a lot of memory? (running 32 bit)

Toolbar

Chatterer

Community Resource Pack

Deadly Reentry

Editor Extensions

Engineer

Fineprint

Rastor Prop Monitor

KIDS

Infernal Robotics

NEAR

Final Frontier

ORS

Part Catalog

Precise Node

Procedural Fairings

Real Chute

RT2 (dev version)

Scansat (dev version)

Science Alert

Ship Manifest

Soundtrack Editor

Station Science

Texture Replacer

TAC Life Support

Alarm Clock

MKS/OKS/Karbonite

you should be good as long as you have all the ATM configs set up, for instance MKS doesn't come with an ATM cfg so you have to make one, but I run all these plus way more on 32 with aggressive ATM and have no issues on a 3 year old laptop :D

Toolbar

Chatterer

Community Resource Pack

Deadly Reentry

Editor Extensions

Engineer

Fineprint

Rastor Prop Monitor

KIDS

Infernal Robotics

NEAR

Final Frontier

ORS

Part Catalog

Precise Node

Procedural Fairings

Real Chute

RT2 (dev version)

Scansat (dev version)

Science Alert

Ship Manifest

Soundtrack Editor

Station Science

Texture Replacer

TAC Life Support

Alarm Clock

MKS/OKS/Karbonite

KIDS does not work with interstellar and there are a few resource conflict shenanigans with current experimental version. I am VERY close to the next version, which will break vessels in the transition. You may wish to hold out depending on how fast your progress through a save.

I happen to agree, which is why I remove upgrades and buffed radiators in my next version. You'll even find the radial radiators are actually useful in general applications.

Does this mean the upgrade system is gone for good or will it be replaced by something similar?

Does this mean the upgrade system is gone for good or will it be replaced by something similar?

The idea is that a part is a part. It should always behave the same no matter where you are on the tech tree. It also simplifies the code and chances for other mods and updates to break interstellar substantially.

It was my understanding that you could make a nuclear powered spaceship without needing liquid fuel. Whenever I use thermal thrusters, they require liquid fuel. Whatever I do. And plasma thrusters don't propel, even in space. What do I do?? I don't use antimatter reactors though, as they are hard to find fuel for. Whenever I try to use the toggle propellant on the thermal thrusters, it just stays on liquid. Is there any way to run without liquid fuel? Just nuclear?

The idea is that a part is a part. It should always behave the same no matter where you are on the tech tree. It also simplifies the code and chances for other mods and updates to break interstellar substantially.

Wave:

You are doing a great job. Can't wait to try your new experimental version with this!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89799-Nasa-IXS-Warp-ship-for-Interstellar?p=1369088&viewfull=1#post1369088

Keep up the great work.

I am VERY close to the next version, which will break vessels in the transition. You may wish to hold out depending on how fast your progress through a save.

Such a tease you are :) KSPI is probably my favorite mod all time - it feels very well designed and executed. It's a pillar in all mod setups I have. You do mention that the update will break vessels, so considering I am starting a new playthrough, I'll hold off until the experimentals are available :)

Make sure your in air breathing mod.... If not you will suck down your fuel alot faster in atmo. Also pointing engines at parts of your craft is a bad thing.

I found the problem, you are right Donziboy2, the damm engines was block by the cover, after I take off and set the engines to flight position they got block by the side panels, got it fix , and the other problem its a reactor in the middle giving power to the engines, that's wy the main reactor did show any power.

Regards to all

Hi Everyone.

I've just installed Interstellar and some other mods and am trying to get my head around how to use it all. The first thing I wanted to try was beamed power, so I fired up a new sandbox game and tried making a simple ground station to beam power. It has a 2.5m fission reactor, a 2.5m generator, a probe core and a cylindrical radiator on each end (built from the space plane hanger) with 4 pairs of wheels and finally a microwave beaming panel on the top. When I get it out on the runway from everything I can find the reactor should be running and the generator should be making power, however the reactor isn't running. Right clicking on it brings up the buttons to disable breeding and disable the reactor but none of the information above them is populated at all, no temp etc. I've tried with both fuels but nothing

Am I doing something wrong... so is something else causing me problems?

Thanks

Thank you

But I just got back into kerbal and is the first time using interstellar, so seeing 1000 pages and not knowing the currency of the problem I had thought I would be easier to ask.

Great mod anyways, hope wave can keep it alive

Hi Everyone.

I've just installed Interstellar and some other mods and am trying to get my head around how to use it all. The first thing I wanted to try was beamed power, so I fired up a new sandbox game and tried making a simple ground station to beam power. It has a 2.5m fission reactor, a 2.5m generator, a probe core and a cylindrical radiator on each end (built from the space plane hanger) with 4 pairs of wheels and finally a microwave beaming panel on the top. When I get it out on the runway from everything I can find the reactor should be running and the generator should be making power, however the reactor isn't running. Right clicking on it brings up the buttons to disable breeding and disable the reactor but none of the information above them is populated at all, no temp etc. I've tried with both fuels but nothing

Am I doing something wrong... so is something else causing me problems?

Thanks

The version in the OP isn't supported in .24.2

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43839-0-23-5-KSP-Interstellar-%28Toolbar-Integration-New-Models-New-Tech%29-Version-0-11?p=1329198&viewfull=1#post1329198

It was my understanding that you could make a nuclear powered spaceship without needing liquid fuel. Whenever I use thermal thrusters, they require liquid fuel. Whatever I do. And plasma thrusters don't propel, even in space. What do I do?? I don't use antimatter reactors though, as they are hard to find fuel for. Whenever I try to use the toggle propellant on the thermal thrusters, it just stays on liquid. Is there any way to run without liquid fuel? Just nuclear?
u always need a propelant liquid fuel is best fpr plazma trusters for termal i think better is LFO(if i good remember)

u always need a propelant liquid fuel is best fpr plazma trusters for termal i think better is LFO(if i good remember)

Actually... Upgraded plasma thrusters can use the quantum vacuum as fuel, you just need to switch to that from anything else once you have unlocked the upgrade (and have enough power). Also, you don't need onboard propellant for the upgraded thermal turbojet either, you just need some air intakes and a reactor (or a microwave thermal receiver).

Right... that explains all the trouble... I thought I had checked versions but apparently missed the version check for this.

Time to go investigate the options for downgrading KSP

Thanks

It was my understanding that you could make a nuclear powered spaceship without needing liquid fuel.

You can, but you need SOMETHING to throw out the back in order to make go. the tyranny of the rocket equation at work. if you right click on the thrusters, there should be an option to toggle propellant mode, and it will offer you whatever propellant is available on the craft, including IntakeAir, which is used to make atmospheric planes that only need the the air around them.

Later in the tech tree, you'll get Quantum Vacuum Thrusters, which are upgraded Plasma Thrusters, which can push spacecraft with only electrical megawatts, but 1) you need LOTS and 2) the thrust is very low (about 1/50th the thermal system).