[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

ok im back yet again. so if i wanted to build a beamed power network, whats the best way to go about this? is a munar based set of reactors feasible or is a kerbal orbit best? my main goal is having an in system shuttle that consistently gets good coverage and never goes too far astray from a reactor, but id like to have as few operational locations as possible. i was thinking near and far side locations on the surface of the mun but i cant find any "literature" regarding the exact equation used for calculating distance/power input ratios.

I have tried searching this, but can't find a solution. I did find that other people have experienced it. When in VAB (or on launch pad without starting engines for that matter) , the engine flame animation plays, and it plays at two different positions simultaneously (one straight down, one perpendicular to that). If I knew how to include screenshot, I would. I have uninstalled all mods but KSPI to see if one of them was the problem, but this bug persists. None of the other engines in the mod have this problem. Only the thermal rockets and thermal turbojet. Any thoughts?

I've never gotten the warp drive to work as intended. I've seen the warp effect but not when I expected it to show. It has shown up at certain camera angles before I even activated the first launch stage, it's shown up in orbit briefly when I least expected it, and whenever I click "activate warp drive", nothing happens.

Also every time I tried to get an antimatter reactor(IXS main hull as well) into orbit, weird glitches started to prevent me. Aside from certain pieces passing right through the rest of my ship before I have a chance to launch, when I got it to stay together using heavy struts, I was able to get the ship to about 6km above the surface before it would go out of control like you would never believe. All of a sudden the camera stops following my ship as it zooms out of control...

I'm not the only one to experience these glitches as I've read elsewhere, and don't say I've installed it incorrectly or that it's another mod, because I've created a new file with only KSPI and still it has glitches. The only thing I can think of is that I'm using KSP v0.24.2(or something around there) instead of 0.23.5 but everyone says they're compatible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, I've just tested AGAIN and everything connected to the top of my nuclear fission reactor just falls through my entire ship, even with struts. I launched anyway just for kicks and noticed that this is causing the camera glitch that I experienced before. It's like the camera is trying to focus on both parts and so it sits in the sky. What the heck is wrong with some of these parts?

I have tried searching this, but can't find a solution. I did find that other people have experienced it. When in VAB (or on launch pad without starting engines for that matter) , the engine flame animation plays, and it plays at two different positions simultaneously (one straight down, one perpendicular to that). If I knew how to include screenshot, I would. I have uninstalled all mods but KSPI to see if one of them was the problem, but this bug persists. None of the other engines in the mod have this problem. Only the thermal rockets and thermal turbojet. Any thoughts?

If you are running the game by itself (not through Steam), F1 takes a screenshot. If you are in Steam, then F12 takes a screenshot.

As for your problem, it sounds like an improper install.

The original KSP Interstellar by FractalUK (in the original post) is no longer supported. You will need to use WaveFunctionP's experimental version (if you do not want to use the version that is closest to the original Interstellar). There is also a newer KSP Interstellar Lite, where significant changes have been made, that you may want to check out as well.

I'm not the only one to experience these glitches as I've read elsewhere, and don't say I've installed it incorrectly or that it's another mod, because I've created a new file with only KSPI and still it has glitches. The only thing I can think of is that I'm using KSP v0.24.2(or something around there) instead of 0.23.5 but everyone says they're compatible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The original Interstellar mod (the one in this thread) isn't compatible with 0.24 because FRACTAL_UK, the guy making it, hasn't been seen on the forums for months. It's been adapted by WaveFunctionP as Interstellar Lite, which works in 0.24.2 and adds a bunch of new features. It also makes a number of changes to the original Interstellar mod that depending on your viewpoint are either trivial, a huge improvement, or make the whole thing unplayable. Undercoveryankee has made a mod to this mod of a mod called Classic Pack, which combines some of the new functionality with the way things worked in 0.23.5.

If you are running the game by itself (not through Steam), F1 takes a screenshot. If you are in Steam, then F12 takes a screenshot.

As for your problem, it sounds like an improper install.

The original KSP Interstellar by FractalUK (in the original post) is no longer supported. You will need to use WaveFunctionP's experimental version (if you do not want to use the version that is closest to the original Interstellar). There is also a newer KSP Interstellar Lite, where significant changes have been made, that you may want to check out as well.

Regarding the screenshots, I know how to do that, but it asks for a URL to attach them here, and I don't know what that's about. Regarding the primary issue, yes. I was using FractalUK's version. Using KSPI Lite fixed it. Thank you for the help.

Apologies about my prolonged absence recently, many of those of you who are long time players of Interstellar will have noticed that even while I was still nominally around a few months ago that my ability to update the mod was not what it used to be in its heyday when development was near continuous and rapid. That kind of rate of development on KSP projects is gone for me for the foreseeable future due to significantly increased work commitments, not least because when a large part of my working day involves writing C# code, it's hard to motivate myself to come home and do the same thing, no matter how much I enjoy working on Interstellar.

For the last couple of months, things have been even busier and, due to a combination of work and (a little bit of) my own travel. As a result, I've only had a few days at home in the UK for quite some time and hadn't managed to log into that forums for... I dread to think how long. PMs built up in my inbox and overflowed, so apologies if you tried to contact me and just saw some message about my inbox being full. That should all now be rectified and hopefully I can keep on top of everything from here!

I don't want to make any rash comments about being back or promising a huge and exciting array of new features for Interstellar because chances are I can't commit to it. So far, I've played version 0.24 for about an hour in total, so I have a lot of catching up to do in learning about what's changed before I can really think about how I would want to change Interstellar to tally with the latest versions of KSP. What I have done today is I have pushed a bunch of changes to the Interstellar and ORS source code that make Interstellar compatible with the latest KSP and my, so far very limited, testing seems to suggest it works alright.

I currently have a bunch of half-finished changes that I had written for version 0.12 (which have also been pushed). The next thing I plan to do is get an up to date copy of all the part cfgs pushed to Github (those are currently horrendously out of date) and I invite anyone who is interested to participate in helping me to catch Interstellar up with the recent changes in KSP.

I should also be able to release a beta version of Interstellar with my semi-recent changes within the near future. I stress that this won't be a fully featured 0.24 release, it will simply fix all the bugs that break the current release as well as providing some fairly cool new Interstellar features. That said, going forward, the only way I see myself getting back on track with this is with a lot of help from the community so I'll also be focusing on making changes that make it easier for other people to contribute to the project, hopefully allowing Interstellar to still grow quickly with lesser involvement from me.

I'm also really pleased that Interstellar apparently hasn't dwindled off the radar despite my recent neglect of it (I probably owe a lot to WaveFunctionP for that!) and I hope you've all been well and enjoying your KSP while I've been away!

Apologies about my prolonged absence recently, many of those of you who are long time players of Interstellar will have noticed that even while I was still nominally around a few months ago that my ability to update the mod was not what it used to be in its heyday when development was near continuous and rapid. That kind of rate of development on KSP projects is gone for me for the foreseeable future due to significantly increased work commitments, not least because when a large part of my working day involves writing C# code, it's hard to motivate myself to come home and do the same thing, no matter how much I enjoy working on Interstellar.

For the last couple of months, things have been even busier and, due to a combination of work and (a little bit of) my own travel. As a result, I've only had a few days at home in the UK for quite some time and hadn't managed to log into that forums for... I dread to think how long. PMs built up in my inbox and overflowed, so apologies if you tried to contact me and just saw some message about my inbox being full. That should all now be rectified and hopefully I can keep on top of everything from here!

I don't want to make any rash comments about being back or promising a huge and exciting array of new features for Interstellar because chances are I can't commit to it. So far, I've played version 0.24 for about an hour in total, so I have a lot of catching up to do in learning about what's changed before I can really think about how I would want to change Interstellar to tally with the latest versions of KSP. What I have done today is I have pushed a bunch of changes to the Interstellar and ORS source code that make Interstellar compatible with the latest KSP and my, so far very limited, testing seems to suggest it works alright.

I currently have a bunch of half-finished changes that I had written for version 0.12 (which have also been pushed). The next thing I plan to do is get an up to date copy of all the part cfgs pushed to Github (those are currently horrendously out of date) and I invite anyone who is interested to participate in helping me to catch Interstellar up with the recent changes in KSP.

I should also be able to release a beta version of Interstellar with my semi-recent changes within the near future. I stress that this won't be a fully featured 0.24 release, it will simply fix all the bugs that break the current release as well as providing some fairly cool new Interstellar features. That said, going forward, the only way I see myself getting back on track with this is with a lot of help from the community so I'll also be focusing on making changes that make it easier for other people to contribute to the project, hopefully allowing Interstellar to still grow quickly with lesser involvement from me.

I'm also really pleased that Interstellar apparently hasn't dwindled off the radar despite my recent neglect of it (I probably owe a lot to WaveFunctionP for that!) and I hope you've all been well and enjoying your KSP while I've been away!

Again, welcome back!

If you need a hand on the ORS side (my PM probably got lost in the mix), I'd happily volunteer to cat herd on that one as I have a very vested interest in ORS ;)

The code issues are:

1. requestresource was changed, which is easy to fix.

2. the old science only career is now science_sandbox. Anything that was checking for career will need to check for science mode as well.

3: treeloader is not updated. it does not support science mode. And the license does not allow modification. Opensource replacements are in the works, but not complete yet.

KSPI Lite:

So many changes its hard to know where to start. It is basically an attempt to polish the kspi experience with a focus on clarity and usability. Most of the stat inflation has been muted for a more stocklike experience. Parts are parts mostly. No hidden upgrades. Most stat changing modes were removed to clarify progression. The focus was maintaining each part with a useful niche even after you've progressed up the tree. Resource compatibility was improved to play nicer with other mods. (A general trend. CommunityResourcePack was the main thrust of that.) More module functionality was exposed for part file configuration. This was mostly as a result of tweakscale integration. Radiators now glow red hot proportional to wasteheat. I know temperature is a more correct, but I wanted a visual indicator for waste heat besides a resource bar.

The future plans were to expose more functionality to the part files to allow additional advanced configurations to like upgrades and modes. Comprehensive part configuration is also needed to make the mode compatible with the many various universe resize packs. I also was working on removing treeloader dependance, and making upgrades tech tree/node agnostic to allow players more customization of their tech tree. And a sort of resource progression was intended, as well as more final, balanced costs for resources.

I should note that I received a lot of good feedback on these changes, particularly the usability stuff. The negative feedback I received was mostly players complaining that they missed the advanced features like extra modes and upgrades and then there were those that I will kindly say probably enjoyed overpowered parts and "realism". (Views which I understand, but I had to release at some point.) I had plans to address both of those complaints with the next version with part file configurations. There is already a "classic kspi" configuration available. The guiding idea I was working with was that kspilite was balanced for stock ksp, and you could download module manager configs to suit your tastes or the universe you were playing in.

I also commissioned a new part, which roverdude kindly provided:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/93308-KSPI-Lite-needs-a-model-for-it-s-impact-experiment

Intended to give the impact experiment it's own part so that it doesn't have to override the stock experiment and confuse players.

There were many smaller bug fixes to kspi and ors. You can review my pull request history in my repo for most of them. I would be happy to help you whatever way I can. It's great to have you back. I had like a billion questions about the code while developing kspilite.

For those wondering about kspilite, there will only ever be one version of kspi. I intend to align kspilite to meet with fractals versions whenever there is a conflict. I expect that it will eventually be depreciated back to my old hobby version that I use personally, but still available publicly like my experimental version was for the last year. I will probably support .25, so that people that started saves don't have to delete their saves, but that will likely be the end of that little experiment. I had fun, I hope you guys did as well.

Oh, and the telescope experiment is utterly broken and I haven't the foggiest idea how to fix it. Helium depletion doesn't appear to working, but mostly, the vessel just explodes at random (probably a ksp issue). And science always returns 1. I have fixes for the other science generating modules.

I am fairly confident that I am an idiot though, which would explain my inability to fix the telescope.

It's probably related to the fact that large parts of my code are pretty terrible. I thought about trying to do a rewrite but there's just too much code to make that viable so I'll go for a more incremental rewrite approach.

The telescope should probably be changed to use the proper science interface like the impactor experiment. That is on my list of things to look at.

Glad to see you back, lite is ok but it feels like a large turn in direction for the mod and I'm not a fan, I hope KSPi can keep going in a "non-lite" direction at some point, for now I'm using near future propulsion, karbonite, USI + TACLS to get a more "endgame" feel which I miss from KSPi, it's too easy to "win" the stock tech tree still.

Fractal - what are the odds of merging in some of KSPI-L's resource changes? These went a huge way towards mod interop and it would be sad if we had to cordon off parts of the playground again :/

Honestly, I don't know. I don't really know what the changes that have been made are at this stage so it would be difficult for me to comment. I have a huge amount of catching up to do. If you or someone else could PM me with a brief overview of that, it would help me to look at it sooner.

Oh, and the telescope experiment is utterly broken and I haven't the foggiest idea how to fix it. [...]
It's probably related to the fact that large parts of my code are pretty terrible. [...]

YAY! Peace in our time through self-depreciation! my English ancestry says "Haruph" and "Children these days, Incorrigible" and then grudgingly approves in a sedate and dignified manner befitting The Empire.

YAY! Peace in our time through self-depreciation! my English ancestry says "Haruph" and "Children these days, Incorrigible" and then grudgingly approves in a sedate and dignified manner befitting The Empire.

lol. I do love that English humour.