[0.25]KSP Interstellar (Magnetic Nozzles, ISRU Revamp) Version 0.13

Fractal_UK

this was on the MKS thread but i figured i should bring it here to ask how would one do what hes talking about. how do i change KSPIs LqdWater to water?

It's one of the changes made in my Community Resource Pack integration pack. If you don't have CRP and want to change just Water, you'll delete the parts of the pack you're not using and change any :NEEDS clauses on the water-related patches. I thought I had posted an example of a water-only config somewhere, but I'm having some trouble finding it again.

Do you have a lot of MJ available for the amount of charged particles your reactor is generating? The ratio of charged particles to MJ seems to be a limiting factor.

Ratio of charged particles to MJ? Time for some testing.

I coupled a 2.5m upgraded fusion reactor to a solid state generator, and a 2.5m magnetic nozzle.

Thrust generated per reactor fuel used:

D/T: 23 kN

D/H3: 22.25 kN

H3: 28 kN

Is this by design? If so, how can I change it? I'm baffled. This is ruining the mid-game for me.

If I use this mod with a mod that adds extra moons/planets/star systems to the game, will I be able to collect Interstellar resources from them? (like, say... Aluminia, or whatever)

ahh yeah well spotted I wanted 100EC's to be one MW.

It is a shame about the resource handler.

what about a way to remove beamed power, warp, plasma/dt engines and the ISRU's ?

That should be much easier. Just remove all the related part files. I don't THINK this will break anything ... ask again if something weird happens, the plugin code has enough interactions with the various parts that it's possible.

Is this by design? If so, how can I change it? I'm baffled. This is ruining the mid-game for me.

I spoke without reading the actual numbers you listed. I think those are the correct max thrusts, I was getting the same off some significant power generation. The magnetic drives I believe are high ips not high thrust. If it makes you feel any better with low power they can go really really low.

If I use this mod with a mod that adds extra moons/planets/star systems to the game, will I be able to collect Interstellar resources from them? (like, say... Aluminia, or whatever)

No. The resources don't exist on planets that don't have an ORS map defined. If the planet author hasn't provided ORS maps, they're not that hard to set up. Look at the configs for the stock planets and use SCANsat if you need a height map.

Will you guys *PLEASE* stop complaining about the Magnetic Nozzles having low thrust. It's SUPPOSED to be that way: it's a high-ISP, low-Thrust option. That means, it has great fuel-efficiency but low power. You can have one or the other: TWR or efficiency. You can't have both. It's one of the fundamental trade-offs of rocketry, so please stop complaining about it.

Now, if you have a legitimate case for why the low TWR is wrong/unrealistic, like with the Meth/LOX chemical engine (which has better TWR *and* ISP that in Interstellar in real life), then feel free to post about it. Otherwise, learn to love physics time-warp and MechJeb for long burns.

Regards,

Northstar

Ratio of charged particles to MJ? Time for some testing.

I coupled a 2.5m upgraded fusion reactor to a solid state generator, and a 2.5m magnetic nozzle.

Thrust generated per reactor fuel used:

D/T: 23 kN

D/H3: 22.25 kN

H3: 28 kN

I think magnetic engines just always have stupidly low thrust. Use thermal rocket nozzles. With a 2.5 m upgraded d-t fusion and a thermal rocket nozzle, you get 180 kn of thrust and 6500 Isp. With 3.5m upgraded, you get the same Isp and 1500 kn.

And that is with pure LF. If you use LFO, you get 3.6 times the thrust and .6 times the Isp. With MethaLOX, you get 6.6 times the thrust and .34 times the Isp.

Edited by Shalashalska

I think magnetic engines just always have stupidly low thrust. Use thermal rocket nozzles. With a 2.5 m upgraded d-t fusion and a thermal rocket nozzle, you get 180 kn of thrust and 6500 Isp. With 3.5m upgraded, you get the same Isp and 1500 kn.

And that is with pure LF. If you use LFO, you get 3.6 times the thrust and .6 times the Isp. With MethaLOX, you get 6.6 times the thrust and .34 times the Isp.

I'm really liking the thermal rockets and turbojets. They're not so overpowered as to feel ridiculous, but still have a decent Isp (866 with a microwave thermal receiver, 2400+ with an upgraded fission reactor). If you compare them to the old-school technique of LV-N clusters for large interplanetary ships... well, there's really no comparison. :-)

With a 2.5 m upgraded d-t fusion and a thermal rocket nozzle, you get 180 kn of thrust and 6500 Isp.

Not anymore since v0.13. Isp is now limited at about 3000, thrust got higher, if I am not mistaken.

You're describing the custom tree problem that KSP [0.25] has with Interstellar [0.13]

You can get your missing parts if you copy the code shown above, paste onto notepad, and save as <filename>.cfg You have to select "all file type" instead of "text" in the save interface, as otherwise you'll end up with <filename>.cfg.txt and that won't help. Put that config file in any folder inside your KSP install directory. It works on the KSP root, inside the Gamedata or WarpPlugin folders. It does not matter. You must delete or move out of the KSP install your TreeLoader folder located inside the GameData folder.

Now, I've been reading a lot of posts about this fix not working, so there's definitively some confusion as to what to expect. I'll try to make things a bit clearer.

Thank you for the clarification. I suppose with this fix functioning the amount of science you need to unlock all the items is drastically reduced as well, making a "proper" KSPI career impossible? I suppose I will just sandbox it up for the time being and wait for the devs to patch this issue out.

I need some help, my tech tree isn't showing the full interstellar tree on my career save. It says I have all the nodes unlocked but the tree is missing everything from from basic fusion and up (everything that costs greater than 1000 science). I've tried pasting the tree.cfg file into my save and that didn't change anything.

It works just fine on sandbox, the issue is only on career.

I'm running KSP 0.25 x64 on windows 8.1

Mods: Mechjeb, Kethane

I have no idea what the problem is so any help will be appreciated.

I think my post was lost, so I'll repeat it. I'm still having scaling issues with the magnetic nozzles, is anyone else also having this issue? It seems like people are not so I'm not sure what the issue is.
Anyone got a decent fix for the tree loader bug yet... its killing the game for me at the moment; having done so much on a save, to be told I can't get all the parts is really frustrating...

Both issues have temporary work around MM files just a page or two back. Scan back a couple of pages and you'll find what you're looking for.

Meanwhile, I finally got to plasma thrusters and was ... kinda disappointed. I guess I was expecting the FX to be more like a hyped up version of hot rockets ion FX as that is rather what a VASMIR looks like in operation though pinkish-purple for argon. What I got was rather ... well, not to dis the new FX but, it looks like little pink clouds at the lower thrust (1.2Gw).

Am I just misunderstanding what the output of a plasma thruster (or any electric engine for that matter) should look like?

The VASMIR and HR Ion have what looks like short thin but otherwise static output. These are also very low thrust/low power outputs. Wouldn't a higher power output result in a longer brighter exhaust? It shouldn't be larger as there should be very little or no expansion of the exhaust due to the shear velocity of the exhaust? Or is my understanding here faulty.

Hey, I installed the latest version and I see that the folding Alcubierre drive from the previous version is missing. Any chance of getting that back, or is there someplace I can download it separately?

The folder has never officially been in, so it's not missing.

WaveFunctionP packaged the folding Alcubierre with KSPI Lite, so if you thought of KSPI Lite as the "previous version" you might have gotten used to having it pre-packaged. There's a package linked from the Alcubierre page on the Interstellar github wiki. Not quite a drop-in, but close (change name and TechRequired to suit in each part config, and fix the scale factors if they're affected by the changes in 0.25).

You must be a real hoot at parties.

WaveFunctionP packaged the folding Alcubierre with KSPI Lite, so if you thought of KSPI Lite as the "previous version" you might have gotten used to having it pre-packaged. There's a package linked from the Alcubierre page on the Interstellar github wiki. Not quite a drop-in, but close (change name and TechRequired to suit in each part config, and fix the scale factors if they're affected by the changes in 0.25).

Ah. I see it. Thank you.