[1.8.1] Docking Port Alignment Indicator (Version 6.8.5 - Updated 12/14/19)

NavyFish

Does this work with 0.24.2 and MM 2.2.0?

I refer you to the post at the top of the page. :P

In the future, please take a moment to read through the last 3-4 pages to see if your problem or question has already been answered.

I hope you enjoy DPAI as much as I do. It's on my highly recommended list. :)

I refer you to the post at the top of the page. :P

In the future, please take a moment to read through the last 3-4 pages to see if your problem or question has already been answered.

I hope you enjoy DPAI as much as I do. It's on my highly recommended list. :)

So this won't essentially work with other mods...

Ah, thanks, I'll just wait for an update to this brilliant mod then. :)

I think you're confused. He's saying if you go back and look, it works just fine.

It work with 24.2 ( both 32 bit and 64 bit version ).

BUT

you need to download "modulemanager 2.2.0.dll" file and replace it with the one that are in the docking mod ( 2.1.5.dll ).

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219

The modulemanager.2.2.0.dll need to be placed in your " kerbal\gamedata\

YES the docking mod do work out of the box even with the 2.1.5.dll file BUT I recommend that you update the file to the newest one, since many other mods do not work correctly without the new file 2.2.0 that are 24.2 ready.

Although since that post, ModuleManager updated again to 2.2.1. Several mods include it, but you can download it separately.

It's great that I can cycle through the target vessel docking ports. (I've been using DPAI since vers 1.0) However, MechJeb doesn't recognize that I've selected a port. When I select a target vessel's port using the Targetron mod, MJ does recognize that I've selected the port.

Is there a button I need to click in DPAI so that MJ "sees" the port I've selected? If this function is not there, NavyFish, you may wish to add it in the next version.

I think you're confused. He's saying if you go back and look, it works just fine.

Although since that post, ModuleManager updated again to 2.2.1. Several mods include it, but you can download it separately.

*Facepalm* I always thought he ment that it only worked with 2.1.5 and that I had to replace 2.2.x with that one. Duh...

It's great that I can cycle through the target vessel docking ports. (I've been using DPAI since vers 1.0) However, MechJeb doesn't recognize that I've selected a port. When I select a target vessel's port using the Targetron mod, MJ does recognize that I've selected the port.

Is there a button I need to click in DPAI so that MJ "sees" the port I've selected? If this function is not there, NavyFish, you may wish to add it in the next version.

I second this. The best would be if you either leave this functionality to other mods, such as targetron (scope creep), or update the "KSP target" once switching ports in DPAI.

I second this. The best would be if you either leave this functionality to other mods, such as targetron (scope creep), or update the "KSP target" once switching ports in DPAI.

The new and revised Haystack replaces Targetron. It has many more features as well, including, when you select a port on a target vessel, then MechJeb recognizes the selected port.

Your mod is perfect! Simple, yet intuitive. It makes docking super simple. I don't even need to see my ships -- I have all of the information I need right in one place. I can even tell when I need that final burst to compensate for the increased velocity from the pull of the magnetic locks (don't want to set up a resonance across my station...) Great job! Thanks! -Dave

This is a great mod, but I was wondering if it was possible to set the default behaviour of the docking alignment to not pop up when I come within (2.25 km) range of the targeted ship?

Seconded. I do not want DPAI to pop up until I've selected a docking port as target. I know selecting far away docking ports manually is hard, but targeting should be left for other mods, IMO. I liked it better before this functionality was added.

Request: Add lateral and longitudinal range markers to the cross, like cdst.

I could use a few clarifications.

- I don't understand the function of Module Manager. It seems like it is supposed to be entirely transparent to me as a user. Can/should I have 2.2.1 running as well as 2.1.5 as the docking mod appears to use?

- Does MM have anything to do with toolbars?

- Some mods seem to be running great on new toolbars that look like some kind of UI API functionality provided by squad since 0.24. Is that correct?

- Other mods such as Docking and Kerbal alarm clock appear to not be updated and don't use this functionality. Is that correct?

- What, then, is causing the button for Docking to free float on the screen during every launch? Is there a way I can resolve this?

- Similar issue with Alarm Clock, but the button is immobile and conceals UI elements because I run the game with a larger in flight UI. Same issue or should I go ahead and post over in the Alarm thread?

Thanks for your help.

I could use a few clarifications.

- I don't understand the function of Module Manager. It seems like it is supposed to be entirely transparent to me as a user. Can/should I have 2.2.1 running as well as 2.1.5 as the docking mod appears to use?

You need to remove any extra versions of Module Manager you have, there should only be one in your top level GameData directory. Use the latest version that's available. (2.2.3 is out actually)
- Does MM have anything to do with toolbars?

Not to my knowledge but don't quote me on that

- Some mods seem to be running great on new toolbars that look like some kind of UI API functionality provided by squad since 0.24. Is that correct?
Correct
- Other mods such as Docking and Kerbal alarm clock appear to not be updated and don't use this functionality. Is that correct?
I wouldn't say that is correct. i.e. KAC is updated but they may not want to use the stock toolbar yet. Perhaps they'll be updated for this later. DPAI hasn't been updated for awhile even though it still works, so they for sure haven't added in functionality for the stock toolbar.
- What, then, is causing the button for Docking to free float on the screen during every launch? Is there a way I can resolve this?
I haven't used DPAI really yet, but this might stem from before there was a toolbar and so they had their own free floating button for it, there might be something in the settings to set it to Blizzy's toolbar, or it just may not have any other toolbar options. Usually though there is a setting to allow you to unlock or just flat out move the button elsewhere.
- Similar issue with Alarm Clock, but the button is immobile and conceals UI elements because I run the game with a larger in flight UI. Same issue or should I go ahead and post over in the Alarm thread?
I know for a fact KAC includes this option, you can set it to use blizzy's toolbar in the Visibility options in the settings for it.
Thanks for your help.
Hopefully I was able to help :)

• 2 weeks later...

What a wonderful mod this is. Thank you for giving it to us. I have never had a problem with rendez-vous, but until now I've struggled with making a straight-on docking approach, especially with large ships. With the help of this mod, I just docked 3 big ships in a row to my space station, each on the first try. Thanks!

Hi,

This excellent mod is not working for me in 24.2.559. The supplied ModuleManager.2.1.5.dll causes the game to hang. The most recent ModuleManager.2.3.3 solves the hang but the mod does not work in game. There is a note above stating MM is not needed, so I tried removing it: the mod still does not work for me

(I also get this error in the log in that last case:

[LOG 15:45:47.987] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'DockingPortAlignment' from assembly 'DockingPortAlignment'

[EXC 15:45:48.087] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object)

Hello Again!

It's been nearly two months since I've been on the forums (and more than that since I've played KSP, sadly...), but my cross-country move and subsequent job transition are nearing completion, so I will start visiting the thread more frequently in the coming weeks.

After reading the past several pages, there have been some excellent points made, features requested, and bugs reported. You're giving me plenty to chew on for the next update!

I'll do my my best over the next few days to respond to each relevant post in-turn.

As always, I want to thank you guys (and gals?) for the constant constructive feedback and words of praise. Talk to you sgain soon!

-Navy

Hello Again!

It's been nearly two months since I've been on the forums (and more than that since I've played KSP, sadly...), but my cross-country move and subsequent job transition are nearing completion, so I will start visiting the thread more frequently in the coming weeks.

After reading the past several pages, there have been some excellent points made, features requested, and bugs reported. You're giving me plenty to chew on for the next update!

I'll do my my best over the next few days to respond to each relevant post in-turn.

As always, I want to thank you guys (and gals?) for the constant constructive feedback and words of praise. Talk to you sgain soon!

-Navy

Please make the auto targeting an optional feature. Trying to land on the Mun next to a craft and suddenly having a pink dot block your view isn't fun.

Here's a bunch of stuff, in no particular order:

My impression was that the mod works fine with 32-bit KSP. There are some bugs with the 64-bit version, but at this time I don't know if they're Unity/KSP bugs or ones specifically caused by DPAI. I'm not doing anything particularly non-standard in terms of plugin use-case, so I doubt they're related to my code. But I will look into it, certainly.

Please use the latest ModuleManager. Always and forever.

I do intend to remove auto-targeting. Instead, with a vessel targeted (and within 2.5km), the DPAI gauge will display a button that allows you to target the vessel's docking ports. An "Acquire Docking Signal"-esque button. Also, the DPAI will no longer auto pop-up or auto-hide - you'll have to manually toggle it using the stock toolbar (see next point).

@ragzilla - I'll definitely be integrating DPAI with the stock toolbar. Thank you for the patch! Note to anyone not using Blizzy's toolbar: my 'custom toolbar icon' code has a bug in it - it won't save the position of the button, so even if you drag it away from the center of your screen, it'll pop back there after every launch. Hopefully stock toolbar integration will allow me to remove that custom button altogether.

@Apollo13, LostOblivion - There will be a mismatch between DPAI's target and KSP's (Navball) target outside of 2.5km. This is because, outside of 2.5km, KSP refuses to target individual parts - it will only target the root node of a vessel. I have to 'fake' DPAI's information outside of that range, and I can't directly control the Navball. Sorry. Inside of 2.5km, however, DPAI and the Navball should always align. If this is not the case, please post a screenshot.

I'll also integrate the mod with the KSP-AVC plugin. Great stuff!

I'd love to see RPM integration, but there's a large(ish) hurdle in the way: when you switch to an IVA view, KSP automatically sets the command module as the transform reference (e.g. the "Control From Here" point). So, unless your docking port is directly on top of your command module, the displayed information is useless. Until I can figure that one out, RPM is on hold.

I'm considering moving the project to a GitHub repo, to allow folks to more easily make pull requests. Is there enough interest in this by fellow plugin developers to warrant the setup cost?

Edited by NavyFish

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.