[0.22] Universe Replacer v4.0

Tingle

This might sounds pretty dumb, but you can still see planets as tiny pixels even with a different skybox right?

Also, is there a simply higher-res of the default one?

First question: Of course, though it may be difficult to discern them if you have a colourful skybox.

Second question: Not unless Squad have released one (assuming by default you mean stock).

Looks very promising (and much more what I am after - a subtle effect), but you might want to try to update this for the newest version of Universe Replacer. I tried renaming the images to be compliant, but they do not seem to be loading into the correct layout - the seams do not match.

Edit: To fix it you just need to switch the names of NegativeY and PositiveY. Then it's perfect. Thank you for the realistic skybox. Could I request a version saved as TGA, instead of JPG? JPG tends to corrupt stars. Also how about a 4096x4096 version?

Edit: Just read that the Tycho dataset does not include nebulae, or the Andromeda galaxy, for example.

Thanks for doing my due diligence. Yes I did not upgrade to the newest version yet and will be doing so the next time I play. At that time I'll fix the skybox and re-upload to the same file and announce it here. I can make TGA instead of JPG. I actually made them JPG by accident when I was exporting, thinking I was exporting to PNG. I don't notice any artifacting but if you see it, I'll go for it.

I can save as a 4096x4096. I *think* the source data will benefit from it but am not 100% sure. Can't hurt to try.

Yeah I wish galaxies and stuff were in there, but you gotta go with what you have. I guess I could find images, shrink 'em down, and paste 'em in but that sound like a lot of work to me :)

I don't even care that much that this is "realistic" or not. I just wanted it to both be pretty and have a tilted galaxy. The fact that the stars match ours is just a bonus for me!

I know yall here are a fan of the 7zip but everyone can use .zip, even if it's not a 'better' format. most windows users won't even have 7z installed. plus, on windows machines, zip files can be content-viewed directly from the file browser with no additional level of complexity. if you look at the great majority of addons, they're all in .zip ; spaceport only takes .zip

Using the 4k box provided in the OP, I get a massive frame rate drop in the VAB when I select the root part (top of the range box, blah, blah).

Had to uninstall. Shame, nice idea.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Using the 4k box provided in the OP, I get a massive frame rate drop in the VAB when I select the root part (top of the range box, blah, blah).

"Top of the range", but what is the size of your VRAM, per graphics card?

Thanks for doing my due diligence. Yes I did not upgrade to the newest version yet and will be doing so the next time I play. At that time I'll fix the skybox and re-upload to the same file and announce it here. I can make TGA instead of JPG. I actually made them JPG by accident when I was exporting, thinking I was exporting to PNG. I don't notice any artifacting but if you see it, I'll go for it.

I can save as a 4096x4096. I *think* the source data will benefit from it but am not 100% sure. Can't hurt to try.

Yeah I wish galaxies and stuff were in there, but you gotta go with what you have. I guess I could find images, shrink 'em down, and paste 'em in but that sound like a lot of work to me :)

I don't even care that much that this is "realistic" or not. I just wanted it to both be pretty and have a tilted galaxy. The fact that the stars match ours is just a bonus for me!

Out of interest, what are you using to make the cube maps? I've tried HDRShop, but it would be really handy if there was another program that could then split the cube map into separate images.

try to turn off Vsync ;)

Ok I am noticing this as well and I know why, I will try to create a work around for this problem and include a fix in v2.1. If you guys notice anywhere else where this happens, please report it here. Please test things like entering and leaving moons and planets and try to notice if it happens there as well.

"Top of the range", but what is the size of your VRAM, per graphics card?

10954MB

try to turn off Vsync ;)

Never.

Ok I am noticing this as well and I know why, I will try to create a work around for this problem and include a fix in v2.1. If you guys notice anywhere else where this happens, please report it here. Please test things like entering and leaving moons and planets and try to notice if it happens there as well.

Cool beans. Thanks.

I know yall here are a fan of the 7zip but everyone can use .zip, even if it's not a 'better' format. most windows users won't even have 7z installed.

Anyone who can download and install a mod can do the same with 7zip. It's not a complicated process and it's very useful for all the other common file formats a user might encounter day-to-day.

Great mod! The free, open source tool Spacescape would probably go great with this.

I've been toying with that, and it has great potential but there's one tile (bottom) that i get to fit. Not sure if it's me messing up, or some mis-alignment between Spacescape and KSP.

Out of interest, what are you using to make the cube maps? I've tried HDRShop, but it would be really handy if there was another program that could then split the cube map into separate images.

Somewhere buried in the thread I linked to CubeTheSphere, and said how you had to rename the files to get them to work, remember that since then the Neg/Pos Y's have changed (as you told me :) )

I've been toying with that, and it has great potential but there's one tile (bottom) that i get to fit. Not sure if it's me messing up, or some mis-alignment between Spacescape and KSP.

Try rotating that one tile 180 degrees. It's what I had to do with CubeTheSphere's output.

When you do - please do share a 4096x4096 version.

I tried dl-ing your 2048x2048 skybox, and after renaming the textures still don't match.

Try rotating that one tile 180 degrees. It's what I had to do with CubeTheSphere's output.

I did that. Also tried mirroring in various directions. It won't fit.

Either it's swapped with a tile where misalignment is not noticeable (unlikely because it's full of large nebula), or that one tile that Spacescape produces is misaligned.

Has anyone used Spacescape successfully to produce a ksp skybox? http://alexcpeterson.com/spacescape

I applied the textures as follows:

GalaxyTex_NegativeX = Textures/Skybox/..._left2

GalaxyTex_NegativeY = Textures/Skybox/..._top3

GalaxyTex_NegativeZ = Textures/Skybox/..._back6

GalaxyTex_PositiveX = Textures/Skybox/..._right1

GalaxyTex_PositiveY = Textures/Skybox/..._bottom4

GalaxyTex_PositiveZ = Textures/Skybox/..._front5

Initially i had top at positiveY and bottom at negativeY, but those were very obviously swapped. After moving them around the top did fit but the bottom still does not...

Updated to v2.1 - please report any remaining issues :).

v2.1 - Various performance improvements and fixed the lag issues when dragging a vehicle around in the editor or moving the mouse over buildings.
Edited by Tingle

Hi, I just downloaded universe replacer v 2.1 but there seems to be no textures in the folder. Is this supposed to be like that or am I supposed to add then separately?