How do you pronounce 'Mun'

Pugspaceprogram

I pronounce it moon.

The umlaut makes the ü into a ooh sound

Except it doesn't have an Umlaut at all most of the time... In game, no Umlaut. Wiki, no Umlaut. I know I've seen it that way before, I just can't recall if I ever have in anything official...

Except it doesn't have an Umlaut at all most of the time... In game, no Umlaut. Wiki, no Umlaut. I know I've seen it that way before, I just can't recall if I ever have in anything official...

It does say on the wiki:'mun, also known as the mun and sometimes written as Mün, is a large grey moon orbiting kerbin.

Source:http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mun

It does say on the wiki:'mun, also known as the mun and sometimes written as Mün, is a large grey moon orbiting kerbin.

Source:http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Mun

Yeah it's also got a note at the bottom...

After its implementation, many fans began calling the body Mün, pronounced the same as "moon", believing the original spelling to be a mistake. However, several of the game's developers have been heard referring to it as Mun, pronounced "muhn". In the "Surface of the Mün" title screen, a crashed lander has the words "Mün or Bust" scrawled on the side. Both spellings are generally accepted, however the spelling in-game is Mun, the lander is believed to be a reference to the Farlands or bust YouTube series run by KurtJmac, a popular YouTuber and KSP player.[citation needed]

Ok, sorry I missed that. CARRY ON!

Well I'm not sure if they meant for the citation needed tag is just on farlands or bust thing or the entire thing, so yeah... The wiki also points out that the crashed ship on the title screen has the Umlaut...they even have a screenshot.

StartGameMenu.0.21.1.png

It would be nice if a dev weighed in with the official 'word' though. ;)

I don't think it is a umlaut in the title screen I'm thinking its a :).

Oh by the way how does one pronounce umlaut?

Oh oh I pronounce it like sun fun bun with an Australian accent.

I could be wrong we need the almighty creator Harv to enlighten us. All prase the Harv to shine his light on us.

that is incorrect. if it had an umlaut (which is doesnt anymore), it would be "moon".

source: http://www.unwords.com/view/pronounce.html

Me, as a German, can say this is not correct. Ü sounds quite like the Y mysterious.

So Myn. (If it has dots, what seems not to be clear :))

Also, ingame the Umlaut is not supported properly, so I can't name my rockets Münshot. They are called Dumbfire the most now.

Edited by Voudoo

Meun, mhoon, Myn, Mon ... I must say that, to me as a linguist, watching the pronunciation of an invented name discussed and explained in writing in a language where pronunciation of letters couldn't be any more colourfully different with position in the word, adjacent letters, nearby words, context, semantics, age, gender, shoe size, blood type, local annual rainfall and population density, sunspot activity and exchange rate Mesopotamian Yen to West-Canadian Peso is most amusing. :)

Edited by Andersenman

It's officially spelled mün, which i see as a German u-umlaut and is... difficult to pronounce in English. It's closer to Moon with the oo as in you than to Mun with the u like in grunt. I'm a native Dutch speaker and in Dutch we use the sound to say our word U, a more strict term for our you, which you'd use when talking to your boss for example. The ü is a bit like... the sound you pass by when saying 'ewww'. It'll be a bit like ee-ü-wwww i think. It's hard to explain :P. Anyway, i usually prounounce it like that, or just like moon. I've lived in places where u was pronounced oo, as in Umagi.

Mün.

... I have no idea how to phonetically spell that without the umlaut though. Myun comes close, I guess.

Edited by Spyritdragon

How to pronounce

Anyway, to a Dutchman the ü is pretty much de Dutch version of 'uu' (Bascially a long 'u', the short version being like the 'u' in 'butt', the long version not being used in English as far is i can think of), which pronounced with a thick American accent would give you something like 'Muuhn' (Somewhat cow-like), which is how i pronounce it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.