[0.24.2] TiberDyne Aerospace R&D Division - Shuttle System 3.6 Career Update!

Tiberion

I guess I have to update. :) But removing the "hips" from the engine-less version would be a good idea, they're pretty much vestigial in it. Also, it seems that I confused you with TouhouTorpedo. :) He was the one who made Mk3 cockpit.

Regardless of whether you're going to make an IVA or not, a new, more Shuttle-like cockpit would be great. The current one doesn't really look good, being based on this ugly stock one. An IVA, even pretty simple, is a nice thing to have, though. And I like flying from it, especially when it comes to airplanes and landers. Gives you a better "feel" of the craft.

Well, after a little surgery I was able to trim out the pods and leave the RCS blocks intact.

1rUFOuF.png

(Current Buran Mount left, New one Right)

I have to go through and set up all the RCS transform objects again (argh) but I guess its worth it.

Edit:

Cascade failure! The Buran OMS was too wide to fit in there.. so I had to slim it down a bit.

But it worked...

5kz8a9H.jpg

Edited by Tiberion

Yeah. Lookin' great. Also could you try to make the Zenit boosters at least a bit modular? I'd like to have a modular Zenit-2 LV (which is essentially an Energia booster with an upper stage and PLF).

how do you figure?

Edit: here's the SRB with its adapter flange attached to some stock 2.5m parts, it looks just about perfect for an Ares I launcher (You'll have to find the upper stage and Orion elsewhere, its a bit beyond the scope of my shuttle mod here.)

Edited by Tiberion

how do you figure?

Edit: here's the SRB with its adapter flange attached to some stock 2.5m parts, it looks just about perfect for an Ares I launcher (You'll have to find the upper stage and Orion elsewhere, its a bit beyond the scope of my shuttle mod here.)

How it's blasphemy? Because it isn't 1.25m or 2.5m, obviously. Blasphemy, I say, BLASPHEMY!

oh, and I don't suppose that you can be talked into making a buran-style engine for the buran-style outboard tank?

Alright, I think I have all of the artwork done for the new launchers. I made an adapter flange to go to a 2.5m for your upper stage payloads. I'm not planning on adding any upper stage parts or supplying fairings because those things are available in NP or elsewhere. I'm pretty much just providing the Shuttle-derived parts for now.

I also made a new tank decoupler, you can see it in a couple of the shots. Pretty simple, but I think it'll work for both tanks well enough.

I found out in a test of the Blizzard/Buran launcher that you can't use the new booster decouplers with sepratron motors on the 4x strap-on boosters since they are angled. It WILL ruin your day; so just use the old low-profile decouplers for that, and let the boosters fall away.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Have some more stuff to do, and I need to redo all the tank volume/fuel numbers, so the updates not coming yet :)

Yeah its very controllable now, you don't have to turn off SAS to steer it, and the SAS dampens any oversteer. You still need to build the shuttle properly so the main engine is far enough from the CoM to have enough torque, but otherwise its pretty nice. And using Capslock for precision mode is also very useful.

I could probably make a single engine piece for the blizzard - if I had planned ahead better I could have used welding like I did with the SRBs, but alas I didn't. I am going to rework the SSMEs and will try it out then.

The Blizzard boosters are a single piece, those darker pieces are deformed from the main cylinder and not a different part, so I can't split them up. I reused the old original model (check page 1) so maybe I'll make a new one sometime.

FYI to those interested, it is possible to rescale the cargo bay so it fits nicely with stock Mk3/Mk2 stuff.

(not intended as an insult to TiberDyne: the shuttle looks great, I just don't like having *tons* of new parts in my VAB/SPH).

Tiberion, if folks are interested, might I redistribute the scaled bay with appropriate licensing? EG, you get all the credit. I just know there's a lot of pull out there for a mostly stock cargo bay, and this one looks and works great!

Here is what i was working on today.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So, what to do with the cargobay doors? I could move the hinge up to the top of the vertical section, so only the top panels move, but it's less clearance and doesn't look cool like real thing. I could shrink in the intake but I'd also need to shrink the bearcub engine thats attached (its welded, so I wouldn't need to shrink the separate part.

Sigh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.