Sketchup to KSP

I know this can be done, I just don't know how. I know it is possible to model an object in Sketchup and then export it in a form usable by KSP. How does one go about doing this? I'm asking because I want to get started on some new SAS parts the game really needs (radial stuff) and I want to do the modeling by hand, because that's fun.

I'm pretty sure Sketchup is what Bac9 uses, and he talks about his process here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/747-The-Making-Of-New-KSC

Yes, and look at the result. Everything looks beautiful but the game suffers for it - and unless someone can explain why the game plays so poorly now other than all the new eye candy, I'll stick to that theory.

None of the problems I have experienced in KSP 0.21 can be attributed to the models or textures, this possibility is excluded because they change based on the situations, where the models and textures do not. As such it's much more likely that the fault lies in the new scene system or one of the other changes

I can tell you why. I know and talk to otehr modellers on skype and they said that a sidefffect of exporting in the required format is a massive hike in poly count. Supposedly, there is some way to counteract this. I don't know what it is.

As for the space center scene, that is inherently too high poly to begin with, only made worse by what I just said.

I'm pretty sure Sketchup is what Bac9 uses, and he talks about his process here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/entry.php/747-The-Making-Of-New-KSC

Yea, and that should be all the evidence ya need to see that SketchUp is a poor choice for KSP modeling....unless for some crazy reason you enjoy the waaaay longer load times for going between KSC and VAB scenes....

I'd be fine with just a simple hanger with Zero animations and certainly not some kerbal truck drifting outside the VAB (you think I'm joking look for it)

The process using sketchup looks painful especially when it comes to skinning,

I can tell you for a fact that Artyom's new buildings have less polygons than the originals, so that's not the issue at all. Remember, many other things were changed and a few of them in areas that are more likely to affect performance.

Cheers!

Capt'n Skunky

KSP Community Manager

Models made in sketchup won't lag more than models made in other 3D programs, I don't know where the hell you pulled that theory from. The new space centre buildings are BETTER optimised than the old ones.

Never said SU models lag the game more....I said its more work to get them to a low poly count once imported into unity, unlike .blends....and its not a theory, i saw it for myself trying BOTH sketchup and blender.....

And the new building are garbage imo regardless of how optimized they are, they are just not kerbal at all. And why is there not a setting option to turn off those stupid trucks like there is for the work crew???

Never said SU models lag the game more....I said its more work to get them to a low poly count once imported into unity, unlike .blends....and its not a theory, i saw it for myself trying BOTH sketchup and blender.....

And the new building are garbage imo regardless of how optimized they are, they are just not kerbal at all. And why is there not a setting option to turn off those stupid trucks like there is for the work crew???

Just because you cannot easily create optimised models with SU does not mean Bac9 cannot. He also describes exactly what he thought the theme of the design should be, and that was probably based on internal discussion with the other developers.

They're not "kerbal" because Artyom specifically made them not to be. Like he said in his blog, they're skilled engineers. The new KSC is beautiful, you're not allowed to have any other opinion on that.

Even if the models aren't as optimized as they could be, they're still a lot more so than the old buildings. You would get more lag with the old buildings than with the new ones, that's a simple fact. If you're lagging, it's not because of Artyom's work.

They're not "kerbal" because Artyom specifically made them not to be. Like he said in his blog, they're skilled engineers. The new KSC is beautiful, you're not allowed to have any other opinion on that.

Even if the models aren't as optimized as they could be, they're still a lot more so than the old buildings. You would get more lag with the old buildings than with the new ones, that's a simple fact. If you're lagging, it's not because of Artyom's work.

I can have any opinion I want, and its rather rude and pedantic of you to say otherwise....

I suffered a frame-rate loss in the 0.21 upgrade, but clawed it back by modifying the settings for Kerbin's oceans in the settings.cfg file. I now have much better terrain detail than I did before, too.

and its not a theory, i saw it for myself trying BOTH sketchup and blender...

Well you are right, thats not a theory, thats more of a fallacy because you assume nobody is better than you at it.

Well you are right, thats not a theory, thats more of a fallacy because you assume nobody is better than you at it.

Wrong again, nor did I say anything at anypoint to imply such a thing. In fact I have said many times in many threads how much of a noob I am at this....

FACT: the EXACT SAME model imported into Unity will have more initial polygons from SU as it will from Blender...of course thats not a big deal for someone that has been doing this for year.

The only assumption here is the one that YOUR making that everyone is as good as someone doing it for years....

And yall can stop your personal attack on me...Im not the only KSP player that HATES the new KSC buildings.....everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

The only assumption here is the one that YOUR making that everyone is as good as someone doing it for years...
Artyom isn't "everyone", and he has been doing this for years, mate. It's quite literally what he works with.

Artyom isn't "everyone", and he has been doing this for years, mate. It's quite literally what he works with.

Irrelevent to ANY point being made in this thread.......

Go read the original post again all of you....the OP is asking if its possible to use SU and what the pros and cons are.

all i tried to say it that SU imports into unity a bit poly heavy compared to blender...how does that have anything to do with Bac9 or what he chooses to use for modeling???

and if new scenes do not create lag then someone please, for love of god, explain to me the one second of lag i get in VAB when one of those little trucks enter the scene...lag i NEVER got prior to 0.21(and yes, it happens in vanilla install)

Edited by KhaosCorp

Never said SU models lag the game more....I said its more work to get them to a low poly count once imported into unity, unlike .blends....and its not a theory, i saw it for myself trying BOTH sketchup and blender

Are you by any means implying that the mathematical formulas used to convert any shape into a conjunction of 3-sided polys that unity uses is different from one filetype to another? Because that's a pretty retarded thing to do.

Maybe you did a model in either blender or sketchup first and then imported it to the other program, and then to unity, which could cause such effect given the errors and miscalculations that exists when converting from one format to another. As I don't believe you did the exact same model in a program and then redid it exactly in the other program just to test such a theory.

The rest of your post is just inflammatory content irrelevant to the thread, as is the rest of your posts in the thread itself.

Hello there :)

So, guys, you had three pages to stick to the topic. Instead, you went on a vitriol-filled tangent about whether or not SketchUp caused performance issues. I'm closing this now, because I'm seeing this go everywhere - just not back to the topic.

FEichinger

Edited by FEichinger