[0.21.1] StretchyTanks v0.2.2 (updated 8-26-13)

AncientGammoner

Do you have enough struts up at the top? I think you missed a spot...

The guidelines say that when there's enough struts, add more struts!

I sent a PM with the code to AncientGammoner the day I wrote it and made the new textures; still haven't heard back. Guess I'll just release an archive to be dropped on top of a ST install.

Please do that?

Edited by p3asant

Yeah. I've also sent a PM to AncientGammoner detailing some plugin functionality I would really like to see implemented. Haven't heard back from him either.

Suggestion for super stretchy tank:

Optional (set in cfg) snapping of tank diameter to 0.625m increments, for easier fitting with parts that are standard size, while maintaining flexibility.

optional suggestion:

Optional limit on height-to-diameter ratio, e.g. max 3 times diameter (same as orange tank), maybe 4 times.

Reason: to prevent what might be considered cheating on how building stacks of fuel tanks is apparently supposed to work in KSP.

Sorry guys, school year has started for me, which means a lot less time on my hands to create pretend rockets in a computer game and a lot more time spent learning how to create real rockets (<-- aerospace engineer). These days, the time I do spend on KSP usually involves actually playing the game lol. Jahulath, I'll send you the blender model if you like, not much else to the unity setup once you have that, just drag and drop textures. Dragon01, your suggestions are answered elsewhere in this thread, you can't stretch the top and bottom independently using the current method, it can only scale the model in x, y, z. Nathan, the zip I received only had a dll, not the code.

where do i find that?

You have it already but it's optional so you have to find the zip file in the folder you installed

full path:

<KSP_win directory>\GameData\StretchyTanks\Plugins\StretchyTanks_modularFuelTanks.zip

Unzip it somewhere in your StretchyTanks folder (can go anywhere really as it's just a modulemanager CFG file)

Jahulath, I'll send you the blender model if you like, not much else to the unity setup once you have that, just drag and drop textures.

That'd be great, thank you very much - and good luck with University! (Or college or school or however)

I am also trying to get it to work with kethane I unzipped the extra file it still wont carry kethane, what am I doing wrong?

Do you also have the modular fuel tanks mod installed? The file just provides support for it.

Then, in the VAB you have to actually configure the tank to be able to contain Kethane. (by clicking the action group tab)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/31706-0-20-Modular-Fuel-System-1-3-realistic-fuels-reconfigurable-fuel-tanks-and-engines?highlight=modular+fuels

Edited by Starwaster

• 2 weeks later...

Hey AncientGammoner,

Looks like we're having PM problems again? So trying a post. The Stretchy SRB (and my changes to the codebase to support the new textures, and better scale MFS values, incorporating Starwaster's fix) is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6c7qdk7fnkihyn/StretchySRB.zip

The source is next to the DLL. This gets unzipped into the existing StretchyTanks folder.

The SRB counts as a SuperStretchy, and G+mouseover scales burn time (and, inversely, thrust)

That looks great. BTW, do you think you could make some more changes to the plugin? I'd like to be able to independently scale the upper surface of the tank, and to be able to offset it from vertical. That would allow quite a few interesting arrangements.

The way StretchyTanks works is by applying a scale transform to a fixed model. That means you can only scale, not warp, the tank. To get what you're asking for (what many people have asked about upthread) you need to change all the stretching code to use a method like DYJ does in Procedural Wings, where the model is transformed by bones.

I've contemplated, at times, trying to make a new procedural tank mod of my own using that method, but (a) it's a lot of work and (B) pWings has a pretty restrictive license.

How's Pwings license too restrictive? Just PM DYJ asking if you can make such a mod using his code. It seems he's very much still around, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Well, that's one way to do it. But I wanted to be able to do stuff such as Soyuz and N1 procedurally. This would require an offset, tapering tank. That said, wouldn't it be possible to just model (say, KW-style) Soyuz-like tank and set up procedural scaling for it? Wouldn't really work for adapters (the one in PWings sucks because of non-adjustable height and silly shape), but at least you'll get more variety.

You could experiment with just using the KW Soyuz tank as the model. Texture would be messed up though, unless you add detection for non-ST models and don't change their textures.

Just set it up as a SuperStretchy, set the initial mass appropriately, and ST will use any model, I think.

You could experiment with just using the KW Soyuz tank as the model. Texture would be messed up though, unless you add detection for non-ST models and don't change their textures.

Just set it up as a SuperStretchy, set the initial mass appropriately, and ST will use any model, I think.

Actually I tried that myself earlier today. It didnt work. The model showed up but no mouse over functions would... Function.

Not even the text that shows stats. detectNewAttach() was throwing null errors constantly.

Which is odd because it just looks at the attachment nodes and specifically checks that they are not returning null values before it does anything. Though it occurs to me that I was using the dll with your changes but I'm not sure I was looking at the source with your changes. Did you change anything in that function maybe?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.