MechJeb 2 - Patch test bed release (October 10)

sarbian

Hi all. Still in Japan, great weather and a lot of fun. Shop around here have awesome stuff and it's quite hard not to buy everything in sight : http://twitpic.com/df7r2q

Please use github for feature request, it will be a lot easier for me :)

Ok, Siri informs me that 41,000 yen converts to about 417 US dollars....

that thing better go to SPACE!

Has the auto-landing code been touched in this update? MechJeb used to be able to land right on top of a flag if I plugged in the coordinates, with this patch it's always at least 10m off.

Hi guys and gals. Can anyone tell me whether the functionality of being able to control more than one craft at a time (within 250m) has been removed/restored/ignored? I think I read somewhere that it had been removed but I am sure I just managed it with one craft but not another. It is a function I use a LOT so if anyone had a definitive answer I would be very happy to find out.

EDIT: just tested and it seems that it is no longer possible to control an unfocused craft. Does anyone know the last version where this functionality remains? I will have to stop at that version and cope with any bugs that remain there...

Use R4m0ns

This! I made this suggestion as an addition to MJ2 about 3 months ago on the main MechJeb2 github but I guess it was missed or something. Here it is https://github.com/MuMech/MechJeb2/issues/141. Another mod named Fusebox has recently provided many of those stats in a separate plugin but I think it just feels much more natural to have those stats in MechJeb. Anybody else thinking some thing similar?

I wrote Fusebox because the functionality didn't exist in MJ or engineer. The problems with integrating into MJ would be:

1) who owns MJ now? Or put a different way, who decides what can go in?

2) Charge is not easy to track as I have found out. Mass, fuel etc are all handled by standard methods and well debugged. Charge is handled differently by various standard methods let alone what the mods get up to. Not even all standard parts report charge use correctly - reaction wheels for example.

I could add more but 2) is the big showstopper really. Until there is a standardized way to query maximum and actual current charge use for a PartModule which is implemented across stock plus mods it's just a no go. I'm having to produce 4 different linked versions of my dll just to cope with a 'normal' set of mods, can you see MJ wanting to do that? I have the MJ source and I could splice the Fusebox functionality in but it'd be a right swine to maintain. I mean I had hoped to talk one of MJ or KE into takeing Fusebox inside as a display window but as I have explained, they'd be nuts to touch it right now.

1) who owns MJ now? Or put a different way, who decides what can go in?

MechJeb is released under the GPL, just fork it and do what you want. You have to follow the terms of the license, and r4m0n holds the original copyright, but nothing is stopping you from releasing your own version, or maybe getting together with a few interested people and creating a community fork.

Hi all. Still in Japan, great weather and a lot of fun. Shop around here have awesome stuff and it's quite hard not to buy everything in sight : http://twitpic.com/df7r2q

Please use github for feature request, it will be a lot easier for me :)

omg so much WANT.

You have a new github issue with some feature requests :)

Also, THANK YOU

EDIT: Is Visual Studio Express 2012 sufficient to develop MechJeb? (I've cloned with git)

Edited by dizzysaurus

Just a quick note to say sorry, it was NOT Mechjeb playing up... it was ME not knowing what I was doing.

It actually works perfectly if you do it all in the right order.... like, matching planes with your target (moon or planet) first...

:)

I sent the following pull request https://github.com/sarbian/MechJeb2/pull/5

I tested the changes over the last few days and they work well. I would lose mechjeb functionality on all my vessels when I docked with those undocked changes, and some people may want mechjeb to continue to function even on undocked vessels, a cleaner option may present itself in the future but for now I think reversion was the best choice.

The dV calculations for interstellar mod work similarly to the way ion dV is calculated, but on the engines with variable ISP it will change based on the ISP the engine is currently functioning at, so it's not perfect but it's better than nothing. Here is a link to the compiled .dll for anyone who wants to just drop this into their GameData.

https://github.com/Conti/MechJeb2/releases/tag/8af07cdecfeedca08b0da5cab0969ee4ec116854

omg so much WANT.

You have a new github issue with some feature requests :)

Also, THANK YOU

EDIT: Is Visual Studio Express 2012 sufficient to develop MechJeb? (I've cloned with git)

The monodevelop build that is packaged with unity is plenty to do it,

Just a quick note to say sorry, it was NOT Mechjeb playing up... it was ME not knowing what I was doing.

It actually works perfectly if you do it all in the right order.... like, matching planes with your target (moon or planet) first...

:)

if for any reason you don't/can't match planes first you can compensate by using the fine tune option in Maneuver Planner. Unless you're totally off course, Fine Tune will fix it. You should use it in any event anyway as it gives the option of tuning your periapsis before you get there.

(for fun, use drogues to aerobrake over Eve, unless you're using Deadly Re-Entry...)

Hi guys and gals. Can anyone tell me whether the functionality of being able to control more than one craft at a time (within 250m) has been removed/restored/ignored? I think I read somewhere that it had been removed but I am sure I just managed it with one craft but not another. It is a function I use a LOT so if anyone had a definitive answer I would be very happy to find out.

EDIT: just tested and it seems that it is no longer possible to control an unfocused craft. Does anyone know the last version where this functionality remains? I will have to stop at that version and cope with any bugs that remain there...

As was noted on the front page, the multipatch's dll is broken slightly, use the one from https://www.dropbox.com/sh/djj3ptsqm8efmtg/fBH1UxbBxK

if for any reason you don't/can't match planes first you can compensate by using the fine tune option in Maneuver Planner. Unless you're totally off course, Fine Tune will fix it. You should use it in any event anyway as it gives the option of tuning your periapsis before you get there.

(for fun, use drogues to aerobrake over Eve, unless you're using Deadly Re-Entry...)

My attempts at aerobraking with drogue chutes near Eve tend to end in the orbit decaying almost completely, but that might just be LLL parts and FAR conspiring against me, :D

Edited by Reddot99

Happens to all of us at one time or another. :) Thanks for stopping by and updating us!

If you launch on a 0 degree azimuth, you shouldn't have to match planes. Most mismatch will be handled when you perform the insertion burn and the balance when you fine tune. If you really, really need to be in a particular orbit around your target, it's generally easier to set up with "change inclination" right after you enter your target's SOI.

Conti, your version has the fixed delta V calculations?

The deltaV calculations were not broken... I simply added support for engines (like those that are in the interstellar mod) which use Megajoules as a resource.

Funfact: R4m0n is back and has released a new dev build. Freaky, huh? I talked to him for a minute on IRC and he said he was planning on folding the changes from this version into the main branch, if Sarbian is agreeable...now we just have to get both of them to show up at the same time huh?

Funfact: R4m0n is back and has released a new dev build. Freaky, huh? I talked to him for a minute on IRC and he said he was planning on folding the changes from this version into the main branch, if Sarbian is agreeable...now we just have to get both of them to show up at the same time huh?

Sure, Let's take up a collection to send R4m0n to Japan then! :P

I have vessel on mun orbit and docking autopilot seems to not working.

Try turning off RCS fuel conservation.

Failing that provide more information please.

Edited by Starwaster

this sounds like great news

Still not work, rcs work from time to time to keep ship parallel but not translate at all.

This is how situation looks, mechjeb is in Pravilo Control System. I use version from 9 september, in previous versions (but i'm not sure which) docking worked).

Did you turn off Conserve RCS Fuel? You have to do that each and every time you're going to use the docking autopilot. Maybe there's a version out there that eliminated that problem, I'm not sure. But when it says that it's moving forward at 0.0 m/s2 then you have to find the option that says Conserve RCS Fuel and disable it. It will re-enable every time you load that ship.