MechJeb 2 - Patch test bed release (October 10)

sarbian

I have raised a question about a possible bug in the delta-v calculations / staging on the offical thread, but since much of the action is here would welcome some comments on how I can proceed with testing and packaging a fix for it. Thanks.

It might be a good idea to wait until this branch is merged with the official branch and then submit it on the official github

Did you turn off Conserve RCS Fuel? You have to do that each and every time you're going to use the docking autopilot. Maybe there's a version out there that eliminated that problem, I'm not sure. But when it says that it's moving forward at 0.0 m/s2 then you have to find the option that says Conserve RCS Fuel and disable it. It will re-enable every time you load that ship.

Yes, i disabled conserving, still not translate.

@sarbian,

I would like to request that the "eye"pod model be updated if at all possible, I really like using that as the tops to my unmanned probes with it's big robotic eyeball looking around.

-Æ

Well, it's quite easy to update it yourself:

Step 1: Download mechjeb version 1.

Step 2: Extract the eyePod. (You get it? iPod?)

Step 3: Open the .cfg file of the Eye Pod

Step 4: Change the

module=mechjeb

or whatever it's called to

module=part.

Step 5:

Open the Mechjeb Ar202case cfg from mechjeb2.

Step 6: Copy the

MODULE{

}

Thingy that contains something with MechJeb.

Step 7: Paste it in the Eye Pod core cfg.

Step 8: ???

Step 9: PROFIT!

I have raised a question about a possible bug in the delta-v calculations / staging on the offical thread, but since much of the action is here would welcome some comments on how I can proceed with testing and packaging a fix for it. Thanks.

Actually, I'd advise adding 'autostage settings' to utility window or somewhere, and make sure it's set to stop at the stage number before your cargo.

Still not work, rcs work from time to time to keep ship parallel but not translate at all.

This is how situation looks, mechjeb is in Pravilo Control System. I use version from 9 september, in previous versions (but i'm not sure which) docking worked).

Stupid question, but do you happen to be out of RCS fuel?

Well, it's quite easy to update it yourself:

Step 1: Download mechjeb version 1.

Step 2: Extract the eyePod. (You get it? iPod?)

Step 3: Open the .cfg file of the Eye Pod

Step 4: Change the

module=mechjeb

or whatever it's called to

module=part.

Step 5:

Open the Mechjeb Ar202case cfg from mechjeb2.

Step 6: Copy the

MODULE{

}

Thingy that contains something with MechJeb.

Step 7: Paste it in the Eye Pod core cfg.

Step 8: ???

Step 9: PROFIT!

problem is the model is messed up where the textures are screwed or that the model itself the game treats as it doesn't exist.

-Æ

Actually, I'd advise adding 'autostage settings' to utility window or somewhere, and make sure it's set to stop at the stage number before your cargo.

Well that is my what I do for the particular problem of autostaging popping of fairings earlier than I want it to, however that was not the bug, that was just a side comment.

The problem I was drawing attention to is that with the test craft I provided, MechJeb's delta-v/TWR assumptions cause it miss the start when executing a manouver node.

Some advice needed:

When you are going to visit another planet, which method of getting there is best? Do you:

a) get into orbit, select the planet and choose "transfer to another planet", then wait for the transfer window?

or

B) get into orbit, burn out of Kerbin's SOI (either prograde or retrograde on Kerbin's orbit depending if the planet is closer to Kerbol or further away). Once you're in orbit around Kerbol, match planes with the target then perform a hohmann transfer to the target.

Some advice needed:

When you are going to visit another planet, which method of getting there is best? Do you:

a) get into orbit, select the planet and choose "transfer to another planet", then wait for the transfer window?

or

B) get into orbit, burn out of Kerbin's SOI (either prograde or retrograde on Kerbin's orbit depending if the planet is closer to Kerbol or further away). Once you're in orbit around Kerbol, match planes with the target then perform a hohmann transfer to the target.

The second method is wasteful.

The first method gets you escape velocity on a trajectory that is already on a hohmanns transfer. The only reason you'd even think about the second is if you wanted to compute a high energy transfer. (The intercept at x days after burn)

In which case you're still better using one of the pork c

hop plotters and burning from orbit.

Well that is my what I do for the particular problem of autostaging popping of fairings earlier than I want it to, however that was not the bug, that was just a side comment.

The problem I was drawing attention to is that with the test craft I provided, MechJeb's delta-v/TWR assumptions cause it miss the start when executing a manouver node.

Well, my thought for a fix would then be to act as if everything above the 'autostage stop at' is gone, in the delta v calculations in the node execution code, (I'll have to look at that area, I haven't looked in there yet).

Edit: Yeah, this seems to have been a to-do in that area of code, actually.

Edited by Reddot99

Well, my thought for a fix would then be to act as if everything above the 'autostage stop at' is gone, in the delta v calculations in the node execution code, (I'll have to look at that area, I haven't looked in there yet).

Edit: Yeah, this seems to have been a to-do in that area of code, actually.

I have already provided the code to fix this issue.

Where's it now? So I can put it into the one in the dropbox link that's on the front page.

I posted the required code change in this post. I am afraid I am not sufficently organised at the moment to make any changes that could be committed to source control/github or release any build code (however is someone would like to explain recommended procedures for contributing to MechJeb I would be delighted to do so). So for now I have just let you all know what I think the code change needs to be, so others can pick it up and roll it into some sort of official / supported build as appropriate.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but Mechjeb seems to break after leaving a craft / switching crafts. Seems like whichever windows were open at the time are no longer even in the sidelist. For me its usually Ascent autopilot, Orbit info and Surface info. Smartass never seems to be affected by this odd bug. Happens seemingly every time i leave a craft and come back to it, or switch crafts. Could it be because im using modulemanager to add MJ to command pods? Doesn't make much sense to me...

I got a problem with the:

Edit: My last build had a bug so use this one while I am on vacation:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/djj3ptsqm8efmtg/fBH1UxbBxK

Version, every time launching from the pad using the ascent autopilot the ship does a corkscrew like motion before heading skywards, it's a bit hard to explain but basically the second it fires the engines and removes the clamps it violently steers north, then west, then goes up basically does a mostly horizontal loop before going to space, multiple rocket designs, including kerbal-x, swapped back to official 2.0.9 and the problem is gone.

I got a problem with the:

Version, every time launching from the pad using the ascent autopilot the ship does a corkscrew like motion before heading skywards, it's a bit hard to explain but basically the second it fires the engines and removes the clamps it violently steers north, then west, then goes up basically does a mostly horizontal loop before going to space, multiple rocket designs, including kerbal-x, swapped back to official 2.0.9 and the problem is gone.

This happens to me as well. If I use SAS then the ship flies straight as an arrow. Turn on ascent control and it will dive to the horizon and sweep until a full circuit has been done then point straight up as though nothing was wrong. Often this problem goes away after staging. Sometimes if I have enough vertical velocity before activating the autopilot then the problem does not manifest in the first stage.

... every time launching from the pad using the ascent autopilot the ship does a corkscrew like motion before heading skywards, it's a bit hard to explain but basically the second it fires the engines and removes the clamps it violently steers north, then west, then goes up basically does a mostly horizontal loop before going to space, multiple rocket designs, including kerbal-x, swapped back to official 2.0.9 and the problem is gone.

Ah yes. You can tell if it's going to do this before you launch (thanks to AbuMaia for pointing this out): when you hit Engage Autopilot but before you ignite the engines, you'll see the controls in the lower-left corner peg your roll meter instead of leaving it more or less centered. When you see that, before igniting your engines, open Smart A.S.S if it isn't already open. It will probably say "OFF", but switch it to some other setting (e.g. "KILL ROT"), then switch it back to "OFF". When it switches back to "OFF", your roll control should revert to center, and then you can launch normally.

Edited by Gaius

Ah yes. You can tell if it's going to do this before you launch (thanks to AbuMaia for pointing this out): when you hit Engage Autopilot but before you ignite the engines, you'll see the controls in the lower-left corner peg your roll meter instead of leaving it more or less centered. When you see that, before igniting your engines, open Smart A.S.S if it isn't already open. Tt will probably say "OFF", but switch it to some other setting (e.g. "KILL ROT"), then switch it back to "OFF". When it switches back to "OFF", your roll control should revert to center, and then you can launch normally.

Awesome. thank you for a `tell` and a workaround!

Hey sarbian, because Modular Fuels now supports correct thrust scaling vs. Isp, I went and added support for, that in MechJeb. If ModuleEngineConfigs or ModuleHybridEngines are detected, it now scales thrust correctly when in atmo in the stats calculation, and I added a new column in stats, SLT, to show sea level TWR.

The changes are in MechJebModuleInfoItems.cs and FuelFlowSimulation.cs, which are zipped here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wl3nmfbylx6mgpg/MechJeb2_thrustscaling.zip

Note that if neither module is present, thrust won't be changed and SLT will be the same as TWR, so it's perfectly compatible with stock.

Hey sarbian, because Modular Fuels now supports correct thrust scaling vs. Isp, I went and added support for, that in MechJeb. If ModuleEngineConfigs or ModuleHybridEngines are detected, it now scales thrust correctly when in atmo in the stats calculation, and I added a new column in stats, SLT, to show sea level TWR.

The changes are in MechJebModuleInfoItems.cs and FuelFlowSimulation.cs, which are zipped here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wl3nmfbylx6mgpg/MechJeb2_thrustscaling.zip

Note that if neither module is present, thrust won't be changed and SLT will be the same as TWR, so it's perfectly compatible with stock.

Out of curiousity, how'd you get it to detect the presence of the modules? (also, dropbox says file's missing).