Best view?

Radiokopf

Hey,

Iam looking for some nice places to visit and maybe build a base. Now comming to this KSP is a bit short on remarkable geographical region. Or i just miss most of them. So what is you favourite place, not just the Planet but the exact location :)

As far as I've gotten in my .21 save, the view from the north pole "pyramid" on the Mun is awesome. The climb was difficult, as poor Enmore kept slipping in the ~60° slope, and the camera kept rotating.

When I finally got there and planted a flag, I could see the iluminated ground at my left with the Sun in the sky, and the dark (almost black) ground at my right, with Kerbin in the sky.

This is one of the reasons I love KSP. It reminds you what a wonderful universe we live in.

Mountains of Minmus surrounding the greenish plains are covered with huge boulders. It can be quite lovely up there if you turn on graphics to every possible maximum, something I do after landing because I can't maneuver stuff at low framerate.

That canyon on Dres is also nice.

Edited by lajoswinkler

Moho: The poles.

Eve: Large mountain at north (?) pole.

Kerbin: Mountains everywhere.

Mun: Lots of easter eggs, the poles, and there's a huge ravine opposite Kerbin. It also has a easter egg.

Minmus: The mountains. Also some easter eggs.

Duna: The poles, and there are some large differences in height.

Ike: There's an easter egg here.

Dres: The largest ravine in the solar system.

Jool: N/A.

Vall: An easter egg.

Laythe: Islands and lots of water.

Tylo: Two easter eggs.

Bop: Very mountainous.

Pol. Some hills, and low gravity.

You also can get a good view of Jool and its moons from any moon there.

The crater gullys on the mun are great places since 0.21. The terrain is really rugged:

VHir5St.jpg

I'm trying to find one above a Kethane deposit atm so I can place my munbase there, preferably with Kerbin low in the sky somewhere.

Hmm.. The best view I've seen so far is on Duna ( Mars analog ), If you know mount Olympus Mons in real life ( which is the tallest mountain in the solar system, found on mars , 22km * 14mi * which is three times taller than mountain Everest on earth! ) but in KSP, the mountain is 7 km high I guess.. I landed a base there but as far as I remember it was 6580m high. Here's a picture:

h52NfCt.jpg

Beautiful right? being really high above the ground is amazing!

Here are two of the better ones I've come across recently:

Laythe: Coordinates : 0, 8' 21" N / 162, 37', 33" W - Due to the way the two rotate, Jool is always at that point on the horizon if you land here.

a545.jpg

The Grand Canyon of the Mun: Coordinates: 0, 35' 11" N / 132, 24' 10" W - It is quite easy to find this visually from space, it looks like a big gash. Also its pretty easy to reach as it runs right along the equator.

j1k3.jpg

Here are two of the better ones I've come across recently:

Laythe: Coordinates : 0, 8' 21" N / 162, 37', 33" W - Due to the way the two rotate, Jool is always at that point on the horizon if you land here.

a545.jpg

Try landing far from equator, Jool and moons look much better when tilted.

Example, probably too extreme one but that's the best i have.

VrfvE92.png

Edited by El wonso

Here's a base I built on Pol back in 0.18. The mountains there are ridiculous.

NShPnRf.png

My recommendation is to drop a rover and drive until you find a suitable spot. Some of the most interesting terrain is also the most rugged. In the photo above, the suitable landing area was maybe 100m across.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.