Space Engineers Alpha

Levelord

Do you like building battleships and having them go at war?

Do you like realistic damage and the ability to repair damaged portions of your game?

Check out what these guys are making in Space Engineer. It looks pretty damn promising and I hope KSP will have similar repair ability as in this demo :D

Also, yay for more space games! It's been a decade since we had a good resurgence of space games.

HOW IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS SCIENCE WAS HE STANDING ON THAT THING IN SPAAAAAACE!!!!11!!

zODIAk. SORRY FOR THE CAPS!

Look like magnetic boots, as he can go eva, however the boots should work on any metallic structure.

Game look more like minecraft in space than KSP.

Its an mod who let your kerbals build small parts like re-position rcs trusters even build an small craft out of junk but I can not find it.

Edited by magnemoe

Hardenberg on the Limit Theory forums summed up Space Engineers. Quite an eye opener.

Well, here's the postmortem.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MarekRosa/20130807/197812/Marek_Rosa__dev_blog_Postmortem_Miner_Wars_2081.php

The comments section alone is worth the price of admission.

Now let me reiterate the debacle that was Miner Wars.

When it first cropped up (and asked for money, no less...), it was touted as a sandbox game with destructible terrain (asteroids), which you would mine for minerals, which you could sell for upgrades. While turning your holey rock into you personal swiss cheese of doom and boobytraps. Motherships supposedly were to serve as hubs / trading points, with clan/player owned motherships being touted as possible concept.

Then all of the sudden MMO talk started. More money was appropriated with the promise of MMO-style gameplay. A terrible, sub-par descent clone with barely destructible terrain (yes, it could be destroyed. No, like heck there wasn't enough ammo to make something worthwhile with that "feature".) and next to no sandbox elements was released to the public, with one of the most odious DRM systems I have encountered in what is technically an indie game. Critical voices were quickly quelled, posts deleted, accounts removed.

And now, Mr "I was right all along and only regret not firing people faster" comes around for a third time asking for money, without having delivered the MMO which he announced prior to this, and obviously being oblivious to said fact.

Not giving him any money is the least you can do.

And let me put it that way: Some people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them.

Link to Limit Theory's Space Engineers thread: http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1430

Even though I was excited about this at first, I think I'll pass.

• 2 weeks later...

If the engine works, I'll get it for that. Many games companies promise the "world". I've learnt to buy/invest in the current build only, and not expect more. The only recent ones I've been burnt on were Blockade Runner (Star Made is free and has more features already. :/ ) and Kinetic Void (glacial progress, and somewhat an unknown).

But anything that lets me build and/or destroy craft like that is worth it. Even if I have to use Cheat Engine to get past the game engine restrictions. :P

My interest would depend on the rest of the game. If it's just minecraft in space, then no. If it's one part of a larger game, than perhaps I would be interested. That said, Miner Wars in an of itself is not a shining resume to me from the developer. It's a neat enough game in it's own way, but things like the mission scripting ensured I never got past the demo. Looking a bit more at what the developer said about that game, and what people (and supposed ex-staff) are saying about the developer, I don't feel particularly inclined to go for it. One of the things I look for with new games is the community, in particular, the relationship between the gamers and the developer. When I see a community that seems to universally despise the developer of the game, I know something is up. It doesn't need to be all sunshine and rainbows, I expect far less, but I do expect more than universal hatred to inspire some confidence.

Hardenberg on the Limit Theory forums summed up Space Engineers. Quite an eye opener.

Link to Limit Theory's Space Engineers thread: http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1430

Even though I was excited about this at first, I think I'll pass.

Yeah, as much as I was curious about the game when I saw the video, I don't think I'm going to buy it as long as that Marek Rosa guy is in any sort of paid position on the dev team.

Since Landge's post ended up among last on the first page, I'll just repost the quote by Hardenberg if that's no issue:

Well, here's the postmortem.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Marek..._Wars_2081.php

The comments section alone is worth the price of admission.

Now let me reiterate the debacle that was Miner Wars.

When it first cropped up (and asked for money, no less...), it was touted as a sandbox game with destructible terrain (asteroids), which you would mine for minerals, which you could sell for upgrades. While turning your holey rock into you personal swiss cheese of doom and boobytraps. Motherships supposedly were to serve as hubs / trading points, with clan/player owned motherships being touted as possible concept.

Then all of the sudden MMO talk started. More money was appropriated with the promise of MMO-style gameplay. A terrible, sub-par descent clone with barely destructible terrain (yes, it could be destroyed. No, like heck there wasn't enough ammo to make something worthwhile with that "feature".) and next to no sandbox elements was released to the public, with one of the most odious DRM systems I have encountered in what is technically an indie game. Critical voices were quickly quelled, posts deleted, accounts removed.

And now, Mr "I was right all along and only regret not firing people faster" comes around for a third time asking for money, without having delivered the MMO which he announced prior to this, and obviously being oblivious to said fact.

Not giving him any money is the least you can do.

And let me put it that way: Some people are only alive because it's illegal to shoot them.

Construction looks like an exercise in watching grass grow, crashing into stuff looks like great fun. Hopefully they'll deal with the construction part over time...

Well i think its more realistic like that! Also the part of crashing stuff looks C O_O L the forst thing i tought of i Acerelate to ramming speed!!

• 1 month later...

This game is shaping up nicely. It has a symmetry mode for building much, much faster now and updates seem to be coming out every couple of weeks. I get the impression that, (past dev failures not withheld), that this is going to be a little bit special.

The Early Access release on steam has provided a load of funding, well over 100,000 copies sold apparently, so this should get the backing it needs to grow into something really cool.

There will be resource gathering, slow and painstaking building and quick and brutal battles. There will be 'blueprints' so you don't have to start from scratch every time you build something and all in all this has definitely got promise.

I'm looking forward to watching this grow, it's very different to KSP but has a similar overall feel, the sandbox, the building, the space, the multiplayer...Oh wait, did I mention that, it's going to be multiplayer, so huge co-owned bases and Deathstars will be possible, whole EVE style faction wars and a whole host of other exciting stuff.

Personally excited by this title, we shall, of course, see in time where it ends up. It will get more expensive with time though, just sayin'.

Inside my asteroid base

6102CA67137367BCEAB5EA22F4CCB254E63D1AFF

58B3CC720E3F7EAF14DAE107A3CA444E1FE4EA28

Outside my asteroid base

506E19900F52CAFA6913E5E90A69E98F59C00900

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.