Kerbal Planet Suffixes

DresCroffgrin

In real life, we have different suffixes for each of the planets for their apoapsis and periapsis. For example, apogee and perigee for the Earth, aphelion and perihelion for the Sun, and perijove and apojove for Jupiter.

Although they probably won't be implemented in-game, I think it would be cool if we, as a community came up with suffixes for the different planets to differentiate their orbits. This is what I was thinking of so far (I am not very good at this, I could use some help from you guys):

The Sun: apkerblion/perikerblion

Moho: apomoho/perimoho

Eve: apovee/perivee

Gilly: apogil/perigil

Kerbin: apokee/perikee

Mun: apomune/perimune

Minmus: apomin/perimin

Duna: apodune/peridune

Ike: ?

Dres: apodre/peridre

Jool: apojove/perijove

Laythe: aptheeoo/pertheeoo

Vall: apovall/perivall

Tylo: apotye/peritye

Bop: apoboop/periboop

Pol: apolen/perilen

Eeloo: apoloo/periloo

Sorry if someone else has already done this; I searched before I posted this and didn't find anything, but I could have easily missed it :).

EDIT: Changed the list of names with suggestions from the thread.

Edited by DresCroffgrin

For Kebin the most accepted ones are apokee/perikee, some people really really hate those names though.

None of the other orbits are used often enough to have commonly agreed upon unique names, I suppose if we go by how often the orbits are used the next two would be Kerbol orbit and Mun orbit. I would suggest:

Kerbol - apkerblion/perikerblion

Mun - apomune/perimune

While I'm not against the discussion, I agree with FITorion. Why learn 50 terms when we can instead just have the 2?

Personally I'd get more benefit from shortening them to "Apo" and "Peri"

"My Kerbin Apo is 80k but my Peri is 60k. I think my orbit's not gonna be around too much longer."

Well, real space programs do this sort of thing, so I see no reason for people being negative about this. Not like it harms anyone who's not interested in using these silly names for their orbits.

Granted, I don't have the mental capacity to memorize all of that stuff so I'll just stick with apoapsis and periapsis just like the negative nancies. But I can at least appreciate why people might like using these types of things to talk about the game >_>

Hmm.

In the real space programs, people are vain scientists. Use English. You can't invent a new word for each of the same thing (orbit) just because its parent (CoM) is another of the same kind of object (Center of Mass).

Or... use German! Kerbalraketeumlaufbahnperiapsisfahrtsgesellschaftskapitän.

You can't invent a new word for each of the same thing (orbit) just because its parent (CoM) is another of the same kind of object (Center of Mass).

Yes I can. Excuse me, I need to raise my apojove so I can get a lower peribop.

I have to say, when I started this thread, I imagined there would be some people who didn't care (which is fine), but I didn't expect so much outright backlash. No one is forcing anyone to adopt any terminology here; it's just a bunch of (awesome) nerds coming up with awesome names for the laughs :).

Either way, I've updated the OP with apoboop/periboop :). And how about apollen/perillen for Pol?

I for one think this is a great idea. I find Apomune easier to say than Apoapsis of Munar Orbit. As long as the names are clear (so you don't need a dictionary to know which celestial body is being orbited), it conveys more information than just "Apoapsis". Also, it sounds more sciency (and as a scientist, I do love awesome names).

"Jeb! You're Peridune pass is becoming dangerously similar to a lithobreaking maneuver!" is something I'd love to hear.

Also, as a reference: the real names.

Edit: also, maybe Apopol and Peripol sounds better? Both in pronounciation and clarity...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.