Is the Mun the new Mimnus?

wooaa

Depends on where you're landing. Minmus can be considered smooth if you land on the Salt flats/ice lacks/whatevs. and the Mun can be considered smooth if you land in a crater base. But I'd say minmus has more smoother surface than the Mun does simply bacause of the Salt flats/ice lakes

I was worried about the new Mun terrain as well when 21 first came out, but after a few landings I find it really isn't that bad. Just forced me to step-up my game a little.

I'm noticing that I'm watching my landing site almost as much as my altimeter and navball. If I notice I'm going down into some really rough stuff then I start shifting.

Yeah, the Mun definitely has more dynamic terrain, whereas Minmus has basically land that's either the low salt flats, as Rage097 said, or there's the higher up plateaus. The difference between these two is fairly major, but if you're staying on either one or the other, it's more or less perfectly flat in most parts.

However, the Mun has terrain that has gotten its art pass in the last update, so it's much more dynamic no matter where you go. Personally, I love driving on the new Mun, it's a very engaging and fun experience.

I would respectfully disagree with that last wholeheartedly. I love the new Mun surface. It adds a new dimension to my Munar missions, now I send an advance craft to scout the area and select a good landing site by planting a flag. Then I send my main mission with base modules or w/e and aim for the flag. It's way more fun than just throwing down bases wherever.

It's certainly similar, now. My Minimus landings encountered hills and tilted landing sites, and so have my recent Mun missions. I've had to abort landings that have ended up on 45 degree slopes, rovers overturn on hills, and one of my bases had to be decommissioned because it was in the middle of a goddamn crater, and inaccessible by rover.

I don't mind the new craters so much. It's these types I'm referring to.

XCdHmOel.png

I actually landed my Munar base safely at the bottom and planted a flag. I since relocated to the landing site above on the left. There's supposed to be an anomaly in the area but I never could find it.

The debris field is from one of my refueling trucks. I drove it off the edge after it was emptied of fuel, filling up my base. Quite a spectacular crash I might add.

I know it's just a representation but I wonder what the real angle of repose would be given the gravity of Mun?

Having just a few of these would make them unique. But if you go to the Mun's South polar region, they are all over the place. Making them no longer unique IMHO.

Edit: Added link to angle of repose.

Edited by Landge

I don't mind the new craters so much. It's these types I'm referring to.

-Snip-

I actually landed my Munar base safely at the bottom and planted a flag. I since relocated to the landing site above on the left. There's supposed to be an anomaly in the area but I never could find it.

The debris field is from one of my refueling trucks. I drove it off the edge after it was emptied of fuel, filling up my base. Quite a spectacular crash I might add.

I know it's just a representation but I wonder what the real angle of repose would be given the gravity of Mun?

Having just a few of these would make them unique. But if you go to the Mun's South polar region, they are all over the place. Making them no longer unique IMHO.

Well, the southern pole has always had deep wholes like that. The one you are talking about (with the munolith) was particularly deep last time I checked. In either case, many of the monoliths have been hidden underground with the new terrain and so I hope they are brought back up to the surface.

Well, the southern pole has always had deep wholes like that. The one you are talking about (with the munolith) was particularly deep last time I checked. In either case, many of the monoliths have been hidden underground with the new terrain and so I hope they are brought back up to the surface.

I've been to that one before the new rover wheels came out. I could drive my rover up and down the sides of that crater. As steep as it was, it wasn't as steep as they are now.

(See pic #11 in Mission album)

Edited by Landge

Two things in regards to the Munar surface debate:

1) Maria. They're not there right now, and they would make quite a nice feature.

2) The craters? It's fine if there are tons of them, but they need better generation coding: They need a reasonable, *continuous* distribution of sizes, not just a selection of one of a few discrete values. Also, ideally there would be an 'age' variable: new craters are crater-shaped, but older craters subside into mere depressions.

Visited that one to test a Mohole explorer, and found the anomaly is underground.

ttZkder.png

I'm happy with Minmus how it its, its smooth hills contrast nicely to the more jagged Mun's surface, it's a very different formation.

But it would be nice to have the Mun a bit brighter.

Edited by Tw1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.