how you build

Dimetime35c

First I think off an mission, now for something simple like an rover on Mun I would first test the rover on kerbin, typically by jumping over the launchpad.

Then add an lander, I typically overdo this and made an lander who can pick up the rover an move it back to orbit. Waste as no rover have last so long :)

Next an launcher, an injection and transfer stage who was an drop tank for the lander with 1200 m/s, next an launcher, orange tank with pancake and mainsail, extra tank on top.

however this only had 2900 m/s dV so I added two copies of it as side boosters with crossfeed, added two solid boosters to get better twr.

Now for something more complex like my 100 ton grand tour I spent over a week testing the five landers, then adjusting the main ship so it should have enough dV and be stable during the entire trip. The launcher was the easy part.

1. build random contraption that could resemble a station with lots of imagination

2. put it on the launchpad to see whether it falls apart (find failed connections)

3. attach boosters

4. test whether it flies

5. attach more boosters

6. fly it straight up

7. notice you forgot the mechjeb device

8. revert flight to assembly

9. add mechjeb

10. have mechjeb get it into orbit

11. wonder what to do now

12. crash it into kerbin, mun, or the sun

13. repeat

I will go a bit more in depth.

I design my payload first, acording to some preset guidelines. I apply the Service module / Lander module for all bodies. Usually two stage lander module as well. My service module has to have enough "resources" for my Kerbals to survive. This is, every Hitchiker has 360 kerb-days of resources. Since a round trip to Duna takes about 90 days, a hithiker can comfortably house three or four Kerbs to Duna

My next step after the Service/lander modules comes the transfer stage. This can be as simple as a grey tank with a skipper for Mun/Minmus, or as complex as multiple LV series engines. This stage is Usually carried to orbit first if it is anything but a Mun/Minmus mission.

My last step I pick from relatively simple Two stage launchers (Usually 5 mainsails radially feeding a central stage of Mainsail)

Well I build differently depending on what building im in.

In the VAB I normally think out a mission as Im sticking parts on a command module ( in other words I think about what the mission needs and build at the same time) and it works 85% of the time.

For the SPH I normally make a craft that is designed for its purpose and looks logical, then put (proto) at the end of its name to designate it as a prototype. Then six hours later after hundreds of test flight and edits, if it does its job the proto comes of and away to lathye!

If not DELETE!

I start with a goal oriented or mission oriented build (Roughly), dabble around in the VAB, go for a working platform, test some possibilities. then, I revise the design for better all around things like aerodynamics, functionality I can use, functionality I can take away. Esthetics generally are last. Try to make things smaller, tighter, lighter, cleaner if possible. Make use of unconventional space for necessary things and generally be creative over all and have fun doing it. Go through some revisions getting it launched...Take what I've learned and build / revise forward until it does work...Sit back and smile (Since I have time) while I wait...and wait...for my gravity turn marks...design evolves, save a good one to the ships directory, delete the failures that got me there.

I like to have projects on the go, such as building a space station, or visiting a certain place. So i'll come up with a mission plan for that objective, and plan out what launches I need to accomplish that and in what order. If I need to design a new vehicle for the mission I'll generally plan it offline in a spreadsheet so that it should hit the required ÃŽâ€V. There might be a bit of testing that needs to get built into the mission plan, especially if it's a manned ship. It's all about preparation.

Then when I'm completely prepared I fly the missions, cock them up massively, and have to shoot from the hip with a whole load of rescue missions to try and salvage something from the mess.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.