That moment when Dres suddenly exists

Rage097

So. I was setting up a Jool manuver node and it all checked out. I switched away from map view and started my burn after a bit. Now my vehicle had a center of mass that was not quite inline with the center of thrust. So I derped a bit. I timewarped and suddenly Dres came into view...I switched back to map view and found I had deviated from my desired course because

A) I had a vehicle that was difficult to stay on target.

B)I wasn't watching mapview because reasons.

C) I'm a derp.

So I collided with Dres and it forcivley reminded me of its existence. I should try to stop forgetting it's there.

Darn one in a million chances!

That's great...in terms of slim chance encounters it reminds me of how I burned into a neat Kerbin intercept trajectory from Duna, only for the game to tell me that it would end prematurely due to, of all things, a collision with the Mun. As regards the shadowy non-existence of Dres, maybe I really should send a real mission to it one day. Perhaps. Maybe.

Almost in the same vein, I managed to collide with Bop on my way to Jool once. Same sort of thing, I was time warping along, nothing registered and suddenly Bop comes racing out of the dark. I managed to switch off time warp before the collision, but despite the weak gravity I didn't have the TWR necessary to avoid a collision when It stopped time warp at something like 100km up and 2,000m/sec toward the darned moon (I was going to atmosphere break around Jool).

Isn't Dress highly inclined? I don't see how this is even remotely likely. Winning two national lotteries in a row seems more likely than this.

As I said, I was derping my manuver, and luck was not on my side. Dres happened to be in the correct position to interfere with Jool transit.

One in a billion chance. I hate my luck xD

My first ship to Jool arrived last night carrying 5 Kethane/Mapsat satellites. Upon getting my Laythe encounter I detached the first probe and preceded to adjust a manuever node to stop my after encounter orbit from hitting Jool. I got an encounter with Vall with the maneuver, performed the burn and then switched to the probe and put it in Laythe orbit.

Then I noticed me main ship was gone. I reloaded the quicksave I did right after the maneuver. Turns out I saved the return orbit from hitting Jool but changed my periapsis 10 minutes from the maneuver to 60km. I didn't expect Jool to be there....

I hate Dres!! I don't quick save or delete any debris or failed missions on my "Reality" save file so I built a "sled" that basically had a 1440 tank on either side and then 3 atomic engines behind each one.. then I docked this lander I made that can land in atmosphere or Mun etc, THEN I sent Bill, Gerble, & Caldin up in my main ship (capable of Eve or Duna with much more fuel left) and I docked that to the lander which was docked to the sled.. then I filled all the tanks to max (about 5-6000 liquid fuel) and had the sled carry them to a Dres interaction.. undocked and the ship got an encounter... I didn't know that it was impossibly small and not strong enough to pull me in. I came in way to fast and couldn't manage to retro to at least an orbit. Now those three are stuck floating around deep space with no fuel so I just renamed it to debris so im not reminded everytime I visit the space center. It sucks because I retire them after a certain number of missions and let them stay in my space station forever.. after 5 successful Mun missions and 6 Minmus missions to deactivate old landers and rescue landers I decided Bill could retire but accidentily sent him up in the lander.... RIP Bill!

I had put some ships in parking orbit around Laythe in order to fiddle with the next incoming ship. I hit timewarp, and off in the distance I see one of my ships that was "supposedly" parked in a safe orbit around Laythe just running off toward the sun! I reloaded a quicksave, tried again, and sure enough, THERE IT GOES!

Turns out even though I wasn't getting any kind of encounter, it was close enough to Vall to throw it just far enough out of orbit to get a Jool gravity assist to fling it off into deep space. WHOOPS

The Jool system is the master of accidentally [celestial body here] If you mess up ONCE you'll get thrown into a game of tennis between Jool and all of its moons.

Laythe: GUYS!! I found a ship!!! Let's play tennis!!!

Jool: YAYYYYY!!!!

Vall: I like tennis :>

Tylo: *grumble*

Bop: I hope I'm not too small...

Pol: I'm too small and too far away :<

About the Dress impact, I have notced in some situations that SOI changes don't always show up.

Sometimes only the later SOI change show up.

This shows the situation.

iC4o0yX.png

Yes I will pass 30 km from Minmus, mechjeb does correct burns to set adjust this, however only the later Mun intercept shows up.

Neither Mechjeb or the alarm clock can catch an SOI change for Minmus, but SOI changed then it should, it just did not showed on map before it suddenly changed.

I would not impact Mun as Minmus changed my orbit around Kerbin, so the image above show an situation with no Minmus.

This should be easy to replicate as its less than a day after starting an new game, I launched the ship into LKO, went to Mun then back to LKO to refuel and went to Minmus.

I did run into something similar on the same grand tour. I was doing an Laythe direct aerobrake where I would meet Laythe head on requiring an 5000 m/s aerobrake to get into an high orbit.

I knew I was passing close to Tylo but map did not indicate I would get inside its SOI, however sudely the map did something strange, guess I passed trough Tylo SOI in high warp and my Pe to Laythe changed so I needed an 80 m/s correction to get it right again, this was around Vall orbit.

My guess is that the game ignore lesser SOI changes if the following one is larger.

Rage097: Was you aiming for an very close encounter with Jool as in impact or aerobrake attitude? I so I wonder if the Dress intercept would show up on the map at all.

About the Dress impact, I have notced in some situations that SOI changes don't always show up.

Sometimes only the later SOI change show up.

-snip-

Yes I will pass 30 km from Minmus, mechjeb does correct burns to set adjust this, however only the later Mun intercept shows up.

Neither Mechjeb or the alarm clock can catch an SOI change for Minmus, but SOI changed then it should, it just did not showed on map before it suddenly changed.

This happened to me a while back. I had set in up manually, and had an encounter, then it vanished. It was frustrating. I was not sure whether to do a burn, or just wait. I waited, and the mission was successful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.