BSC - Ravenspear Mk. 1 - And the winner is...

Xeldrak

Hay Xeldrak quick question if I can get some pictures of my plane up by Monday will I be in the running. P.S I'm the third post on the first page.

Also note to anyone who cares. If you want to be a test pilot for Aurora aero tech download my plane and test fly it so I can get some more feed back other then my own. then P,M me what you think.

Edit: Never mind Xeldrak I was able to pull off some pics on a really crappy laptop. ( laptop crashed right after last pic)

Edited by Tidus Klein

@Tidus Klein: Monday should be okay - forum allways confuses me. I'd love to see the forum work on UTC without "today" and "yesterday" in it's timestamps. On a sidenote: please do not reserve a post and later upgrade it to a submission. When your submission is ready, just post it in a new post - this way I only have to look at the new, unread posts for new submission.

@Rhomphaia: Yeah, I usually try to mix it up, but because of the mishap during the Aeris challenge I decided to get the Ravenspear Mk1 out of the way. The next challenge will most likely play out in the VAB.

As I mentioned in an edit of my original post, my Ravenspear Mk1 replacement design was developed simultaneously with a concept for the Mk2, which currently does not exist in KSP. I took the liberty of creating an SSTO spaceplane for the Mk2, for which the Mk1 I designed is considered to be a trainer craft.

I decided it might interest some of you to see my Mk2 concept. Please note that this post is not a replacement for my Mk1 entry; it is merely some additional background information about my design process.

Ravenspear Mk2 Concept:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The Mun visitation and free return trajectory are depicted above as a demonstration of the ease of usage and plenitude of fuel.

Edited by sploden

I present you my entry, the ChemRock Draco.

ZapW2iN.jpg?1

I had some problems comming up with a submission for this challenge. Earlier designs were.....problematic. But (thx to HueHue) while looking up the Planes for the inspirational pictures, I read about the MiG-25 Foxbat - and after watching a short documentary about it, I knew what I wanted. Like the MiG-25, I went for a very powerfull engine (in my case three turbo-jets) and didn't care about range. After some testing and tuning, I fear the only resemblence the Draco holds with the Foxbat are the two large vertical stabilizers and the shoulder mounted wings. Since it looks more like a Draken from above with its big delta wings, I decided to call it Draco as a small homage to the Saab aircraft. I also added a description and some flavour-text to the description window - I think thats a sign of a thoroughly built KSP craft.

Now, the triple-engine setup has some advantages, you can deactive the outer or the inner engines by action groups and change your Intake/Engine ratio. This way you can take the Draco to the outer edges of the atmosphere by flying on a single engine, fed by three ram-intakes without the danger of a asymetrical flameout. Of course the plane has a cockpit ladder with a dedicated action group :D

I added a pair of canards, so the plane hat a little agility in lower atmosphere. It's still quite sluggish, but I think thats fine - it wasn't built for low atmosphere flight.

True to it's soviet role model, it's a rugged plane with only 33 parts and no frills. Fully tanked, it holds 900 units of fuel and weighs 11.53 tons. No partclipping whatsoever, as usual.

..and I dearly hope, that they give the Mk2 Cockpit a usable interior in the next update. Sadly, IVA flight are impossible with this cockpit.

Download the CR Draco

>>HERE<<

Edited by Xeldrak

I am entering this, a very simple craft named Ravenspear Mk1 (Mk4 in one of the screenshots, this was due to the number of iterations I went through to get to this design but the craft file is named Ravenspear Mk1), which is carefully balanced, functions well and can easily be improved in various ways by student pilots! The craft is intended to look cool and function well but looks a bit like a trainer aircraft so that someone new to KSP can easily improve performance and looks and gain encouragement from improving on the design.

• The power to weight ratio is high allowing lift off and climb at 1/3 throttle and landing at 2/15ths throttle.
  • A single turbo jet makes flame outs easy to handle, it toggles on/off as group 1.
  • The single radial ram scoop intake performs well enough to allow the craft to cruise at 1000 m/s at 17500m altitude and can easily be supplemented by an additional pair above the tail plane for improved maximum altitude and speed.
  • The assymetric communotron balances a pilot ladder which extends and retracts as group 2.
  • The communotron included comes ready for the addition of science packages by the user and is extended when the undercarriage is activated using G and by group 3.
  • A large battery charged by the engine allows uninterrupted data transmissions and ensures adequate power for the reaction wheel.
  • The tail plane provides effective control at all altitudes and keeps the craft intrinsically stable as the fuel drains so it remains easy to fly.
  • The landing gear runs straight and true and yet there is enough vertical flexion that the craft can land and bounce at up to -10m/s vertical drop rate without structural failure.
  • The reaction wheel torque to craft mass ratio is also high which means the craft is responsive to controls and corrects craft heading rapidly when the SAS is active, which makes a bouncy landing on rough terrain easier to survive.

Ravenspear Mk1 craft file zip.

Edited by boolybooly

Introducing: The Chickadeecutlass Mk1

Features:

• Gee-whiz fighter jet appearance!
  • Twin engines for high power!
  • Plenty of intakes for high altitude flight!
  • Nose antenna for aesthetics!
  • Functioning cockpit ladder!
  • Takes off easily before the end of the runway!

The Chickadeecutlass Mk1 is the perfect replacement for the Ravenspear Mk1.

O7PuU1U.png

It has plenty of fuel and will reach speeds in excess of 1400 m/s. At high altitude, it remains very stable, and provides quite a bit of forgiveness when an engine flames out -- just cut the throttle with X and slowly throttle back up, while trying to hold your heading. The Chickadeecutlass glides like a pro and is very easy to land. Give it a spin!

Action Groups

1: Toggle Ladder

2: Toggle nose antenna (for cool appearance!)

Download:

http://www./?0vbox6qquon3d8o

Edited by GusTurbo

X-3 Peregrine

The X-3 Peregrine is equipped with three state of the art turbojets that give this puppy a nice top speed somewhere over 2000 (i got tired and i stopped the flight :)). it hits this speed at a nice 33,000m then the engines cut out it will continue to go up to were i got it to was 114,000m above Kerbin. I easily full half way around Kerbin with fuel to spare and that was while trying to get photos and get its top speed. Not to mention that it can take off on its own all you have to do is turn on the engines. It does all that with only 36 parts. I hope you like it :).

Download

1DnVHCj.png

Name: ATX-3 'Raven'

(Thank you, GusTurbo!)

It's essentially a stripped-down version of ARX-3 'Vulture' SSTO aimed for beginner or intermediate pilot training.

This 16.5t trainer is capable of extreme tail strike-free STOL, Mach 3+ cruising and comes with spin recovery chute and unmanned probe command pod.

It's large wing area combined with enlarged V-tail makes this trainer very maneuverable.

While it's not flame-out proof and lacks Stabojet design, this was purely intentional as I think new comers should learn how to deal with asymmetric flame-out (cut throttle, rapid diving, etc).

For the worst case scenario, it has spin recovery chute as backup.

To meet all the needs of those dare-devil pilots who do not want to risk a pilot's life, unmanned probe pod is installed.

All in all, the ATX-3 will serve beginners well as replacement for Ravenspear Mk. 1.

List of design changes:

-Dual turbojet engines in place of basic jet engines

-Removed body flap, enlarged V-tail

-Secondary landing gear installed (tail strike-free)

-Spin recovery chute with additional reaction wheel

-Probe body moved to more obvious position

-Central body now functions as pure structural fuselage (no longer contains fuel)

Edited by ssTALONps

KermaJet Aviation took the Ravenspear Mk1 out for a flight. The plane itself is nimble and balanced with handling, but its most striking feature is having two different kinds of engines. Two turbojets and one turbofan. While the Ravenspear did have good takeoff ability, the turbofan engine quickly became unnecessary at higher altitudes. The engine was turned off as the Ravenspear was put into high speed, high altitude operation. Due to the intake design, the Ravenspear could not reach its full potential.

KermaJet RS1M (Download Here)

RS1M%20front.png

RS1M is a KermaJet modified version of the Ravenspear. The central engine and adapter are removed, with an aerodynamic cap placed in its stead. The winglets and engines are shifted forward to help rebalance weight, the intakes are upgraded to Ram-Air scoops, and the ladder is now in a more accessible location to the pilot.

RS1M%20at%20speed.png

The RS1M can reach higher altitudes and fly faster than the original design. Note, however, that the pilot must take caution with aerial maneuvers, as the Ravenspear design will always be prone to flatspinning on high angles of attack. This is a design limitation of the plane.

KermaJet finds the plane's design of interest for future SSTO space planes, and suggests the RS1M as a starting point.

Edited by Blaster
Forgot teh craft file link again

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.