BSC - Ravenspear Mk. 1 - And the winner is...

Xeldrak

It's a stock plane replacement - a lot of things matter more than G-loading, guys :P

I didn't want to be bias with the data so I just put the information that anyone could test. There isn't that many thing that I can test quantitatively other than maybe top speed.

How does that G-loading value counted? (or come up with?)

I fly the plane to 3km and then start flying straight down. I would then start pulling up at 1km a see the highest Gs I get on an accelerometer. The data from the data menu would usually be the highest Gs I get, but I would replace that value if I get a higher reading on the accelerometer.

Just a thought:

I think zekes's jet is the overall best designed plane, hands down,( the current polling reflects this.) with a nod to the Super Spear the C-7B and the BSC chickadectlass MK1 but frankly all of the aformenchened craft would be very very difficult for a noob to make. If this is going to be a stock plane don't you think a noob should be able to recreate it without learning computer programing?

Just a thought:

I think zekes's jet is the overall best designed plane, hands down,( the current polling reflects this.) with a nod to the Super Spear the C-7B and the BSC chickadectlass MK1 but frankly all of the aformenchened craft would be very very difficult for a noob to make. If this is going to be a stock plane don't you think a noob should be able to recreate it without learning computer programing?

I don't know, but 103 parts seems a little bit too much for a newbie craft. For simplicity in replicating, Xeldrak's Draco is probably the best.

Best reason the FRAK is winning is the insane wing loading (Giggle got 16G's Out of it at 3000m!)

This is a pic from a re-entry from suborbital jump... i think i now have fastest low altitude speed record...

Scary because those were tall mountains... almost crashed :D pullout was at 400m/s.

XnEaQ5o.png

1B6uy1N.png

g8YL5aT.png

Is it too late to post my entry?

I have a craft that even zekes likes. It is one of the most stable planes I've ever seen and, with a little trim, flies beautifully.

Unfortunately, you missed it by about 10 hours...

Unfortunately, you missed it by about 10 hours...

It could still contend with the FRAK. It might even be able to beat it. Do you know what plane I'm referring to?

Also, perhaps a new challenger could enter the ring?

EDIT: What's 10 hours among friends?

Edited by FallingIntoBlack

Ah, time to enforce national stereotypes: I'm german. *looks at his pocketwatch* And ten hours among friends....are ten hours.

But no, seriously: I would have to change the overview collage again and restart the poll again. I'll be happy to see your entry in the next BSC-challenge, but I fear this boat has sailed.

Edited by Xeldrak

Ah, time to enforce national stereotypes: I'm german. *looks at his pocketwatch* And then hours among friends....are ten hours.

But no, seriously: I would have to change the overview collage again and restart the poll again. I'll be happy to see your entry in the next BSC-challenge, but I fear this boat has sailed.

Looking forward to the next BSC challenge. Anyways, about this one, as the old saying goes, "you can't win 'em all."

EDIT: Speaking of which, what's the next BSC challenge?

Edited by FallingIntoBlack

Hey Bro, I was late too and I already HAD a design to submit XD. Rules are rules :P

Edit: For those who don't know a stereotype about Cubans (I am one), here is one. We are always at least thirty minutes late someplace. In fact if you tell us to be at your house by 7:00 PM it means that's when we leave the house, no matter how far or near we are.

Ah, time to enforce national stereotypes: I'm german. *looks at his pocketwatch* And ten hours among friends....are ten hours.

Yeah, im part German too, and no matter what i arrive precicely 10 minutes before i need to. PRECICELY.

...but back on topic...

im winning with 14, brobel and sploden are tied at two :P guess my plane is pretty good.

Wow, what a lineup! I have to confess I only spent a few minutes with each plane, so if I didn't fully appreciate them I apologise. Since this is a stock craft contest, I skipped planes with partclipped intake spam and those that were micro-mini. Some general comments:

- Way less wheelbarrowing then last time! Most planes still will dive in level flight though.

- Creative landing gear setups!

- Ravenspears shouldn't have *great* handling, but I kind of wanted it anyhow...

- I kind of wanted to vote for many of them, hope someone else voted for my alternatives!

by Desc OK Intakes Simple parts Wheelbarrow? No spinout Total
Multi Jet OK Clip Looks good Gentle climb I like handling
Kermajet Blaster 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 7 Unstable without ASPS, otherwise real nice!
Ravenspear boolybooly 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 5 I kinda wanted a multiengine delta. Good otherwise
Nighthawk Captain Sierra 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 6 Looks promising, is it still stable when fuel depleted?
Super Spear FlandersNed 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 6 Pitch control sets off corkscrew? Bold style though!
C-7B Giggleplex 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 7 If it weren't for hacked intakes I could love this
Chickadeecutlas GusTurbo 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 Great silhouette, spongy handling tho
RS Ultra mcirish 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 6 Intakes so far forward makes handling slipslidey
Speed Fury Mesklin 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 Nice handling, partclipping borderline, wish it had multijets
RS1M McLuckypants 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 Like the look, handling is perky and almost unstable. Lots of clip.
Eaglehammer Rhomphaia 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 8 Compact, pretty nice!
RS Mk1.1 Sirine 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 6 Too much control authority, not enough stability. Interesting landing gear though!
RS Mk1 Improved Sploden 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 Wow. Lotta motor, little plane. Great handling, reasonable control surface strutting for stock.
ATX-3 Raven ssTALONps 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 8 Surprisingly good for looking a bit sandwich like
CR Draco Xeldrak 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 8 Very sluggish, which is ok. Gear very far back. Perfect example of stock craft otherwise!

Gotta vote for Sploden, this time around at least!

Wow, what a lineup! I have to confess I only spent a few minutes with each plane, so if I didn't fully appreciate them I apologise. Since this is a stock craft contest, I skipped planes with partclipped intake spam and those that were micro-mini. Some general comments:

- Way less wheelbarrowing then last time! Most planes still will dive in level flight though.

- Creative landing gear setups!

- Ravenspears shouldn't have *great* handling, but I kind of wanted it anyhow...

- I kind of wanted to vote for many of them, hope someone else voted for my alternatives!

by Desc OK Intakes Simple parts Wheelbarrow? No spinout Total
Multi Jet OK Clip Looks good Gentle climb I like handling
Kermajet Blaster 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 7 Unstable without ASPS, otherwise real nice!
Ravenspear boolybooly 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 5 I kinda wanted a multiengine delta. Good otherwise
Nighthawk Captain Sierra 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 6 Looks promising, is it still stable when fuel depleted?
Super Spear FlandersNed 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 6 Pitch control sets off corkscrew? Bold style though!
C-7B Giggleplex 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 7 If it weren't for hacked intakes I could love this
Chickadeecutlas GusTurbo 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 Great silhouette, spongy handling tho
RS Ultra mcirish 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 6 Intakes so far forward makes handling slipslidey
Speed Fury Mesklin 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 Nice handling, partclipping borderline, wish it had multijets
RS1M McLuckypants 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 Like the look, handling is perky and almost unstable. Lots of clip.
Eaglehammer Rhomphaia 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 8 Compact, pretty nice!
RS Mk1.1 Sirine 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 6 Too much control authority, not enough stability. Interesting landing gear though!
RS Mk1 Improved Sploden 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 Wow. Lotta motor, little plane. Great handling, reasonable control surface strutting for stock.
ATX-3 Raven ssTALONps 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 8 Surprisingly good for looking a bit sandwich like
CR Draco Xeldrak 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 8 Very sluggish, which is ok. Gear very far back. Perfect example of stock craft otherwise!

Gotta vote for Sploden, this time around at least!

...mine's not intake spam, technically. Each intake is on its own mount attached to the wing (i think), in a way that looks elegant but effective.

I tested all of them briefly. I voted for Giggleplex's C-7B. Great handling, appropriate size, has no glaring faults, looks great. I'll do in-depth reviews of the semifinalists rather than all of the entries.

I'm a little disturbed to see 14 votes going to the FRAK-1. Although it is a cool plane, it is not at all suited to be a stock craft. Stock crafts must be easy to fly with a keyboard, must have low part counts, must use minimal part clipping if any, must look good, must strike a certain balance... basically, must be believable to some degree. Being able to pull 16 Gs while diving from 3000 meters is a negative, not a positive.

Regarding part clipping, I do think it is entirely appropriate for the Ravenspear line to have some, since the current stock versions already do.

Lastly, I disqualified a few of the planes from consideration because they pull very slightly to the left or right. Perhaps I should not have. I had this problem, and I think I found a workaround. Whenever I am choosing a part that will need symmetry, I turn on symmetry before selecting that part. If I have to move that part after placing it, I make sure symmetry is on before picking it up and moving it. If I ever deviate from this accidentally, I throw away the part and start over. Hopefully this is fixed in 0.22.

Edited by sploden

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.