[1.02] KW Rocketry v2.7 Available - 1.02 Compatibility! - 16/05/2015

Kickasskyle

I had a bit of a bug in between two versions, right now i've only seen it in the VAB not sure if any ships in space were affected but here it is:

SA4-LFT (the long 1.25m tank) on top of a Wildcat V, the thrusters have all shifted about a meter into the tank since the previous version. Not quite sure what caused this, but the craft was from early september before the recently updated version...

This is probably just caused by re-exported bits and bobs, I'm assuming its fine if you just reposition the appropriate parts?

Great MOD!!! It's been my main choice for building since I started playing KSP.

One quick question though and I apologize if its been asked before. Why did you use the small attachment nodes on 2.5m and 3.5m parts? I have a problem with rockets breaking apart (especially RCS tanks) even with struts that in the past when away when I increased the node size.

Quad RCS does not define 'up' in the node_attach. That's breaking my existing craft files and existing vessels in space. (the RCS parts are rotated 90 degrees)

Same for ullage motors. Not sure about other parts.

Edited by Starwaster

The net effect that the top would start trying to shift left while the bottom was still pushing right and the rocket bends in half.

That's typical with a bendy rocket and the control locus away from the center of mass.

This is probably just caused by re-exported bits and bobs, I'm assuming its fine if you just reposition the appropriate parts?

Yup, easily moved into normal position. It's just a bit surprising when you open the file ;)

Great MOD!!! It's been my main choice for building since I started playing KSP.

One quick question though and I apologize if its been asked before. Why did you use the small attachment nodes on 2.5m and 3.5m parts? I have a problem with rockets breaking apart (especially RCS tanks) even with struts that in the past when away when I increased the node size.

Thats actually a myth, node size has no effect on the effectiveness of the connection, anecdotal evidence aside I'm actually going to change them for FAR compatibility at the next possible time.

Smaller parts will always be the weakest in the structure of your rocket stack since they weigh less making parts more inclined to bend.

Quad RCS does not define 'up' in the node_attach. That's breaking my existing craft files and existing vessels in space. (the RCS parts are rotated 90 degrees)

Same for ullage motors. Not sure about other parts.

Thats due to them being re-exported from version 2.4 -> 2.5. the orientation of the model changed and with it the attachment nodes in the cfg which leaves you what you see now, to fix your craft files just load them up and reposition and place the parts again.

Thats due to them being re-exported from version 2.4 -> 2.5. the orientation of the model changed and with it the attachment nodes in the cfg which leaves you what you see now, to fix your craft files just load them up and reposition and place the parts again.

So existing ships in my save are screwed?

Replace in VAB, save craft file. Note rotations and positions in .craft file, copy them over to the correct blocks in the sfs file.

I'll just go back to the old models where I have to. Unless there's maybe a rotation command to use with MODEL nodes...

Thats actually a myth, node size has no effect on the effectiveness of the connection, anecdotal evidence aside I'm actually going to change them for FAR compatibility at the next possible time.

Not the effectiveness of the connection actually, but effectiveness of shielding effect from the air flow...

Ok Kyle, check this out:

These changes to the config file for the quad RCS will preserve existing craft files and existing save files. VAB placement not

MODEL
{
model = KWRocketry/Parts/RCS/KWrcsQuad/KW_RCS_1mBlock
rotation = 0, 270, 0
}

scale = 1.0

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0

Model needs to be inside a MODEL node for rotation to work.

Rotation by 270 means that not only existing craft files but ships in existing save files are not broken; their RCS pods will be correctly positioned.

Specifying the X vector as up is necessary after rotation to guarantee correct placement in the editor.

Haven't tried the other RCS pod yet but assuming if its model orientation changed identically then the above should work for it too. And the ullage motor?

Edit: correction. the above does what I said, but craft / save files that anyone made post 2.5 get affected the way pre-2.5 are. still a net gain IMHO but it is my opinion.

Edited by Starwaster

Kyle, I figured out what KW is missing that is keeping it from being superior to Novapunch in every way, SAS. your vehicles are so big, we need big torque to control them. That and control surfaces. We get those, I have no further need for B9 or NP.

I disagree. I believe that KW and NP fills out each their own, if overlapping in some places, niche. I use KW and NP side by side, and I can make a lot of things that I wouldn't be able to with only one of the mods. Also, about B9, are you using it for SAS only? It's a spaceplane mod, so it ought to be used for completely different purposes than KW. Shuttles and SSTO's, for example.

Kyle, I figured out what KW is missing that is keeping it from being superior to Novapunch in every way, SAS. your vehicles are so big, we need big torque to control them. That and control surfaces. We get those, I have no further need for B9 or NP.

NP's SAS is just fine as it is low profile.

for more wings and control surfs go get TV aerospace.

A rocket without control is just a firwork lit by your dad in your back garden. There is more to a rocket than just fuel and engines.

Gimbals.

B9 has big tail planes. These often end up as the control fins on some of my larger rockets.

NP has slim, powerful SAS, but it also has a ton of stuff I don't need. For what I am concerned, being able to control a super heavy launch vehicle is a pretty important part of building one.

Also bug report:

The Titan T1 gimballing is so strong it tries to shake my rockets apart (even with a single one on a single stack). I notice this problem on all large motors. What I think is going on is the gimbal force is a function of deflection angle and thrust. To minimize destructive potential while maintaining power, reduce the gimball angle limit some and it should be fine. With that much thrust, a half degree is probably more than enough.

What I do is make two copies of what part I want, I place one copy in the parts folder and the other within a file on my desktop. That way if I ever have to reinstall I have the parts ready to copy over.

Kyle? Winston? Now see what you made me go and do? :D

9jGewoH.png

LymIvzF.png

37 NK-33 engines from cBBp's KOSMOS pack power the first stage alone. A pity she tears herself apart after first stage separation. I'll have to sort that little bug out.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

~Version 2.5.3 Released~

Radial SAS Halves have roughly half the electrical efficiency of the regular SAS parts but they don't need to be placed in the main stack and create a structural weakness. Available in 2m and 3m Halves.

4Ozy7.jpg

4OzhN.jpg

There are also some shorter fuel adapters, and tweaks to node sizes and alternators of the engines.

Changelog:

Updated to v2.5.3

-Added new parts:

-Fuel Adapters SHORT, 2.5m->1.25m, 3.75m->2.5m, 3.75m -> 1.25m

-Radial SAS Halves, 2.5m & 3.75m

-Rebalanced the Alternator output of all engines to scale correctly

-Changed the node sizes on all parts to be as close as possible to their size

Have fun !

Edited by Kickasskyle