[0.23] Squad Texture Reduction Pack - B9 and KW Packs also

PolecatEZ

If PolecatEZ is busy with B9'ing all the things, I can take a look at modernizing the Squad pack with *only* de-duplification of textures. Anyone wanting reduced sizes should just install ATM and be done with it but the de-duplification would still be useful.

I'm on Windows 7, I'm referring to the 64 bit KSP Windows thread if you haven't seen it.

No, I haven't seen it. I though Squad was quite a ways away from that. Do any non-part mods compiled for 32 bit work in 64? Isn't part of the point of a 64bit KSP that you don't need texture reduction packs?

Edited by BigD145

Do any non-part mods compiled for 32 bit work in 64?

That's the awesome thing about mono and .net in general - dlls can be (and with visual studio they are by default) architecture neutral, which means that the exact same dll will run on any CPU as long as it doesn't try to call the OS directly. For example, if there was a version of KSP for Android or the Raspberry Pi, you'd be able to install the exact same MechJeb mod as you do for windows. If/when Squad releases a 64 bit version of KSP, I'd expect the vast majority of existing mods to just work.

somnambulist: I look forward to such a hypothetical pack. :)

It's something I've been meaning to do for quite awhile now. :) It's a bit of a pain because the part loader just does not like model nodes sometimes and you have to watch for other mods that call stock textures (i.e., SXT). Should be able to shave 100MB from the on disk size, amount saved in memory will obviously vary.

Problem with the texture reduction packs and ATM is that something gets a bit messed up with the shadowing of the parts. Some stuff(like the probe-sized orange-y-gold-y toroidal tank) loses all of its color properties and becomes matte, and also has messed up shadowing. I think for my new install I need to fix that .bat to include only the internals fixes by the texture reduction packs.

• 3 weeks later...

The download link just goes to Kerbal Space-Port and I cannot find the redustion pack there. Is this a problem with where it was put or am I simply blind? (I am currently settling for model 1c I found on the internet with a working download)

Ectior, the mod has been abandoned, the developer has not given the anyone responsibility to update it and doesn't play KSP anymore. Thesonicgalaxy does another pack but it's for his "better atmospheres" pack, if you haven't already downloaded it and need RAM reduction. I have used his atmosphere reduction pack and it works very well, reduced my RAM usage from 2.9GB to 2.4GB ( 2.9GB isn't too high for small ships, but with big ships @ 80+ parts the game will crash as it jumps to around 3.4GB (crash) ).

Sambo

Edited by samhuk

Ectior, the mod has been abandoned, the developer has not given the anyone responsibility to update it and doesn't play KSP anymore. rbray does another pack but it's for his better atmospheres pack, if you haven't already downloaded it and need RAM reduction. I have used his atmosphere reduction pack and it works very well, reduced my RAM usage from 2.9GB to 2.4GB ( 2.9GB isn't too high for small ships, but with big ships @ 80+ parts the game will crash as it jumps to around 3.4GB (crash) ).

Sambo

I'd like to correct you there, That's my/Erona's pack. Not his.

Christ on a bike! I have all my names mixed up, I've just realised...post edited...apologies.

EDIT: FYI, it was "his" idea and "he" made the original pack so you can turn down the "I'm really jealous I didn't come up with that first" knob a little... Take a breather kid. :)

Edited by samhuk

Thirded - really need these packs.

most of my mods are to make the game more pretty and they can't be lowered with ATM unfortunately.

I don't have the pack itself but I have the files debloated and ready. I can archive them and upload that if you'd like.

Christ on a bike! I have all my names mixed up, I've just realised...post edited...apologies.

EDIT: FYI, it was "his" idea and "he" made the original pack so you can turn down the "I'm really jealous I didn't come up with that first" knob a little... Take a breather kid. :)

I wasn't jealous of anything, You made a mistake and I corrected it. But let's not re-activate a dead thread with something that's not even related.

If other mods are pushing the 3.5GB limit, and causing crashes, this is definitely for you.

There are a small number of us in the KSP community for whom all of the gobbledegook and strange characters found in the oddly-named files in the KSP folder are just meaningless gibberish. As far as I'm concerned, the game runs due to magic.

Sadly, the magic which runs my KSP has been weakening of late. I get more and more crashes, particularly when switching between ships, or reverting to launch, or just clicking on a KSC building.

I am reliably informed that a combination of the mods I'm running (a number which increases fairly often, but rarely falls) and a computer with a limited capacity for magic, is the cause of this.

So am I right in thinking that, counter-intuitively, this mod works differently to all the other mods, in that adding it will actually improve my game's performance?

Patronising and/or offensive replies (within reason) are acceptable.

Oaf

EDIT: I use MJ, AC, KAS, B9, KW, TAC, Better Atmos, Crew Manifest, Spaceplane Plus, + a few random parts mods

Edited by Oafman
further info

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.