What's the longest burn you had to do?

goldenpeach

Longest real time burn was the jool lander transfer burn, 1200 ton so even 24 LV-N gave it an TWR of 0.1. Now unlike ion probes who are small and let you run with physical warp, it with its 900 parts had an low framerate. burn was a bit over 20 minutes, I did an burn first who took Ap out to Mun orbit and the second burn was 1600 m/s

Edited by magnemoe

NyLtnjD.png

I put a fuel station in orbit around Moho. It has five orange tanks on one LV-N. I broke up the departure burn into multiple passes at periapsis, so I never had the engine running for more than half an hour at a time, but the full journey took over 7 hours.

Built pre .18? Docking would have been the smart way to go with it.

All my space stations are launched and delivered as a single unit. It means you don't have to mess about with double ports to make parts line up neatly.

I forgot the minutes but my longest burn had to have been 2 and a half hours due to a very heavy load being pushed by a very tiny ion engine. If I remember right, I was pushing a probe refueling station into interplanetary space.

34 minutes :mad: It was my interplanetary tug pushing two huge solar power plants into Kerbol orbit at about 2000 Gm. And i will have to do another burn that long to circularise orbit. Under severe lag caused by acres and acres of solar panels. Joy :P.

It was about 12 hours. Big stack of xenon tanks and a couple ion drives, trying to get a low solar orbit. 4x time warp and left the game running in the background.

Got the perigee down to almost touching the surface, but then ran out of fuel.

My longest useful burn was about 1hr long (long time ago now). It was a really heavy ship going to Jool or something like that. At least I could do it on 4x time acceleration, since the ship was stable, but from that point on I decided for ships that big, they get at least 2 nukes!

My longest non-useful burn was about 5hrs. I decided I wanted to build something useful with ion engines. I built something massive, with about 30 ion engine, hoping to get some decent velocity. It was still slow. I turned on the engines and let it go. It took about an hour to escape Kerbin. I just let it keep going and went to do other things. Later it was still going, on a highly elliptical solar orbit. It had the delta-v to escape but I decided to just stop it there and leave it on that orbit.

That was the point I gave up on ion engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.