What's the highest mass you've ever put into Kerbin orbit with a single ship?

Awass

I'm halfway inclined to see how big I can go with straight pancake staging.

Its a fun challenge. I got kinda fed up of building things that look like flying office blocks, so now I'm building big apollo style rockets to reach the harder-to-get-to places using just pancake staging and non-atomic engines. I'm working on a design to get 750 tons into orbit for a mission to Moho. It's probably way more than needed, but I'm not a very good navigator, so need plenty of extra fuel.

306.35t to LKO. 7 full orange tanks, 12 LV-Ns, and various other bits, for a heavy interplanetary transfer stage (12km/s dV by itself). Used the thrust plate design. 955 parts and a little over 2200t on the pad, and 131 engines firing on launch.

On the pad:

screenshot49_zps6a626a3e.png

Payload in orbit:

screenshot39_zps41d0d7bc.png

Not sure how much this thing weighs.... 400tons maybe?

It was lifted apollo style, with only pakcake staging. I've built a few giant asparagus designs that get way more into orbit, but they're ugly and aren't fun to build.

Z7LmPzj.png

This is the most beautiful thing I have ever laid eyes upon.

Well, legitly or non-legitly. Well, legitly, I once got a 450 ton battlecruiser into space. Non-legitly, I made a 2000 ton spacecraft, hit the launch button, saw it on the launch pad, and it bounced up to space at 200000 m/s, then somehow got on an escape trajectory. It is now peacefully orbiting Eeloo. If I click "Switch To", the lag will be so bad i can't do anything to it, so no pics, sorry. There are 2 kerbals stuck on it, by the way. :P

Yes! I made it!

The core for my orbital construction station (from the Orbital Construction Mod) is in orbit!

That's a 418 ton core lifted with stock parts only!

Here's the core in it's 150km orbit:

418Torbit.jpg

That's not an Orange Tank, that is the Large Orbital Warehouse from the Orbital Construction mod. Holding 16,000 rocket parts it weights in at 400 tons, the other stuff I've attached takes it up to 418 tons.

On the pad:

418Tpad.jpg

It only clocks in at 979 part count, 400 tons in the space of an orange tank requires a lot of struts....

The orbital warehouse is hiding in the center stack. That's an asparagus staging supported by 12 of the large SRBs. The 7 center engines (first ring and the center) are Mainsails and the 2 outer rings are skippers.

The 7 mainsails are actually enough thrust to get lift off, but they left me significantly short of fuel. I could actually reach orbital height but I was in the range of 1000Dv short to circularize.

The 12 skippers are along simply to lift the fuel stacks for the mainsails.

Even then, this setup only reached a 150Ap/130Pe orbit, I circularized to an even 150km orbit on my RCS thrusters.

This is with FAR installed also, hence the nose-cones.

It's touch and go starting a gravity turn at only 8km with that monster, but my total Dv was low enough that I don't think I could reach orbit if I did not start below 10k or so.

Now to get the rest of the station up.

D.

Edited by Diazo

• 3 weeks later...

Heaviest object I ever got into orbit was 2.850 kT

Only object mod used was MechJeb for control and monitoring

I used editor tools to make the damn thing

I used dynamic warp so my computer didn't commit seppuku on the object count

It started at 16.988 kt with 108 stages,

ErWKifP.jpg

and ended with 37 mainsail engines and 74 nearly full orange tanks in a 100km circular orbit

Q3a7QfG.jpg

Edited by Driosenth
grammar error

My biggest normal construct is the Bucket:

vryUQRg.jpg

It's a 4000-ton U-shaped SSTO booster (no asparagus) carrying a 450-ton payload into orbit. That picture's slightly out of date, the more recent version carries about 500 tons. Yes, I said SSTO; the entire thing flies up, delivers its payload into a nice, circular 80km orbit, then safely de-orbits itself. No debris whatsoever, and no need for massive engines on the payload. I've launched about two dozen of the things to date, delivering space stations and fuel depots to eight different planets and moons.

The typical payload, for reference:

gff9p7G.jpg

It's a mobile Kethane refinery and fuel depot. A 400-ton orbital tanker, paired with a 50-ton lander with onboard Kethane refinery.

The simple fact is, beyond a certain point there's no downside to going bigger. I could easily double the size of the Bucket and it'd still fly just as well. As long as your basic design is sound, you won't even end up with insane clusters of struts or anything.

Indeed, as I recall someone posted a ship that put 1000 tons into orbit SSTO. Also, of course, using a completely different set of parts than those of us who have to tweak for days to get several hundred tons up. Such things are totally incomparable.

310t ... for my spaceship that allows me manned operations + science/sample returns almost anywhere in the Kerbol-System

(with around 11-15+ km/s dV for interplanetary travel ... depending on the fuel used to get to the target location [as the payload of the interplanetary part gets a lot lighter for the return trip] and 3.9 km/s dV for the lander)

VEdcn9r.jpg

Edited by Godot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.