If you could go anywhere in the solar system where would you go?

dharak1

• 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, justidutch said:

Anyone for Planet 9?

If you like oceans of H2, than go ahead.

On 10/15/2013 at 7:34 PM, Bioman222 said:

Let's look at the solar system and my options:

Sun-Too hot

Mercury-Again, too hot.

Venus-Too hot, to much pressure.

Earth-Been there, done that. Moon-Good choice

Mars-I'd love to, if it wasn't a radiation-scarred desert. Phobos- Too much radiation, again.

Asteroid belt- Might be a few places, like Ceres, to visit

Jupiter-Too much gas, not enough ground Io-Too much volcanoes Europa-Again, too much radiation :( Ganymede- Actually, good choice. Callisto- Good choice

Saturn-Same as Jupiter, though the orbital view might not be half bad! Titan- Good choice Enceladus- Good Choice

Uranus- Good choice, though might receive a few to many jokes about me "Vacationing in Uranus's system"

Neptune- Good choice

Pluto- Too cold! Moons- Too cold!

So, I could have a trip at either the Moon, Jupiter, Ganymede, Callisto, Saturn, Titan, Enceladus, Uranus, or Neptune.

All gas/ice giants and Enceledous would be unhabitable due to high radiation from the radiation belts.

Welcome to Finland. We have foreign weather system including cryogenic air temperatures and supercooled lakes for everybody who come from truly habitable climates. If you want to fly though the air by a crazy way, you can rent skis. :)

Io would probably be very interesting place. Also Triton, because blue color of Neptune is really beautiful.

7 minutes ago, Hannu2 said:

Welcome to Finland. We have foreign weather system including cryogenic air temperatures and supercooled lakes for everybody who come from truly habitable climates. If you want to fly though the air by a crazy way, you can rent skis. :)

44 minutes ago, Elrond Cupboard said:

Well, you might need some serious thermal underwear.

Hmm, I would like to visit a lot of places. Here's a list, kind of like the KSP tourist contract objective list, but way harder:

-Orbit the Moon (Earthrise!)
-Visit a Moon-Arch (wait, Earth's moon doesn't have any easter eggs...)
-Hike down Nilokeras Scopulus on Mars (at the edge of Kasei Valles, the giant riverbed)
-Maybe Valles Marineris (to watch the sunset, compare it to sunset at the Grand Canyon)
-Olympus Mons (to see what it looks like up there)
-Pol Phobos (fun low gravity, great view of Mars)
-Submarine in Europa's mantle (looking for little alien squOH GOD THAT ONE'S NOT LITTLE *unintelligible*
-Orbit Io, and maybe land too (it looks cool, but I'm not sure I want to get too close to all that volcanism)
-Amalthea (Jupiter's bands would fill the sky)
-Titan (flying, and also submarining in those lakes looking for alien creatures)
-Miranda (those weird ridges are cool, plus Uranus in the sky)
-Pluto and Charon (binary and interesting geology)
-Earth (Man, that planet has like literally everything!)

Ok, I guess I could pass on Olympus Mons, Miranda, Pluto, Charon, Europa, and Phobos if I still get to visit Amalthea.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go for Io and land there (on the Jupiter-facing side of course!) The disc would fill a huge portion of the sky, and the bands and storms would look absolutely astounding. I would stay there long enough to watch Io's shadow pass over Jupiter, which happens once every 30 hours or so. I'd bring a telescope to look at Jupiter, the Galilean moons, and lots of other small Jovian moons. I'd also look at Earth and the Moon, Mars, Venus, and Saturn. 

Edited by cubinator

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

Hmm, I would like to visit a lot of places. Here's a list, kind of like the KSP tourist contract objective list, but way harder:

-Orbit the Moon (Earthrise!)
-Visit a Moon-Arch (wait, Earth's moon doesn't have any easter eggs...)
-Hike down Nilokeras Scopulus on Mars (at the edge of Kasei Valles, the giant riverbed)
-Maybe Valles Marineris (to watch the sunset, compare it to sunset at the Grand Canyon)
-Olympus Mons (to see what it looks like up there)
-Pol Phobos (fun low gravity, great view of Mars)
-Submarine in Europa's mantle (looking for little alien squOH GOD THAT ONE'S NOT LITTLE *unintelligible*
-Orbit Io, and maybe land too (it looks cool, but I'm not sure I want to get too close to all that volcanism)
-Amalthea (Jupiter's bands would fill the sky)
-Titan (flying, and also submarining in those lakes looking for alien creatures)
-Miranda (those weird ridges are cool, plus Uranus in the sky)
-Pluto and Charon (binary and interesting geology)
-Earth (Man, that planet has like literally everything!)

Ok, I guess I could pass on Olympus Mons, Miranda, Pluto, Charon, Europa, and Phobos if I still get to visit Amalthea.

If I had to pick one, I'd probably go for Io and land there (on the Jupiter-facing side of course!) The disc would fill a huge portion of the sky, and the bands and storms would look absolutely astounding. I would stay there long enough to watch Io's shadow pass over Jupiter, which happens once every 30 hours or so. I'd bring a telescope to look at Jupiter, the Galilean moons, and lots of other small Jovian moons. I'd also look at Earth and the Moon, Mars, Venus, and Saturn. 

I assume this ignores radiation? Because Amalathea and Io would kill you from the radiation levels.

And the Apollo 11 moon landing site, Tycho Crater, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadley%E2%80%93Apennine

are good substitutes for the Lunar Arch.:)

7 hours ago, fredinno said:

I assume this ignores radiation? Because Amalathea and Io would kill you from the radiation levels.

And the Apollo 11 moon landing site, Tycho Crater, and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadley%E2%80%93Apennine

are good substitutes for the Lunar Arch.:)

Yes, as mentioned in the OP radiation is not a problem.

The moon sure has a lot of interesting places, doesn't it?

I'd go to Earth, more specifically my bedroom. I don't like outdoors.

But given the choice i would choose to go to the Sun to look for planets orbiting closer than Mercury, then come back to Earth as a hero and earn big bucks.

What wonderful imagination i have.

I'd like to do a slow descent through Jupiter:

All the majesty of the atmospheric layers

Collosal lightning

Sea of liquid hydrogen

If there is a discrete solid/liquid boundary, what is there? Metallic hydrogen? What does that look like?

Possibility of wind-borne life??

Minor technicalities like travel time as well as safe return etc (as in the OP) aside: Way out to see what this Oort cloud is like and map it, if it is indeed there at all. As of now, it is still only a theory. To find it, describe it and map it would perhaps be the greatest challenge in the exploration of our solar system.

Edited by LN400

On March 17, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Rdivine said:

I'd go to Earth, more specifically my bedroom. I don't like outdoors.

But given the choice i would choose to go to the Sun to look for planets orbiting closer than Mercury, then come back to Earth as a hero and earn big bucks.

What wonderful imagination i have.

Good luck. You might find a new asteroid group though.

On March 17, 2016 at 10:11 AM, p1t1o said:

I'd like to do a slow descent through Jupiter:

All the majesty of the atmospheric layers

Collosal lightning

Sea of liquid hydrogen

If there is a discrete solid/liquid boundary, what is there? Metallic hydrogen? What does that look like?

REMOTE Possibility of wind-borne life

Fixed it for you :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.