[1.10.x] SDHI Service Module System (V4.0.4 / 11 October 2020)

sumghai

Well I was in the middle of my reentry descent and my ablative shield was at 0. I survived and so did the heat shield.

http://i.imgur.com/wkBjgWb.png

Why is that so unusual? No offense but you really need to read up on how a heat shield works because ........ (no never mind) Look, There are multiple schemes for protecting a vehicle from reentry heating and a single shield can use several of them. There are ablators, which help keep the shield from rising above a certain point by carrying heat away from the vehicle and forming a gas barrier that pushes the superheated shockwave away from the vehicle. That's the AblativeShielding resource.

Then there is thermal soaking, which as the name suggest acts as a sponge to soak up heat. In DREC that's modeled with a high maxTemp rating. When the heat shield part's temperature increases past maxTemp, KSP (not DREC) destroys the part. Makes it explode.

Most of the heat shields in DREC use both methods. The ablative material just keeps the temperature from rising above 300-500 or so. (RSS class shields peak higher and ablate away even more material and dissipate more heat) and the high maxTemp keeps it from blowing up too soon. So in that picture above, your shield is now rising above 400 degrees. It has a maxTemp of about 1800. (DREC leaves the maxTemp of heat shields alone)

In summary, the AblativeShielding is NOT a 'life bar'. Ablative is just intended to keep your temperatures low. maxTemp let's it survive higher temperatures, hopefully long enough to get on the ground. (that part'll happen pretty definitely)

Do you still think your shield should be exploding right now in that picture you posted?

Here. Make a file in your GameData folder (or ANY of its subdirectories) and name the file suicide.cfg. Then edit the file and copy and paste the following code into it.

@PART[SDHI_2.5_Heatshield]
{
@maxTemp = 600
}

Why is that so unusual? No offense but you really need to read up on how a heat shield works because ........ (no never mind) Look, There are multiple schemes for protecting a vehicle from reentry heating and a single shield can use several of them. There are ablators, which help keep the shield from rising above a certain point by carrying heat away from the vehicle and forming a gas barrier that pushes the superheated shockwave away from the vehicle. That's the AblativeShielding resource.

Then there is thermal soaking, which as the name suggest acts as a sponge to soak up heat. In DREC that's modeled with a high maxTemp rating. When the heat shield part's temperature increases past maxTemp, KSP (not DREC) destroys the part. Makes it explode.

Most of the heat shields in DREC use both methods. The ablative material just keeps the temperature from rising above 300-500 or so. (RSS class shields peak higher and ablate away even more material and dissipate more heat) and the high maxTemp keeps it from blowing up too soon. So in that picture above, your shield is now rising above 400 degrees. It has a maxTemp of about 1800. (DREC leaves the maxTemp of heat shields alone)

In summary, the AblativeShielding is NOT a 'life bar'. Ablative is just intended to keep your temperatures low. maxTemp let's it survive higher temperatures, hopefully long enough to get on the ground. (that part'll happen pretty definitely)

Do you still think your shield should be exploding right now in that picture you posted?

Here. Make a file in your GameData folder (or ANY of its subdirectories) and name the file suicide.cfg. Then edit the file and copy and paste the following code into it.

@PART[SDHI_2.5_Heatshield]
{
@maxTemp = 600
}

Ok say basically everything is working as it should. Thanks Starwarster!

Just a heads-up:

SDHI SMS v2.2.1 is not compatible with KSP 0.25, due to changes in stock part names and references. An update will be out this weekend.

And a heads up to your heads up :)

They fixed the rescale bug so your LV909 will be too small as configured. (removing the scale line from the MODEL node should do it)

Ok say basically everything is working as it should. Thanks Starwarster!

You're welcome. You sure you don't want to try my config?

+1 for Serenity quote.

:D

V2.3 released - see first post for download link

2.3        10 October 2014
---------------------------

Changes / Fixes:
- Compatibility Patch for KSP 0.25.x
- Updated references and scaling factors in stock parts used by SDHI (such as the Fairingless LV-909 and Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port - Parachute version)
- Replaced FSanimateGeneric with new stock KSP ModuleAnimateGeneric
- IACBM fins, Boost Protect Cover hatch and Mk 1-2 Pod Umbilical Port remain toggleable in the VAB/SPH editor scenes
- Firespitter plugin is no longer required, and has been dropped from the list of dependencies
- Added fallback patch for stock parachute behaviour if RealChute is absent
- Note: RealChute is still the recommended default
- Stock parachute behaviour only deploys main chutes, and should only be used in an emergency as it may cause sudden or craft-damaging deacceleration upon deployment

Bugs/Known Issues
- Mk 1-2 Pod Umbilical Port is now also toggleable outside of the VAB/SPH editor scenes
- This is due to a limitation with the current stock KSP ModuleAnimateGeneric behaviour, but is not game-breaking.

Sumghai, are you going to be able to continue supporting the parts in this pack that depend on dtobi's Klockheed Martian parts/plugins? He has officially discontinued all work on KSP modding and is releasing his work to public domain upon request.

Sumghai, are you going to be able to continue supporting the parts in this pack that depend on dtobi's Klockheed Martian parts/plugins? He has officially discontinued all work on KSP modding and is releasing his work to public domain upon request.

The only SDHI SMS part that uses dtobi's Klockheed Martian plugins is the pod heat shield (specifically, the self-deploying inflatable collar) - since the collar is an optional feature, if the plugin becomes vaporware, no crafts will break*.

*The heat shield itself will still work as normal, but you capsule won't be as floaty as before on splashdown :P

what about using RoverDude's functionality in his inflatables pack, he seems quite involved in the community and looks to be for some time?

The floatation devices in RoverDude's pack are actually Firespitter-powered, which I decided not to use because the PartModule providing the floatation feature is always active, cannot be toggled with animation and does not have the automatic deploy-on-splashdown trigger that dtobi's plugins have.

I also dropped Firespitter because I'm trying to use as few dependencies as possible while retaining the SMS's rich features.

Well thought out, good choice when explained like that

What about taking that small bit of ditobis code (which is apparently public domain) and absorbing it - this way it doesn't get as crazy as maintaining a new mod, but you just latch on to the one piece of functionality that works for you?

What about taking that small bit of ditobis code (which is apparently public domain) and absorbing it - this way it doesn't get as crazy as maintaining a new mod, but you just latch on to the one piece of functionality that works for you?

I attempted to do something similar for FusTek a long, long time ago - specifically, repackaging and recompiling my own copy of Firespitter's FSanimateGeneric. When stock KSP introduced VAB/SPH tweakables, Firespitter was updated to take advantage of this new feature, but since I didn't (and still don't) know anything about plugin coding, I wasn't able to add it to my derivative. In the end, I decided to just make Firespitter a dependency for FusTek.

Simplifying dtobi's plugins down to the bare essentials for the KMinflatables and maintaining it in the long term is far beyond my ability. I've gotten Starwaster to write a bespoke plugin for SDHI SMS before (AnimatedDecouplers), but I'd much rather not squander too many favors with fellow add-on authors.

Anyone have any idea why I don't get the decouple option for the service module either in the action group manager or the right click menu? It's attached to a Mk1-2 command pod with heat shield as standard.

Anyone have any idea why I don't get the decouple option for the service module either in the action group manager or the right click menu? It's attached to a Mk1-2 command pod with heat shield as standard.

See 'Dependencies' in the first post. You're probably missing the Animated Decouplers plugin.

See 'Dependencies' in the first post. You're probably missing the Animated Decouplers plugin.

I could've sworn I tested after installing that, but either I didn't or it just didn't work that time for some reason. It's working fine now. I assumed that "dependency" just animated the decouplers rather than added the actual functionality.

Can anyone help me find out why I'm getting this really weird shading/texture bug? I start up the game and go into the VAB, and for some reason all of the parts except the heatshield from this mod that you are supposed to attach to the capsule have a weird red shader thing applied to them. RealChutes is a possible suspect, as their parts have the same problem.

Downloaded the version from Github. I went into the VAB and used the clamp-o-tron docking port and ironically there was no port, just the parachute models. Looked into the config and found the clamp-o-tron's config had a model issue. The model it's trying to reference doesn't exist. It was trying to find "dockPort":

MODEL 
{
model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort/model
scale = 1, 1, 1
}

While it should be this to show the port model:

MODEL 
{
model = Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPort2/model
scale = 1, 1, 1
}

Small thing that needs fixing. I hope this will help someone if they have the same issue.

Thanks for the wonderful mod!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.