What kind of Hardware do you use to run KSP

acidr4in

For awhile I was running KSP on a laptop with an A6 chip and 4 Gb of ram.... And nowhere near smoothly. I got by with it. I currently have an AMD FX 9590 with an ATI HD 7800 graphics card. I have 16 Gb of RAM to go with that.... But KSP is only a 32 bit program, so it maxes out at 4 Gb of RAM. I just discovered this :http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-5-Release-3-1-Active-Texture-Management-Save-RAM-without-reduction-packs%21/page140 and it runs even better (I have a lot of mods!) It seems to hang at the beginning, but it works very well. (I am a true believer after seeing what it did with my problems! Don't take my word for it, try it for yourself! =P)

ABSOLUTELY! Rbray89's texture reduction mod is one of two mods on my system that is absolutely immune to culling. The other is rbray89's Visual Enhancements. I love a volumetric clouded Kerbin. The active texture management is the only reason I can run 35 mods on my system. Without it I crash at loading! Rbray89's mods occupy the top two spots in my mod list. They make everything else work together sooooo nicely! :huh::cool::confused:

BTW: the apparent 'hang' at the beginning isn't truly a hang, that is the mod compressing the textures.

• 10 months later...

Hi

I am considering buying an Apple MacBook Pro (MD103C/A) - Core i7 2.3 GHz - OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD - 15.4" wide 1440 x 900 - NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M / Intel HD Graphics 4000

>> will I be able to play KSP in good conditions? Meaning what max number of pieces and detail level before it starts lagging?

Thanks a lot!!

i have:

AMD FX 8350

*nvidia 650ti 2gb

120gb ssd

8gb ram

windows 7

Anything above about 200 parts puts fps right down,

light levels on low, fantasic render, textures 1/2 res, +mods

Its a slideshow at anything 400+ parts - nightmare for my space stations and bases obviously.

Then every few mins it will decide to run absolutely perfect for about a second which throws me right off.

Loading times and crashes are abundant, im starting various ksp loading rituals.

I would strongly advise against IntelHD graphics. The 650M might stand the ksp test

Windows 8.1 Professional

AMD FX 6100 (six cores)

8192 MB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 5450

A huge paging file, DDSLoader, and Active Texture Management (Aggressive). I'm using Astronomer's configs as well, and Astronomer's Visuals. As many settings as possible are on low except for textures (since it stupidly blurs the navball and other icon textures). I have the ritual of closing all other programs but Steam, a recorder program, and one tab of Chrome for the Blogger interface. I average around 30 FPS at the KSC.

i7 930 @2.8GHz -- quad-core, but several years old.

12G RAM.

GTX 980 GPU -- brand-new. Easier to upgrade than the processor. I keep procrastinating on the processor. What if I screw up the upgrade?

i7 960 @ 3.2Ghz -- Our first gens may be old, but they keep on keepin' on.

12G RAM

GTX 770 2GB

None at the moment since my computer died (while playing KSP of course) and I don't think my Mac Mini will be much good.

however I do have a new rig on the way:

i7 5820k (6 core) 3.3GHz liquid cooled

16GB DDR4 RAM

GTX 970 4GB

240 GB SSD + 1TB HD

Hi

I am considering buying an Apple MacBook Pro (MD103C/A) - Core i7 2.3 GHz - OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion - 4 GB RAM - 500 GB HDD - 15.4" wide 1440 x 900 - NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M / Intel HD Graphics 4000

>> will I be able to play KSP in good conditions? Meaning what max number of pieces and detail level before it starts lagging?

Thanks a lot!!

Check out this thread http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/42877-CPU-Performance-Database

Edit: While the database is for .23.5, it could at least give you an idea

Edited by jlo96

Hi, I just wanted to ask a little question what kind of Hardware do you use to run KSP.

I'm really frustrated lately and stopped playing because everything has more than 5 parts doesn't run fluid.

Docking on this is a real pain in the ass.

http://i.imgur.com/N7FuOkVh.jpg

If someone has tips to improve the performance you are very welcome to post here.

My Hardware:

• Intel i760
  • Radeon 7870
  • 8 GB RAM
  • SSD

Show-off

Mine is old

Socket 775 - E7500 Core 2.93 MHz with 4 gigs Radeon 4600 something or the other. On the bright side it has a solid state hard drive, but KSP is not on it.

Taking donations for a new computer.

Your problem is not your computer, obviously, mine is slower and has less memory.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.