What kind of Hardware do you use to run KSP

acidr4in

•Phenom II x4 965 BE (Deneb, third revision), got it up to 4ghz with the stock cooler, I keep it at default tho.

•ASUS M4A79XTD-EVO, wouldn't buy one of these again ever, causes vdrop because of some BS auto-stabilization and you can only override it by setting vcore from BIOS, soft overclock is almost impossible.

•Saikano Dark Star 1x4gb

•Sapphire HD6850

All in all, a good 2012 gaming rig and it's still going strong. No problems until I go above 500 parts.

AMD Phenom II X4 955

Deneb 45nm Technology CPU

6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24) RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5670 (ATI AIB) GPU

931GB SAMSUNG HD103SJ SCSI Disk Device (SATA) HARD DRIVE

Win 7 64-bit

It's pretty low-end for today's standarts but it was a really cheap package, a lot of bang for the buck back in 2012

I can run 300-500 parts without trouble but the crappy gpu really doesn't like the horizon unless I manually set the ocean's max subdivision to 1 which makes landings i the ocean really ugly.

5830 has a lot more memory bandwidth than the 5770. Like a lot. Which benchmark you look at changes how much faster than the 5770 it is pretty significantly. You're looking at a significantly faster core on the 5830 (more shaders), and twice the memory bandwidth.

Short version: 5770 is the best of the meh 5xxx cards. 5830 is the slowest of the good 5xxx cards.

Very good point. I didn't think it'd cause as big of a difference as it does though.

I have the Qosmio X75-A7295

i7 4700MQ Quadcore at 2.4ghz

16 gig of ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 770M w/ 3gb of GDDR5 memory

Windows 8.1

I run KSP at max settings. With only mechjeb and the citylights and clouds mods, It runs smooth even with my biggest ship at 637 parts. but with a yellow timer on the first few stages.

Windows 7 64

ASUS Z87-C Motherboard

i5-4670K @3.40GHz 4 cores

16 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3

GT 640 NVIDIA 1GB

All this inside a big coolmaster case that will be liquid cooled someday. I may also updgrade my videocard too as I know it is a bit underwhelming, but it works for now.

Intel Core i5-2500k overclocked to 4.3GHz for stability and longevity.

Dual GTX 760's in SLI for maximum graphics horsepower.

128GB Intel SSD which contains OS

500GB 10k RPM HDD which contains Steam library and KSP

640GB Storage Drive

8GB 1600 MHz RAM

This build was initially started a few years ago but I've upgraded the system overtime. It runs great and I can't ask for any more bang per buck. It'll let me run up to 1000 part ships on a heavily modded KSP before the lag starts to get to me. All in all, a great machine.

AMD FX-6350

8GB RAM

Radeon 7770

WDC Black <- My bottleneck

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

AMD FX CPU is a boss at multitasking and multithreading. Makes for a good game streaming machine too, as the multitasking performance prevents lag from the streaming. There are performance gains going with the latest series (Vishera) over ye olde Phenom II.

I snagged the Windows 8 upgrade when it was $30. Considering I made a jump from Vista, it was a night and day imorovement.

Edited by Blaster

My old nVidia 8300 gave up the ghost yesterday *boo*

So I've just upgraded *hooray*

Unfortunately, since the rest of the system is fairly old too the best my PSU could push was a 610 *boo*

Compared to how it used to look & run KSP is fantastic though *hooray* (even if most of the rest of you wouldn't rate it).

Sometime I'll get around to upgrading the PSU so I can get a quality card. And then improve the motherboard, with a better CPU. And memory ... doh!

My old nVidia 8300 gave up the ghost yesterday *boo*

Sometime I'll get around to upgrading the PSU so I can get a quality card. And then improve the motherboard, with a better CPU. And memory ... doh!

I hope your 610 works out better than mine did. I had lots of compatibility issues with it, and the cooling fan sounded like it was trying to become an SSTO itself.

For about $150 you can get a 400W PSU and a GeForce GTX 650Ti like I'm running. As far as bang for the buck goes, it doesn't get much better.

The 650 was what I'd intended to buy as it happens, had it not been for the PSU. In the UK it'll cost a bit more than $150 but it's not a bank-buster. I'll probably end-up just building a new machine though since most of the components of this one are getting weak by today's standards. The 610 will make a good reserve card when I do, no problems with it yet, installed smoothly, runs quietly, no complaints from any of the games I've thrown at it (apart from those too old themselves to know what a 610 is!).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.