[0.24.2] Achievements 1.6.3 - Earn 136 achievements while playing

blizzy78

Looks like an awesome mod, but I have one request that would make it a lot more enjoyable for myself. I think that adding science to the achievements would be very rewarding and would definitely get me to use this on my main saves. Just a suggestion, not sure if it is even possible.

It is, and currently each achievement awards 5 science points.

Is it still not possible to disable or change that value? I'd love to use this, but 5 science per achievement messes with the BTSM tech tree badly.

BTSM is pretty tightly balanced in terms of progression, and does not use the default tech tree or node costs. In stock KSP, 5 Science is just a nice bonus - in BTSM, just doing the normal things you do could prematurely unlock too much. It spoils the gameplay a bit. I use the Acheivements plugin on my other installs, but with BTSM, it would indeed be nice if they could be configured to award less (like 1 or 2).

That's a good idea. You could probably even cap that variable at 5, so that people don't exploit it to gain ridiculous science for every little thing.

(By the way, check your e-mail - I sent a little something along the other day!)

I think it's pretty dumb to bother trying to keep people from exploiting something like this when they can just open their plain-text save file and give themselves as much science points as they like :P

To be clear, I don't disagree Headhunter67 on your need for the plugin to be able to not give science so people don't unintentionally unbalance their gameplay when using BTSM in conjunction with Achievements. But if someone wants to do it they can do it whether you want them to or not

I think it's pretty dumb to bother trying to keep people from exploiting something like this when they can just open their plain-text save file and give themselves as much science points as they like :P

To be clear, I don't disagree Headhunter67 on your need for the plugin to be able to not give science so people don't unintentionally unbalance their gameplay when using BTSM in conjunction with Achievements. But if someone wants to do it they can do it whether you want them to or not

You are missing the point.

Other players getting to much science points is not the issue, players wishing to play with BTSM intended progression getting unwanted points is.

True - but that requires intent - no need to make it easier than that. :)

As KerbMav said, the goal of my suggestion was to throttle down science gains for BTSM players who want to use Achievements, while still making it at least a little significant.

no I did not miss the point, I said I wasn't disagreeing with HeadHunter67 on his need for the plugin to not give out science. However his request to have the author of the mod cap the value so people can't exploit it is rather pointless when people can give themselves as much science points as they like anyways. In other words, a cap on the value implies that users might want to go in and change the value so, for example, they get 20 points per achievement. Well, if the author caps the value at 5 then people can still go into the persistent file and give themselves and additional 15.

Is there a way in which other mods can access the information in this mod - particularly which kerbals have been involved in which achievements. I have been considering using achievements as one part of a crew dynamic mod - so Kerbals with lots of achievements gain experience and are promoted in rank, while other kerbals start to regard then with admiration / envy.

Anyhow - is there any easy way of accessing this information?

There is no way to access this information at this time. Even if there was, it doesn't record which Kerbal did what. It does record the "vessel name", which in the case of a Kerbal it would be his name, but really, you can't be sure it has been a Kerbal after the fact.

Blizzy,

I love your Achievement mod. It is awesome! But I have had to uninstall it. I think it was conflicting with another mod. About 1 in 3 times after I had landed/crashed KSP would refuse to change screens. The recover will drop down or the menu would pop up but no matter how many times I click, I can't get out of my mission. Have to restart. I am using a lot of mods, but I was wondering if you have seen this problem before? I would be glad to help you trouble shoot it if you have the time. Whichever mod is causing it is going to get booted in favor of Achievements. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Those are hardcoded into the plugin.

I understand there is an interface such that additional acheivements can be loaded at run-time, no? So that other plug-ins can provide their own achievements as part of their own download? Why not move the Sentar achievements into a separate download - or, better yet, get it added to the Sentar plugin's download. It seems odd to have hard-coded achievements for mod content.

• 2 weeks later...
Those are hardcoded into the plugin.

That's a bit of an oversight. Is planetfactory or whatever mod which adds planets necessary for a simple achievement mod?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but you should be able to toggle it.

That's a bit of an oversight. Is planetfactory or whatever mod which adds planets necessary for a simple achievement mod?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but you should be able to toggle it.

It is not a requirement. If you don't have it installed, the achievements plugin works regardless. Those achievements will still be displayed.

To arronlee goes the award for most off topic post of the month:D

Meanwhile back on topic, loaded your addon just out of curiosity and I love it, finally something puposefull to do in sandbox, really enjoying trying for the full set of achievements, still not killed any kerbals though, just irks me treating kerbs as nothing more than a number. Great addon thanks.