Where can i get with 5747 delta v?

I currently have a oribitally built ship in kerbin orbit. I was planning to give it three sections, front, middle, rear, but after two (front and middle) it is lagging a bit. I use Kerbal Engineer Redux and it says i have 5747 delta v. How far can i get with this much from kerbin orbit? Im still learning how much i need. Is it enough to make a one-way trip to Duna? Any help is appreciated. :)

Look at this pic. Trace a path from where you are to where you going and sum up the numbers, the result is the delta-v you need.

Note that if you are going to land on a planet with atmosphere (look for the white arrows) a large part of the delta-v for landing comes from aerobraking, meaning less fuel is needed.

Essentially, yes. Now, those numbers do consider the optimal case only. For example, a one way trip to Duna takes 950+110+370 = 1,430 m/s of delta-V for the transfer and orbit, but that's assuming you leave Kerbin when Duna's at the optimal phase angle and you use the proper ejection angle (and that you aerobrake when you get to Duna unless I'm mistaken). A good assumption is that you're going to screw it up one way or another, so pack extra fuel.

5,754 m/s...the moons of Jool are probably out; other than that you're golden.

5,754 m/s...the moons of Jool are probably out; other than that you're golden.

You don't need to enter Jool low orbit to wisit Jool moons. Just aerobrake in Jool's atmosphere to get to the orbit you want and visit the moon for almost free.

5754 m/s is probably enough to get anywhere in the system, as long as you're efficient with your transfers and know how to aerobrake and take advantage of some handy gravity assists. That's enough to get out all the way out to Eeloo (probably around 4500-ish), you can easily visit all the Joolian moons (2500-3000ish with aerobraking), Eve and Duna are a breeze, and if you're really careful with your timing and use gravity assists for your plane change, you can probably juuust manage to get a capture at Moho.

So... what will it take to go to Tylo, land there, then return home to Kerbin?

Off the top of my head, maybe 10000-11000m/s. Tylo has huge landing and takeoff requirements. It has the same gravity as Kerbin but no atmosphere, so it takes about 3000m/s to land and another 3000m/s to take off. You also need a significant amount of thrust to land on Tylo; NERVAs are difficult to pull off for that.

So... what will it take to go to Tylo, land there, then return home to Kerbin?

Once again, if you look at the picture that SFJackBauer posted, it takes 3070 Delta-V for a trip from Low Tylo Orbit to surface. Since there's no atmosphere, it takes another 3070 to get back up, however, as has been said, that chart assumes optimal everything.

Landing will take you extra delta-V, simply because it's landing and not ascent. Plus, you're likely to mess up elsewhere along your ascent, so let's just say from low Tylo orbit, to surface, and back is..Let's call it 6600 Delta-V to be on the safe side. So that.

Okay, now what about transit? Well with that, you're going to want to be packing the better part of 10Km/s of DV from LKO, I'd imagine.

From experience landing on Tylo takes quite a bit more delta v and skill than taking off.

The problem is you have to burn 3k speed at low altitude whilst maintaining a low vertical speed. Doing this is quite difficult, and will always require quite a bit more DV than the map says.

Taking off on the other hand is easy. Because there's no atmosphere to power through you can start building horizontal speed pretty much immediately. It's very easy to do an efficient gravity turn when you can start it on the surface.

You don't need to enter Jool low orbit to wisit Jool moons. Just aerobrake in Jool's atmosphere to get to the orbit you want and visit the moon for almost free.

Yep. Aerobraking is your friend. Speaking of which, is there a mod for a deployable heat shield? It doesn't have to be functional, as I'm not currently running DRE. I can't remember if DRE has a big deployable shield or not.

I was thinking something with a large radius and deployable. I use that adapter for heat shields on landers and rovers, though.

I'm using DRE right now, myself, and I can confirm that it has an inflatable 6-meter heat shield. Before inflating, it fits quite nicely inside a 2-meter space, and it can also be jettisoned once you no longer need it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.