Possibly the worst decision the devs have ever made so far.

BeefTenderloin

Interesting link on the science of fonts - http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/hear-all-ye-people-hearken-o-earth/?_r=0

Details a very substantial experiment on the believability of information presented in varying typefaces.

Turns out Baskerville has a minor, but statistically significant, advantage over other fonts (comic sans, perhaps unsurprisingly scores somewhat lower).

Darn it, Baskerville isn't loaded. Make do with Georgia :)

Moved to space lounge.

This has more to do with Comic Sans than KSP at this point.

Well then move it back to general - the thread was derailed. Guys, from this point on the focus is not on comic sans but of them using the wrong font. It does not fit with the feel of KSP, and is not appropriate for the model.

I've actually uninstalled comic sans and papyrus and some other fonts that really annoy me from my computer, I actually can't see them, just turns into generic (sans) serif, I recommend those of you typographically sensitive do the same, protects you from a lot of exposure, though obviously text baked into images aren't possible to avoid using this method.

Interesting link on the science of fonts - http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/hear-all-ye-people-hearken-o-earth/?_r=0

Details a very substantial experiment on the believability of information presented in varying typefaces.

Turns out Baskerville has a minor, but statistically significant, advantage over other fonts (comic sans, perhaps unsurprisingly scores somewhat lower).

Darn it, Baskerville isn't loaded. Make do with Georgia :)

Not gonna type in the numbers and run the Chi square, but my gut sense based on having done hundreds of Chi square analyses is that these numbers are not relatively large enough to approach the 0.05 level of significance. Meaning, it is more likely that the observed differences are just random.

errol-kindness11-blog427.jpg

Is Baskerville 'less disagreeable' than Comic San? It looks that way. The difference observed between Baskerville and Helvetica (the 2nd most disagreeable) may even be real. But the other differences in my gut intuition are inconsequential.

errol-kindness14-blog427.jpg

Moreover the fact that the rank ordering for the Agreement and Disagreement measures are not the same (Georgia is most disagreeable but the 3rd least agreeable; whereas Comic sans is the least agreeable but the 3rd least disagreeable) raises questions about whether the experiment was valid in measuring the same construct with both instruments.

Can't help but wonder if the differences observed have more to do with serif versus sans-serif.

Edited by Diche Bach

Can anyone objectively say why Comic Sans isn't a good font? By objectively, I mean no "hurr durr, it's bad because it sucks". Because seriously, the hate for the font is everywhere, but no one has been able to explain to me why.

I don't care about the font as long as it's readable.

Comic Sans was written for children, so when people see this font everywhere, for serious things, it seems inappropriate. It also gets a bad rep for being the go-to choice for people who like to color their emails in every conceivable color, and add animated gifs to top it all off.

So yeah.

However, as a font, it's not unreadable.

So basically you're saying that if they were using Helvetica in every conceivable colour and all that, Helvetica would get all the hate? Basically this means people hate the font just because, in my opinion.

And I've read that ''believability'' and all that. I'm simply not buying it. Did most people hate the font before the study was published? Or were they just concerned about being able to read? Because let's face it, most people don't start hating on something if it's not published. And by 'published' I mean 'not commonly thought about'.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.